Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Have you researched other KING families in Tasmania?
    Have you researched the witnesses on her second marriage certificate?

You do not have any documented evidence at all of a birth place? (forgetting all family legends.) In the absence of other evidence, then she could have been born in Tasmania, mainland Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, anywhere

The key is to find the Hopcroft / King marriage. You must have that before looking for her birth.
    ChristineR

ValBotica

Default Annie Maria

Christine,
    Thank you for your reply.
    On Annie's death certificate Number 596 - 7328 - from District of Mersey she died 27 april 1898 Latrobe - name and surname Ann Catlin born England - 68yrs wife of Catlin - Laborer Latrobe .

Allpress and Annies witness to their marriage were John and Ellen Dixon so I am off to see what I can find.

Many thanks
    Val

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I didn't realize that her death certificate would record her birthplace - that is terrific! Usaully they are accurate, I have only one of mine say England when the place was Australia.

Have you been able to check the local newspapers for any notices about her death or her second marriage? or even the Hopcroft death. If she really was from a well to do family, then there might be few lines in the newspaper.

I was a bit wary of the birthplace if it was only from later family hearsay - some families went to a lot of trouble to pretend that they had never heard of Tasmania if there was the slightest chance that someone may find out about a convict link.

I had a look in the Tasmanian pioneer index, the John and Ellen Dixon did not seem to tie in with a King family. Ellen's maiden name could be POILE. They first appear having children registered in 1877, but did not marry in Tasmania.

Hopefully her first marriage will turn up somewhere.
    ChristineR

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool annie maria king

hi guys,
    I have just been reading your posts on annie maria king
    its great that you have found out where she was born.
    her parents are Nichols king and annie pearce for England.i have a copy of both marriages and I have found out that allpress catlin was a convict that's how he got to Tasmania.
    I am doing research for my mother who is in her 80s and this is her great grandmother so it would be great if I could get the family tree done before she dies if anyone has any pictures of annie maria king could they let me know she o could share it with my mother.
    annie maria king went under a couple of different names that's why it was hard to find her.
    born as annie maria king
    died as ann catlin
    how confusing is that but we still don't know how she got to Tasmania from England was she a convict or did she just come over to Tasmania this is the question

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by blinnie View Post
    its great that you have found out where she was born.
    her parents are Nichols king and annie pearce for England.
    I am curious, how did you work out who her parents were?

The death entry is incorrect, Annie Maria was 58 when she died, not 68.

In memoriam:

CATLIN - In loving memory of my dear mother, Annie Maria, who departed this life April 27, 1898, at Latrobe; aged 58.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/84554003

Annie suffered from severe post natal depression and was admitted to the New Norfolk asylum on two occasions after giving birth in 1872 and 1881. Her age in 1872 was given as 31, and in 1881 as 38, so she was probably born around 1840. You can see the admission registers with case notes here:

https://stors.tas.gov.au/HSD285-1-391

https://stors.tas.gov.au/HSD285-1-394

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Annie Maria king

My mother is annie Maria kings daughters granddaughter and she told me that they were her parents
    That how I know

Dundee10

I can see a Nicholas KING/Ann PEARCE couple on a few family trees on Ancestry. They lived in Cornwall and their two youngest daughters were named Caroline Ann Maria Pearce (1831) and Anna Maria (1834). In 1851 they are living in Charlestown and both girls married there - Caroline in 1855 and Anna Maria in 1858. Father named as Nicholas (a farmer) for both. They can both be followed on census records and were still in England in 1871.

https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/

Do you have your Annie Maria on a census record? It might help to work out an approximate date of immigration.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi there,
    the only cencus that I have is in England
    I will be searching for her birth certificate so will let you know.
    Annie maria husband allpress catlin was a convict so we know he came to Tasmania because of being a convict
    not sure about annie maria immigration as yet
    can u tell me annie maria married name in England

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12