Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll Call

Oxcomper

I am doing a one place study on the village of Appleton with Eaton in Oxfordshire (Berkshire pre 1974). It started with my family tree, which blossomed so much it took in a lot of the families in the village who had all inter married. They I got into looking at the buildings etc. I am interested in pretty much everything to do with the parish (and some of the surrounding ones too as families are sometimes just over the border).

Welcome in! I hadn't realised how long it is since anyone had posted a OPS until I saw your message.

Your story is much like mine - stuck on my own tree and curious when Historic Scotland listed my Partner's house, the study rapidly spread from one house to the (small) village, and thence to the parish. And yes, I'm fighting the temptation to spread to the nearest other parishes! Fortunately, I still have a few problems to solve, and new info keeps coming available.....

thewideeyedowl

Default Towans, Whitsome

Hi Lesley

Have you by any chance got any info on the - presumably large - property called Towans? In the 1911 Scotland Census, the landed proprietor was William G PEARETH(?), 49. He was the head of a household comprising 19 people - wife, four children, a cousin, a visitor (teacher of dancing), a governess, housekeeper, lady's maid, kitchen maids, and butler. So this was obviously a BIG place. Everyone except the housekeeper and lady's maid was born in England.

Of more interest, though, to me is Towans Stable Cottage, which was probably(?) on the estate. That is where I have just found my brickwall grandfather (Thomas James Astle). He is living there with his wife, Alice, and he is working as a chauffeur - quite possibly for Mr PEARETH(?). Thomas and Alice were born in England - I have details - so I suspect that Thomas may have moved with his employer at some stage(??). (NB Alice was not my grandmother.)

Sorry I have not got the Census Enumeration details from Scotland's People, but the page relates to the parish of Monkton & Prestwick - have just downloaded the page and I really am all a-flutter here to think that I finally have a breakthrough with this grandfather. Will be following up more old threads later.

Better break for lunch now...

Owl

I'm sorry, Owl, but Monkton & Prestwick was a parish in what was Ayr until the 1975 reorganisation. Whitsome is in Berwickshire...

I've had a look at the Valuation Rolls for 1905 and 1915, either side of the 1911, and there's no sign of Peareth or Astle, so it doesn't look as though they were there for long.
    The 1905 and 1915 show the owner of Towans Villa as as James Robertson, wine merchant. It has stables,, outhouses and a house & stables (presumably what became the garage) occupied by the coachman in 1905. By 1915, the Villa and stables cottage have a tenant, Robert Howie, with a groom in the stables. The VR was made every year, but they're not all on line.
    Of course the 1911 shows Peareth as a landed prop, not that he owned Towans..I see that in 1901, he was "living on own means".

I've checked Scotland's Places, can't find Towans... However, that nice Mr Google turned up the Towans Hotel on the listed buildings site, built bet 1888-1902. It's HERE on the RCAHMS site.... Looking at the 1911 census, I think it's the same building...

There's no Scottish death cert for Thomas.

thewideeyedowl

Default Thank you

Thank you, Lesley - yes, the place would seem to fit the bill, wouldn't it? Certainly BIG. I'll search for the Peareth family another time.

My interest is really in Thomas, and I will be returning to my first-ever thread in a few mins. He lived much of his life in Long Cross, Surrey, but I now know that he was in Whitsome, Scotland at least between 1911 Census and the birth of his son in 1914; served in the ASC during WW1; seems to have been leading a double life during the '20s and '30s - there are electoral registrations for him both in London and at Long Cross (but if curious about that aspect, you must pm me); and he died in Long Cross in 1951.

Still, this census find is a little bit of a breakthrough with this baffling man. And 'every little helps', as the slogan has it.

Thanks again.

Owl

You didn't say why he was in Whitsome, just mentioned Towans on the other side of the country. I'll look and see if there's anything in my database.

To prevent duplication, and because this thread is moving away from an OPS rollcall, I have moved the last 2 messages to Brickwalls HERE where the old thread has been revived.

I am also closing this thread. If anyone wants to add to the OPS roll call, please start a new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12