Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Martin Stephens

Question Looking for Bromsgrove local knowledge

Hello,

I'm trying to find out where the Pleck Stores were located on Crab Tree Lane, Sidemoor, Bromsgrove. Please can anybody help? I suspect that they were close to the junction between Crab Tree Lane and Broad Street but I'm not sure.

Regards

Martin

Keith Houghton

Martin

Greetings from Sydney! Has anyone answered your query regarding the Pleck Stores yet? I have only just seen this. I was born and brought up in Perryfields Crescent in the Sidemoor district (1938-c.1962) and my parents lived there until 1990. I remember Pleck Stores well, and have been there many times; it was located on Crabtree Lane, exactly facing up Broad Street, so that as you walked down Broad Street you effectively walked towards it. My recollection was that there were no other shops on either side, it was quite on its own. In the 50's it was owned by a family whose surname was George, and was locally known as "Georges' " rather than by its more formal name.
    Hope this helps but if you have any further queries, please get in touch. I don't have a Bromsgrove map to hand but can find one without much trouble.

Regards

Keith Houghton

Martin Stephens

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the reply, you are the first. I can visualise the location of the the Pleck Stores from your description. The reason that I was asking was that my Lammas ancestors were living in the Pleck, Sidemoor in every census since 1841 but I could never locate the Pleck on any map! When I learnt of the Pleck stores I thought that this could give me a clue.

From a 1902 OS map of Sidemoor, there is a small square of cottages off Crabtree Lane opposite the end of Broad Street. Was this the Pleck? Was Broad Street also known as the Common? These are two locations that I have some trouble identifying.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Martin

SCRITTI

Unhappy Bromsgrove Local Knowledge

Hi I'm also having trouble figuring out where Sidemoor Common was, and also Pitchen or Puchen, Mauncies Hall or variants of, sidemoor allotments, cuckolds corner.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    I'm researching the Peplows, Gossages, Troths, Wakemans, Woods, Waldrons, Kendalls, Crocketts, Muggs, Davenports, Laughers, Ashfields, Tranters to name but a few from Bromsgrove and Belbroughton.
    Cheers
    Lesley

Martin Stephens

From the 1841 Census (HO107 piece 1195/6 folio 2):

"Enumeration District 9 -- From the Brook in Rotten Row, the Foundery Yard and Houses by the Park, both sides of Rotton Row, The Putcheon, Hundred House, Bewelhead, the whole of Sidemoor except the Pleck and Church Lane."

Actually going through the Census returns there are some houses in Stourbridge Road mentioned between Rotten Row and the Putcheon.

Looking at the 1902 1:2500 scale OS map of the area, I believe that Rotten Row was the nick name for Stourbridge Street, which approximates to the area around the junction between the Strand, Market Street, Stourbridge Road and Birmingham Road on modern maps. The enumerator then headed north on Stourbridge Road, which was not built up in 1902, until he reached a cluster of houses north of the junction between Stourbridge Road, Santridge Lane and All Saints Road. I think that this cluster was "the Putcheon". He then continued north to the junction between Stourbridge Road and Bewell Head. In 1902 there was a small group of houses and the Hundred House Inn at the junction so I think that this is the area known as "Hundred House".

I tried to attach a map in .GIF format but although it is 17Kb on my computer, the BBS says it's 30Kb and too big! :-(

Regards

Martin

Keith Houghton

Lightbulb Bromsgrove locations

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delay in commenting on your latest. I think you are right about Rotten Row; it was the extension of Stourbridge Street where it meets with the Strand. However, I have never heard of the Putcheon, although there were certainly a row of Victorian cottages immediately north of Santridge Lane in the 50’sand 60’s, and they might still be there now.

I have not been back to Bromsgrove for 15 years, but the Old Hundred House was on the corner of Bewell Head and Stourbridge Road when I was last there. It was converted into the British Restaurant during the WWII (I think this was part of the community war effort: I remember eating there once as a child, we purchased plastic counters which we exchanged for a meal). After the war it was turned into a private residence by a family named Goode, who had six or seven daughters (no sons!). The Hundred House was replaced by a new pub of the same name, situated some 200 metres further north on the corner of Broad Street with Stourbridge Road. There is a rather charming drawing of the Old Hundred House dating from 1875, reproduced in the Bromsgrove Society’s “Bygone Bromsgrove Picture Book” 1983.

On your earlier email, I think you have correctly pinpointed the Pleck on the 1902 SO Map, but I have never heard of Sidemoor Common. I am in touch with some Bromsgrove contacts with local history knowledge, and will try to obtain answers or get them to write direct to the website.

Regards,
    Keith

Keith Houghton

Default Mauncies Hall

Quote Originally Posted by SCRITTI
    Hi I'm also having trouble figuring out where Sidemoor Common was, and also Pitchen or Puchen, Mauncies Hall or variants of, sidemoor allotments, cuckolds corner.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    I'm researching the Peplows, Gossages, Troths, Wakemans, Woods, Waldrons, Kendalls, Crocketts, Muggs, Davenports, Laughers, Ashfields, Tranters to name but a few from Bromsgrove and Belbroughton.
    Cheers
    Lesley
    Lesley:
    Sorry I can’t help you with your placename queries at this stage--see my latest post to Martin. Could Mauncies Hall be Monsieur’s Hall in Fockbury? This was known as Mountseir Hall until around 1815. The name could well have been corrupted orally to "Mauncies"?

Keith

Martin Stephens

Cool

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Broad Street was nicknamed "The Common" and I think that the Common in census returns refers to a road and not an open area of land. I may have read it in the Bygone Bromsgrove history book which was published to accompany the Bygone Bromsgrove Picture Book (?).

Looking through the 1881 census returns, Cuckhold's Corner (transcribed by the LDS as 'Cookholds Corner'!) appears right after the entry for the Duke of York public house. In my opinion this would place it in the centre of Sidemoor on the junction between Broad Street and York Road. In the 1886 OS map there is a small cluster of houses here.

I think that the Sidemoor Allotments refers to the area west of Broad Street and north of Crabtree Lane. The census returns generally go along the Common (Broad Street?), through the Allotments and along Crabtree Lane. This route is not interrupted by references to Providence Square, Holly Lane or Churchfields that lie to the East of Broad Street.

Finally, a question. What is 'Back Lane' ? My mother thinks that it was Church Road or Church Lane but is not sure.

Cheers

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Stephens; 13-03-2005 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Clarification

Keith Houghton

Sorry Martin, but I cannot make any helpful comments on your question regarding the location of "Back Lane" at this stage. In the 1940's and 50's this name was commonly used to refer to the top end of Santridge Lane, running down from Bewell Head, presumably because it ran in parallel to Stourbridge Road.
    Good luck in your searches,
    Keith

SCRITTI

Talking Bromsgrove Local Knowledge

Many thanks to Keith and Martin for the really useful info they have both given me and yes I do think Mauncies Hall was Monsieurs Hall, as I'd read something about it somewhere ages ago and it jogged my memory! I didn't know it was Fockbury though!
    Thanks again
    Lesley

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast