Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Chester Chronicle Friday 17 June 1825
    The TOWNSHIP and MANOR of RAVENSCROFT in Cheshire TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
    At the King's Arms, in Middlewich, in the said County, on Tuesday 28th of June, at four o'clock in the afternoon, subject to conditions to be produced
    The entire TOWNSHIP and MANOR of RAVENSCROFT, which is within a ring fence, and contains 127a 1r 20p or thereabout
    The Land is of very superior quality; 27a are water meadows on the River Dane, at a short distance from which, on a pleasant eminence, the Hall is situated, and contains a dining room about 15 feet square, drawing room 23 feet by 18 feet, seven lodging rooms, attics &c with convenient offices, stables, coach house, orchard and garden attached; there is a double and single Seat in Middlewich Church, which is distant about a mile.
    The estate is about the centre of the County, and also of the Fox-Covers;is Tithe free, and has other advantages; on a good road, and well wooded.-There is a farmhouse, a cottage and other buildings belonging to it;the Tenants hold from year to year.- William Leay, Esq, will allow the Hall to be sen. MR RANDLE SCRAGG, at the farmhouse, will show the Land; and further particulars may be had from Messrs Lee and Son, Red Brook, Whitchurch, Salop; or Mr Richard Vawdrey, Solicitor, Kinderton, Middlewich.

Not long after this the Liverpool Mercury was reporting the deaths
    3/11/1826 - On Friday last, at Solihull, in his 59th year, William Leay, Esq late of Ravenscroft Hall, Cheshire .....
    21/9/1827 - On Wednesday 12 inst, at Ravenscroft Hall, near Middlewich, Mr Richard Kent, Surgeon .......

On Friday 18th September, 1829 The Chester Chronicle carried an article describing the Chester's 4 day Musical Festival and the Fancy Dress Ball. Amongst those attending were

Buchanan, Mr W, Ravenscroft, as a light dragoon
    Buchanan, Mrs, in a fancy dress

So it would appear that William was responsible for demolishing the old Hall and building the new.

Carolemoss

Hi Deslyy,
    Your post intrigued me because I was at Ravenscroft Hall also in the mid 50's. The school was so small so we muct have known each other. I was there approx. 1954 to 1958. Can you email me at: limey43 AT juno DOT com. Thx Carole Moss
    Last edited by Jan1954; 07-05-2012 at 2:44 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter the spammers

Carolemoss

I find this so interesting as not only did I attend Ravenscroft Hall school, but my maiden name is Moss, who I now see, were at one time owners of Ravenscoft Hall. I will have to research this further now!!

Many thanks.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Carolemoss View Post
    Hi Deslyy,
    Your post intrigued me because I was at Ravenscroft Hall also in the mid 50's. The school was so small so we muct have known each other. I was there approx. 1954 to 1958. Can you email me at: limey43 AT juno DOT com. Thx Carole Moss
    Hi Carole - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Deslyy has not visited the forum for about 18 months and so may miss your post. However, if you click on her user name, a drop-down box will appear. One of the options is to send an email, which may help you to make contact.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Out of curiosity John Peel's given name was Ravenscroft and I believe they were some what well off any connection?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123