Rob.Will

Default Navy Boxing Records

I have a great uncle who served in the Royal Navy from 1912 and was apparently a good boxer. Does anyone know how I might track down any records in this area that might be in the public domain? Incidently, he was called Robert Palmer and was in the battle of Jutland...and lived.

Geoffers

I've moved this thread to the Royal Navy as it seems to fit better than Army.

I would think this would come under Sports and Social - possibly try the RN museum at Pompey as a starter. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread for a link to the museum

postumus

Default Boxing records.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.Will View Post
    I have a great uncle who served in the Royal Navy from 1912 and was apparently a good boxer. Does anyone know how I might track down any records in this area that might be in the public domain? Incidently, he was called Robert Palmer and was in the battle of Jutland...and lived.
    Hi Rob.Will

My father-in-law, name Henry James Hatch, served in the RN from 1902-1919. He was rumoured to have boxed while in the navy and I wondered if you had any luck finding your great uncle? Perhaps thery fought each other? At the moment I have had no luck finding boxing records in the RN records, but then, I'm no expert.

postumus.

Rob.Will

Hi there,

No, unfortunately I haven't managed to find any more out about him just yet. If I get any success I will let you know and good luck with your search.

Rob.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.Will View Post
    My grandfather Leonard Henry Spencer was a stoker on HMS Birmingham and fought at Jutland, and survived as well. He was also a beaten finalist in a Navy Boxing competition for which he received a silver cup. Have you come across Len Spencers name as a boxer who fought your uncle. The cup is in the possession of some relative but it is years since I have seen it. I only know some one has it, but don't know who, but I would love to find some record of te bout.

Rob.Will

Default Boxing

Hi Carlisle,

I haven't been able to find anything out about my great uncles boxing record and haven't come across your ancestor either. Hope you have more success than I did.

Regards,

Rob.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Navy boxers, I have a grand uncle, John Alexander Stewart who was champ for the Med. Fleet middle weight in 1900 to 1902 era and possibly boxed at events until 1912 when his time was up. He was on Prince George, Trafalgar & Vengeance during the early period. Family legend say his boxing portrait hung in the RN Museum at Malta. I enquired about the museum and apparently it was wound up so dont know what became of the items there. What has become of all those RN sporting photos as it was a big deal at that time.
    regards Vaughan

The crew list of HMS Birmingham at the Battle of Jutland.
    https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/birmingham