Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Lesley,

Many of the names are already being thoroughly researched. I have only very very distant connections, but my HANDS do meet up with the LAUGHERS. There is also a oral tale of a HANDS/TROTH connection, but as yet been unable to prove it.
    Why not come along to the next Bromsgrove branch meeting of BMSGH on the 12th April at 7.45pm at the Methodist Centre on Stratford Road.

Mike

SCRITTI

Smile Bromsgrove Local Knowledge

Hi Mke,
    Thanks for the invite - would love to come - is that OK as I'm not a member?

Lesley

Arrow Bromsgove - now an event and a meeting.

Lesley

Make another trip on Saturday the 9th April. To the Photo event I've just posted on this board.

If you have any Photos of around 100 years ago of Bromsgrovians, bring them along and add to the knowledge. I know Nailtown would be pleased to see them.

Mike

SCRITTI

Default Bromsgrove Local Knowledge

Hi Mike,
    I was planning to come to that anyway - I haven't got much in the way of very old photo's but I'll see what my dad's got. I have got a nice one of my gggrandfather Albert Peplow from what I reckon must be about 1910 - I think I'd probably recognise any other photos of him as my dad looks just like him.
    See you there!
    Lesley

Keith Houghton

Martin

While looking for something entirely different in my old mate Bill Kings' book on Bromsgrove nailmakers, “Glory Gone”, I have just come across a reference (p 76) which makes it quite clear that “The Common” was in fact another name for Broad Street.

Cheers

Keith Houghton

Talking Some answers to Bromsgrove Placenames

My contacts in Bromsgrove have now provided the following information, which I hope is useful:

The Pleck - a piece of ground. This particular one was located at the bottom of Broad Street.
    The Common - in Sidemoor - was almost the whole of the Broad Street before it got that name.
    Putcheon Inn - was on the Stourbridge Road between Victoria Road and All Saints Road. The name probably comes from the word 'puncheon' which was a liquid measure which varied from 72 (beer) to 120 (whisky) gallons.
    Rotten Row - this was at the bottom of Stourbridge Road (Parkside), so called because of the stench from the hide tanning in that area.
    Cuckolds Corner - according to Bill Kings most villages or small towns had one. Bill only knows of one, in Market Place near the brook, where there was also a ducking stool used to punish ladies who had made cuckolds of their husbands (!).
    Wm. G. Leadbetter "The Story of Bromsgrove"(1946) states that there is a Cuckolds Corner at Marlbrook,a part of Woodrow Farm, and a ducking stool, but if so the pool has long since disappeared.

Keith Houghton

A map showing the location of the Putcheon Inn (1840) is reproduced in "Bromsgrove Now & Then" by Alan and Sheila Richards, p.62.

Martin Stephens

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Houghton
    A map showing the location of the Putcheon Inn (1840) is reproduced in "Bromsgrove Now & Then" by Alan and Sheila Richards, p.62.
    Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this? It doesn't seem to be in print at the moment.

Martin Stephens

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Houghton
    Martin

While looking for something entirely different in my old mate Bill Kings' book on Bromsgrove nailmakers, “Glory Gone”, I have just come across a reference (p 76) which makes it quite clear that “The Common” was in fact another name for Broad Street.

Cheers
    I knew I had read that somewhere, but when I searched through the book I couldn't find it. Thanks Keith!

Martin Stephens

Combining Keith's generous help, the census returns and information from other Bromsgrove residents I think that we can summarise the census locations for Sidemoor as follows (using modern street names as a reference):-

The Pleck -- a square of cottages located immediately south of Crabtree Lane opposite the end of Broad Street.

The Common -- Broad Street.

The Allotments or Sidemoor Allotments -- The area west of Broad Street, roughly equivalent to Melbourne Road.

Cuckhold's Corner (aka Cookholds Corner and Cuckoo's Corner) -- Holly Road from it's junction with Holly Grove to where it ends at the junction with the Flats and Providence Road.

Back Lane -- north end of Santridge Road.

The Putcheon -- the stretch of Stourbridge Road north of the crossroads with All Saints Road and Santridge Road, probably running as far as the junction with Bewell Head.

Any further comments or information is always welcome.

My thanks to Keith and the others who have contributed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast