Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *bunty*

Default Returning back to Britain

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have found records of the Twigg family leaving Leeds for Melbourne, Australia in 1911. They left on the Norseman, from London.

All of the family remained in Melbourne except one son, William Marwood Twigg. He married in Australia, and his wife died a year later while pregnant with their first child. William played cricket for North Melbourne up until 1920, and the next I know, he is back in Leeds, YKS, marrying Laura Bertha Lindley in 1925. So, some time between 1920 and 1925 he returns to Britain. How can I find out when he returned? Are there any shipping/passenger lists which show citizens returning to England in the early 1920s? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Geoffers

The passenger lists available on findmypast are outward passengers only, the originals are held at TNA in document class BT27. There is a corresponding series of documents for inward passengers in BT26, but this is only available at TNA, Kew.

Is a cheap-day return to Kew feasible from your part of Australia?

*bunty*

I might almost be able to manage it with frequent flyers points . I guess it is another thing to add to my list of things to do when I eventually make a trip to the UK!

Geoffers

It will sadly be a very long search. There is no central index, records are stored by port, year and ship. If you don't know where someone disembarked, and when, and what ship you could be looking for an awfully long time.

BeeJay

Back in February I read in a genealogy magazine that inbound passenger lists for people who returned to Britain in the years 1878-1933, are going to become available on ancestry sometime in 2008.

I haven't heard or read anything more on this but I hope it's true!!

*bunty*

So Geoffers, you think I should bring a flask of coffee and a sleeping bag?

It's not a huge deal. The man in question was my 2nd cousin twice removed, so not crucial to my tree in the scheme of things. I have another avenue - his two daughters are still living, and although I don't know where they live, I reckon this would be the next best bet.

sandrajgay

Western Australia www.sro.wa.gov.au/collection/passenger.asp

Queensland netlinks.slq.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/search.pl?caseful=off&stemming=on&ranking=on&refer rals...shipping&I.x=8&I.y...

Tas/Victoria https://www.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/_...esInternet.DOC

I was looking at passengers into Melbourne from the UK yesterday and I found these resources which include outward lists.

Hope they are of some help

I just googled "Migration, put in the year, and the port of destination" Nothing searchable online but the libraries will do look ups (at a cost)

Good luck

Sandra

pottoka

Smile Is this him?

I have just opened a window to A*y and been greeted by an advert for 18 million *NEW* records of UK incoming passenger lists, 1878-1960.

I looked for William and found this possibility:

Name: W M Twigg
    Birth Date: abt 1892
    Port of Departure: Sydney, Australia
    Arrival Date: 3 May 1920
    Port of Arrival: London, England
    Ports of Voyage: Melbourne, Adelaide, Fremantle, Durban, Cape Town
    Ship Name: Beltana
    Shipping Line: Peninsula and Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd

On the actual image, it says that he was an engineer.

(if you don't have a sub to the site, PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you a copy of the record and the image)

JOHN GOLDTHORP

Just read this one and my mum, one of the 2 daughters who are twins!....., both still with us....81 years young!! is with me now asking daft questions1
    john goldthorp and.... my mum thinks he came back in 1919
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 24-02-2011 at 3:33 PM. Reason: removed names of living persons - please read the AUP

Quote Originally Posted by *bunty* View Post
    I might almost be able to manage it with frequent flyers points . I guess it is another thing to add to my list of things to do when I eventually make a trip to the UK!
    UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Name W M Twigg
    Birth Date abt 1892
    Age 28
    Port of Departure Sydney, Australia
    Arrival Date 3 May 1920
    Port of Arrival London, England
    Ports of Voyage Cape Town
    Ship Name Beltana
    Search Ship Database Beltana Beltana
    Shipping Line Peninsula and Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd
    Official Number 131853

I am the neighbour of Pauline Twigg who's father you are researching who is one of the twins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast