Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Valued member of Brit-Gen Aussie Shep's Avatar

my ancestors come from East Finchley & St Pancras so I am of to search the website for the above cemeteries to see if they can help people from overseas with research.

Quote Originally Posted by sue1 View Post
    Hi Feen, I don't suppose you have come across the graves of George Foster 1844 - 1911- naval pensioner - and his Wife Mary Ann (nee Rowland). I think they would also be buried close to Emily Sinclair who was Mary Ann's sister.

I suspect they are all buried in Highgate but understand it is 10 per person to find the grave and I have to buy a pass (I believe a relative pass) to get in. Since I live in Nth Cambridgeshire I am unlikely to visit but it saddens me.

Anyone looking for London burials should not forget the "Battersea Cemetery". It is in Morden, Surrey (I used to live quite close to it and as a very young teenager, tested whether I could walk in highheels (very high heels) in the cemetery - I couldn't and I envied those resting people then!)
    It is an enormous cemetery.

There is also a beautiful old cemetery near the new (not so new now) Charing Cross Hospital - some historic graves - I believe there is an Indian chief in there somewhere.

I understand with regard to Highgate Cemetery that it is one of only three "private" cemeteries in London (hence the visiting restrictions and I believe there has also been vandalism there) - don't know what the other two were/are. I gather, early on, it was felt the local authorities did not bury adequately, i.e. dogs dug up bones etc and three private cemeteries were started - whether this is accurate or not I don't know but sounds reasonable.

Sue
    Hi Sue, I'm afraid I've found this post rather late in the day and yes, the Cemetery Friends will charge for a search of the records to ascertain whether your relatives are buried there, and the location of their graves. This info is available for free on microfilm in Camden local archives so if it's difficult for you to travel to London, maybe you could ask a friend who lives in London to help out?

Highgate was one of 7 original private cemeteries built around London in the 1830s and 1840s to provide secure and sanitary new resting places for the capital's dead - and this was in response to the terrible conditions prevailing in the many overcrowded little inner city graveyards. The seven new cemeteries were known as The Magnificent Seven! I believe that today Highgate is the only one privately owned (by the Friends of Highgate); the other six cemeteries are in local authority hands (I may be wrong here, but I think it's the case).

Starting to feel at home.

According to my mother, her father (died 1921) was buried in Highgate Cemetery. His grave was near to that of Karl Marx, and his widow used to get furious that people trampled all over grandfather's grave to look at Marx's !

Eventually, Marx was reburied elsewhere - so grandfather was then left in peace !

I must check this out, and if he is really there, visit his grave at some time.

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    my ancestors come from East Finchley & St Pancras so I am of to search the website for the above cemeteries to see if they can help people from overseas with research.
    Hi Aussie Shep
    If you have any luck finding your ancestors in Islington and St Pancras cemetery in East Finchley I visit there from time to time as various family members are buried or commemorated there and if you manage to obtain grave references I am quite willing to have a look round and see if a gravestone or anything tangible still exists. It is an absolutely huge place, nicely kept but also with many overgrown sections.
    I also often visit New Southgate Cemetery (also known as Great Northern Cemetery) a couple of miles down the road this is also a huge place but they have impeccable records and are very helpful. Again, if grave references are available, I can always have a look round (If the summer ever arrives !)
    Cristol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123