Thread: Glynfach

abbicass

Default Glynfach

Hi,
    am wondering if anyone can help me, l'm researching the Nichols from Glynfach in Breckonshire, have found my Gt Gt Grandfather John Nichols born abt 1797 Glynfach who was a mason, and have now met a brick wall. Wondered if anyone could give me any info on Glynfach or Boughrood Radnor where l think his Father may have come from. Any help would be very much appreciated.

John Nicholas

Hello abbicass,

Glynfach is apparently part of Llanigon parish in Breconshire. The LDS has done a proper transcription of baptisms and marriages between 1720 and 1852/3 and the only Nichols which crops up on either is the marriage of Thomas Nichols to Sarah Griffiths in 1803. Your Nichols family could of course have had John baptised elsewhere, including a non-conformist chapel.

As for Boughrood (Bochrwd) in Radnorshire, the LDS has done a transcription, but only after 1813. They might nevertheless have the registers on film, and you could check with your local family history centre. I did not spot any transcriptions available elsewhere and the registers are at Aberystwyth or at Powys record office (microfilm), neither of which is next door to Suffolk!

By the way, be aware that the LDS transcriptions assume a sudden transition from patronymic names to surnames in, I think, 1813, which is not at all the way it worked in practice. So the baptism of John Nichols, son of say Thomas Nichols, would be transcribed by the LDS as John Thomas before 1813.

John
    Last edited by John Nicholas; 08-09-2008 at 2:56 PM. Reason: additional information

abbicass

Hi John,
    thanks so much for that info, it is very much appreciated especially the marriage of a Thomas Nichols to a Sarah. I have my John Nichols in Glynfach from birth abt 1785 till his death in 1873. The only marriage l have been able to find is a John Nicholls to a Mary Price banns 24th Dec 1825, the census's confirm that he did marry a Mary. From the 51 census l have found that one of John's daughters Mary was a servant living with a Thomas Nichols born abt 1813 Glynfach, and this Thomas also has his Father living with him a Thomas Nichols born Boughrood abt 1775, because from the census Glynfach seems to have been a small hamlet and they are the only Nichols or Nicholls recorded, have been tying to find a link between John and Thomas and am now wondering if they could have been brothers.
    Thankyou for your help.