Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    LittleAllie

Hello everyone, I'm rather new to this so I apologise in advance if this has already been answered many times and I just can't see where.

I am replying to JP's query about the hospital: this was the old Bromsgrove General, but not the old workhouse part on Birmingham Road, the single story building that was accessed off All Saints Road and has long gone (now under a housing estate...what else). I was born there, and my mum worked in that building as a nurse for many years (although long after the wars) and recalls using sphymos kept in boxes with "U.S. Army" printed on them. She is fairly certain that that building was built for the army and converted to NHS later on.
    Hope that helps...actually, this thread has helped me out too: I live in one of the old nail-makers cottages in Holly Road and have, somewhat half-heartedly, I must admit, been looking into its past alongside the family tree stuff. I'd wondered why I couldn't find reference to Holly Road before about 1901 (I think) census...I'll try 'Holly Lane' next time! Thanks for the hint. Allie.

LittleSpark

Hi Allie,
    Welcome to the forum - I'm quite new myself but have found people to be friendly and helpful.
    As you live in Sidemoor can you help me? I've been researching the name Troth for a cousin of mine and they all appear to come from the Sidemoor/Catshill area.
    On 1911 census the 'postal address' for Dorcas Troth (widow of Enoch) is given as Brirestone(? hard to read), Nr Bromsgrove. Would this be another part of Catshill as Dorcas and Enoch lived there.
    Other names I'm researching are Smallwood (Dorcas' maiden name), Lammas, Halfpenny and Gossage.
    Any information you can give would be appreciated.

SCRITTI

Hello,
    I think your Brirestone is probably Brimstone Lane, Dodford near Bromsgrove.
    Also -I'm more than likely related to you - I have your all of the surnames you mention in my tree (focusing very heavily on the Gossages and Troths as these are great and gggrandparents surnames) I have a massive tree of Bromsgrove and Belbroughton families who all seem to be rather intertwined - its complicated......
    Get in touch if you want any info!
    Lesley

LittleSpark

Hi Lesley.
    I've found the Troths very complicated as you say - surname has been transcribed wrongly on quite a few census and caused me many a headache in trying to track them down.
    I'll look up some queries I have and will get in touch with you if you don't mind helping me out.
    I think you may be right about it being Brimstone and not Briretone.
    Speak to you soon. Thanx a lot.

LittleSpark

Quote Originally Posted by SCRITTI View Post
    Hello,
    Also -I'm more than likely related to you - I have your all of the surnames you mention in my tree (focusing very heavily on the Gossages and Troths as these are great and gggrandparents surnames) I have a massive tree of Bromsgrove and Belbroughton families who all seem to be rather intertwined - its complicated......
    Lesley
    Hi Lesley,
    I posted a thread for information on Enoch Troth a couple of weeks ago so you may have read it.

Here we go on the Troths:-
    My paternal grandfather was Joseph Parkes from Old Hill, Rowley Regis - son of Israel Parkes and Sarah Russon.
    His sister, Doris Evelyn Parkes married Walter George Troth (b1910).
    Walter George was the son of Walter Troth (1885) and Edith Priddey.
    Walter was the son of Enoch Troth (1855) and Dorcas Smallwood.
    Enoch was the son of Richard Troth (1821) and Elizabeth Crawford.
    Richard was the son of Samuel Troth (1794) and Ann Manning.

Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel & Ann married James Halfpenny 1850.

Samuel (1842) son of Richard & Elizabeth, married Louisa Lammas 1860.
    Elijah (1854) son of Richard & Elizabeth, married Myra Lammas 1871.
    I believe Louisa and Myra were the daughters of Thomas and Sophia Lammas - sisters to Jabez Lammas (mentioned in earlier Bromsgrove threads
    which prompted me to join the forum).

As I cannot get to Worcester, I have obtained most of my information from Family Search (I.G.I.) - I know from experience mistakes occur on this site so I check any information against the census. Anything I can't tie up is left off the Family Tree and noted in my files.

Do any of these names match up with yours?

SCRITTI

Question

Hello again!

These Troths will be the death of me but here goes:

From your last post I'd agree about Samuel and Elijah's marriages to the Lammas Girls and their parents.
    I also agree that Richard and Elizabeth had Enoch but then it gets very confusing.

There are 3 Enoch/Enocks around born c 1856/57/58 and they are giving me a headache!

One is Enoch Troth (abt 1856) possibly Archer possibly another surname entirely, son of Elizabeth Troth (dau of William 1801 and Elizabeth) and possibly William Archer.
    He appears in 1861 with William Archer and Elizabeth with his brother Edward (all known as Archer). I think there is a second entry for Enoch and Edward( known as Troth) with grandfather William Troth and cousin Emma (daughter of Mary Ann Troth)

Then there is Enoch abt 1857 son of Richard and Elizabeth who I can't find on the 1861 or 1871 censuses abut then reappears with wife Dorcas on the 1881 , dies in 1888 and Dorcas appears as a widow in 1891.

The next Enoch abt 1858 is the son of Richard and Jane, Richard being the son of the William 1801 and Elizabeth. This Enock lives in Lickey and marries Priscilla Banner in Mar 1883 and is still around in the 1901 census. He is the most straightforward of the lot of them!

Going backwards you say Richard was the son of Samuel 1794 and Ann Manning - have you got any proof of this?

I thought Richard was the son of Samuel 1797 and Ann (I haven't got a surname or a marriage) as the ages on some of the census's and the death record are a better match and Samuel 1794 goes off to Grantham and marries Ann Eaves and appears in the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Grantham with a 1794 year of birth in 1851.

As far as I can make out so far these two Samuels are 1st cousins sharing Joseph and Sarah as grandparents.

I'll be off to Worcester in the next couple of weeks to do some more digging so if you have any specific Troth queries you'd like looked up I'll be glad to help.

I'm descended from Charles Troth (Samuel 1797's brother) and Mary Smith, they are my gggg grandparents twice over.

That's all for now as the Troths are giving me brain ache!

Lesley

Debo

Smile crawfords of bromsgrove

Dear lesley i am researching the crawfords of bromsgrove in particular kate whose mom was emma do you have any info on them. am waiting for kates birth cert as her dad might have been a halfpenny. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRITTI View Post
    Hello,
    Lesley

roger201180

if you stand in broad street and look at the junction it was directley in front of you it is no longer there it is now just a house

roger201180

ive just read this post and i used to go to school with ..... who lived in broad street just alittle up the road from pleck stores that is going back from 21 yrs ago so you might be on the right track
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 08-09-2011 at 9:10 PM. Reason: removed name of possibly living person - please read our Terms of Service

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,
    i'm aware this is a very old thread but i have just discovered it! Are you still researching the Waldrons? i know there are a few families of Waldrons (Not all related) but my nan was a Waldron. From Romsley,5 girls and a boy in that generation

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234