Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    *bunty*

OK, I think I have cracked this. There is a book called "Guide to the Country Houses of the North West" by J.m Robinson. I think this book will give you the information you are looking for. As far as I can tell, the house was built in 1837 for William (Theophilus) BUCHANAN. It does mention the name Wade in the link - not sure how they fit in but we did see two sisters in the house in 1851 by the name of Wade - possibly William Buchanan's wife's relatives?

Have a look at this link - this is where I found the above information.

*bunty*

Back again . The marriage of William Theophilus Buchanan to Eliza Anne Massey took place on 17 MAR 1823 at Holy Trinity, Chester, Cheshire. Needless to say at this stage they would not have been living in Ravenscroft at this stage in time. I guess the Wade connection isn't through Eliza... Perhaps it's through William Buchanan's mother? Anyway, since I am speculating now I will stop. I'll wait for the UK contingent to wake up and see what they think .

expatcat

According to Images of England - Middlewich by J.Brian Curzon and Paul Hurley it was indeed built by William Buchanan in 1837

Ron Ravenscroft

Talking Ravenscroft Hall

Hi, Many thanks for all your suggestions and help, I think I now have it-and
    entered it into my Book -to be printed this week.
    The house which stood before the present house was a Timbered and
    Gabled Mansion with a Moat on three sides.around 1440.
    about 1620, a new hall was built by the Croxtons, it was sold to J Seaman
    about 1704,who sold it to Daniel Vawdrey in 1817. In 1828 a William
    Buccannan started to restore the Hall around 1837, and sold it to Col
    Thomas Wade in 1846, In 1852 the Hall was bought by Elkana Moss, whos
    Father Edward Moss, in 1877 rebuilt 70% of the Hall with extra side wings
    and a newTower, Almost 50 yrs later in 1930 and almost derelict it was
    used as a School by the Kay family until 1964, took a battering during
    the war years, and at one time was used as a Companys offices
    Today it is Split into two private residences, known as 1-Ravenscroft House
    2.Ravenscroft Hall, the adjacent farm is called -Ravenscroft Hall Farm.
    Lot more details in my book.which includes a report from one of the
    Preavious owners. including the Ghost.
    One final point, -The contribution from our "Ossie"members is excellent,
    they seem to know more about the Ravos than us, a special thank you.
    and I hope the above info is useful to many other Ravos.

Can I please say a big "THANK YOU" to all who have offered info etc.,

Kind Regards Ron George Ravenscroft- from the "Cheshire Clan "

deslyy

George - Re Ravenscroft Hall. It was bought around 1946 by Mrs C. Plant who moved a school formerly known as Bridge School (Sandbach) into it. The school continued into the 1960s at least. Principally a girls school (day & boarding) but took boys up to the stage of 11 plus exam. I know this because I was a pupil there in the mid 50s. The farm was running when I was there but was completely seperate from the school. The February 1961 issue of Cheshire Life has an article on it.

Peter_uk_can

Re Deslyy's reply. Where else would this kind of information be found, if not here.

A perfect example of the real purpose of the B.G Forums.
    Last edited by Peter_uk_can; 07-01-2010 at 5:22 PM. Reason: not enough yy's in deslyy

BritChris

Does anyone know if there was a fire at Ravenscroft Hall around 1925? One of my relatives thinks one of my great aunts died in a fire at Ravenscroft Hall while she was in service there. Her name was Gladys Palin & she would have been 20 at the time of her death.

This is the only place I have seen any hisory on Ravenscroft, so I'm hoping someone here knows!

Thanks!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by BritChris View Post
    Does anyone know if there was a fire at Ravenscroft Hall around 1925? One of my relatives thinks one of my great aunts died in a fire at Ravenscroft Hall while she was in service there. Her name was Gladys Palin & she would have been 20 at the time of her death.

This is the only place I have seen any hisory on Ravenscroft, so I'm hoping someone here knows!

Thanks!!
    This must be the death registration
    Gladys Palin age 20 Sept q 1925 Northwich 8a 275
    The death cert should tell you how she died.

deslyy

I can't add anything to my earlier note about Ravenscroft Hall but thought people might like to know that if you enter the name into Google, then click on 'Images' at top left there is, amng hundreds of pictures, a very good photo of the Hall in (I guess) around 1910-30. The covered walkway was no longer there in the 50s but otherwise it is pretty much the same. The aspect shown faces roughly south, and the tree on the right was there when I was at school, but I have never seen the strange ornamental thing in the forefront before.

Rollo

Post Ravenscroft Hall

Hi Ron in one of my books I came across this

"Mr Vaundry, of Tushington Hall, in notes contributed to the Cheshire Sheafin dated 1833, writes, "The then Ravenscroft Hall was an old timbered-gabled mansion with the remains of a moat on the three sides consisting of about 127 acres of Park and farmland. The Hall is situated on an eminence commanding fine views towards the South and the East. In 1837 most of the House was pulled down and a rebuilt in a modern style in 1877 the rest of the old fortified Hall was pulled down and rebuilt. All that remains today of the old Hall is the moat".

www.
    ravenscroft.za.net

Regards
    Rollo Ravenscroft
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 04-12-2011 at 9:07 AM. Reason: direct link to personal website - please read our Terms of Service

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast