CanadianCousin

Question APPS surname in Cornwall

Most APPS families seem to have lived in the southeast counties - e.g., Kent, Sussex, etc... - but there are a few APPS from Cornwall, especially around St. Endellion and Padstow. The earliest APPS reference I've found is the marriage of Josiah APPS to Loveday THOMAS (my 5xg-grandparents) on April 20, 1749. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out where or when Josiah was born or why he ended up in Cornwall.

I was just wondering if there's anyone else on this forum who has Cornish APPS ancestors?

Tim

MarkJ

There are a few APPS baptism entries in the Mylor/Wendron area in the mid 1800s Tim.
    The Josiah entry from 1749 at St Endellion is in the Phillimore marriages.
    A few others in the St Endellion/St Kew area and an entry in Kenwyn (Truro). Crocat (the Cornwall record office catalogue) has a few entries for the name APPS - all seem to be the Padstow/St Teath area. All mid to late 1800s.

Mark

CanadianCousin

Hi Mark,

My knowledge of Cornish geography is sketchy at best (thank goodness for Google Maps, MultiMap, etc...), but I believe that Padstow, Endellion, St. Kew, and St. Teath are all relatively close, aren't they? That would seem consistent with a slow migration from a common point of origin.

Mylor and Wendron seem a bit more of a jump, and I wonder if these were an offshoot of the Endellion APPS, or perhaps immigrants from southeast England. Mind you, my 2xg-gf, Richard APPS, moved from Endellion to St. Day in the early 1850's, presumably because of the mining boom there (he was a shoemaker, but miners needed boots).

My suspicion is that Josiah was the 'founder' of the Cornish APPS lines, and I was wondering if anyone had information to support or refute that theory.

Thanks very much for your interest.

Tim

MarkJ

Quite correct Tim, Padstow etc are all close together in North Cornwall.

Mylor and Wendron are more South Coast. St Day and Wendron are close.....and bearing in mind the entries I found were mostly from the mid to late 1800s, I suspect there is likely to be a connection with your Richard. At least one of the Apps baptisms in Mylor is the child of a Royal Marine, so he may well be from foreign (South East England ) parts!

Bearing in mind that the name is not common down here and there seem to be no earlier mentions, I would suspect your theory is correct. However, proof would be nice

Mark

nickiR

Hi Tim. just a little snippet of info but you never know it might help .... my granny who lived in Padstow had a next door neighbour called Mrs Apps, next time i see to my mum I'l ask if she knows what happened to the family and whether that line carried on ( this was during the 1950/60s) nicki

CanadianCousin

Thanks nicki -

Tim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

A daughter of Josiah Apps and Loveday Thomas had a child Johanna b 1779 in St Endellion. She had a child Joanna, I could not find her husband, who married Samuel Hill of St Endellion. Their son James Hill married a Peggy Chalk of St Just in Roseland. Their child Caroline married my Great Grandfather William Spooner from Wells next the Sea, Norfolk who eventually became an innkeeper in Stockport via St Helier, Jersey, back to Wells then up to the northwest of England

CanadianCousin

Hi Brian,

My apologies for not replying to your post sooner. Josiah and Loveday's daughter Joanna was baptized in Endellion on May 6th, 1753, so presumably born a few weeks prior to that. Joanna's first child, Richard (my 3xgreat-grandfather), was baptized on August 3, 1776, while her second child Johanna (your 3xgreat-grandmother) was baptized on February 7th, 1799, both in Endellion. In the parish register, Richard is referred to as Joanna's "natural son" and Johanna as her "natural daughter", which is a polite way of saying that they were illegitimate (i.e., Joanna wasn't married). In fact, it doesn't appear that Joanna (the mother) ever married, even though she went on to have three more children, namely: Samuel Brown APPS (1783), Elizabeth Steer APPS (1786), and Nancy Brown Apps (1789). At least with the last three children, Joanna chose middle names that provide a clue as to who their fathers were - unfortunately, I haven't found out anything about Richard's or Johanna's possible father(s) yet. It was Johanna APPS (b. 1779) who married Samuel HILL in Endellion on February 2nd, 1799. Joanna (the mother, b. 1753) was buried on November 27th, 1822, aged 69; while she was apparently buried in Endellion, the register recorded her place of abode as Port Isaac. I have the relevant excerpts from the parish registers if you're interested. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Tim
    Six years on and hours of research. All you say is just what I have found, but, more interesting is the ancestral line pre Loveday Apps. It goes way back to a Church family by way of Thomas and Veale. Then the Church family through around 7 generations to, through marriage the female side, on to De Wynton then again through marriage on the female side, to Margaret Neville. Continuing via marriages we go to Mary Taillebois de FitzRanulf and Sir Ranulph FitzRanulf, Lord of Spennithorne, then Mary Bigod to Ida Adelise, Countess of Norfolk who was the mistress of King Henry II. Ida Adelise is my direct ancestor 25 generations. There was son born of them , Sir William 'Longsword' Longespeere, who became an Earl of Salisbury. Perhaps you, like myself, find ourselves part of a rich heritage history. This has all been researched through the My Heritage website.