cirstybewick

Red face what sort of labourer????

hi
    i think i have found my grt grt granfarther,
    in the 1901 cenus it has him as a general labourer but on he's son marriage cert it say's electricion. would this be under the labrourer section or has he just changed he's job lol

Jan1954

How old was your great, great grandfather in 1901? Was it earlier or later than his son's marriage certificate?

It may well be that he was a labourer as a lad and then trained as an electrician.

If it was the other way round, he may have been a labourer so as to undertake some work whilst looking for a job as an electrician.

cirstybewick

Talking

hi
    it would appear (if i have the correct person????) that he was 39 when he's son got married!!!
    also another quick question he's farther nor he's new wife's farther where not witnesses to there marriage would that mean that they never approved of there marriage??? she was 9 mths preg with my grandad!!!

cirstybewick

Talking

forgot to mention that my grt grandad was married 1912 so it was later
    cirsty

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by cirstybewick View Post
    it would appear (if i have the correct person????) that he was 39 when he's son got married!!!
    So, he may have trained as an electrician from being a labourer when he was a lad.
    also another quick question he's farther nor he's new wife's farther where not witnesses to there marriage would that mean that they never approved of there marriage???
    Not necessarily. They may not have been at the wedding for other reasons - were the happy couple runaways? Was the wedding held in the home parish of either of them? Had either of the respective fathers died by then? I have a marriage certificate of a several great where the wedding took place other than in the home parish and the witnesses were a brother and a cousin.

cirstybewick

Talking

i don't think they were runaways and i am pretty sure they were married in there home parishes, one of the witnesses was the brides brother, not sure on the other witness.
    useually it would say if the farther was dead, it says that on my grandad farther's marriage cert???
    i will go with wiliam's dad being a labrourer as a lad and then training as an electricion. (that's if it's the correct person on the 1901 census) i am waiting on a birth cert to see if the mother's name's are the same?
    keep finger's crossed!!!

Xantippe

I am not sure you can rely on Marriage certificate information. Both my mother and paternal Grandfather have their fathers as deceased and both were very much alive. My mother also had her father down as an Army Officer when in fact he was a Private for the duration of WWl and then a Carter. If I hadn't known him I would have believed the certificate. People are not always as honest as we would like them to be.

Xantippe

Reputation beyond repute

Marriage certificates are notorious for overstating fathers' occupations. Unless you have other supporting evidence I would assume that he was actually a labourer. Labourer in a power station perhaps

brianb

Are there any "directories" for the years between. Sometimes (if head of house) they state occupation. e.g. Cardiff has Western Mail directories which list addresses and names (sometimes occupations) of main occupier.
    Brian

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

My great, great grandfather was a labourer in a timber yard and he lived to 1927. When his daughter married in 1917 she said that he was a carpenter yet I have not found any evidence of that, just that he was a general labourer in a timber yard. She probably said that he was a carpenter to make it look posh on the marriage cert.

Ben