corkgen

Default Childrens home and Orphanage

A few yew years ago I found a Great Grand Aunt of mine in a childrens home and orphanage in Bethnal Green, London. (1901 Census)

The home was run by the Wesleyan Methodists.

I would of thought that no records would of existed but I decided to look into it.

I wrote to the National Childrens home and to my amazement and after proving my relationship I received over 30 letters 1905 -1909. application to home from the Industrial school in Wales, The original Ind. school record book for my Great Grand Aunt and several other items.

Well worth the effort of looking into it if you have similar.

Stacyleigh

Corkgen...
    I am a descendant of someone sent to Canada in 1905 as a "Home Child". I have been trying to find information regarding his intake with the Bethnal Green Union School and / or Miss Macpherson prior to being shipped here. From the information you received, do you think this would be worthwhile for me to try? Where would I look to find the address?

annevin

Default Home Children 1905

Hi,
    My Grandfather's Sister Harriet Brown aged 11 was put in the Liverpool Sheltering home in April 1892 by a friend looking after her when g/dad was away & 2 weeks later sent to Canada to work, & found in 1895 by her American mariner Father & ended up in Va Usa,she died before 1903 when G/Dad arrived to fetch her home. I obtained the record's of her sad unhappy time in Canada from Barnardos for £25.00, Address,
    Oxford Cottage,
    Tanners Lane,
    Ilford,
    Essex,
    1G6 1QG,
    United Kingdom.
    You can also obtain the Ships Manifest on Ancestry & Canada has the Home Chidren ships details,
    Best of luck,
    Anne.
    Last edited by annevin; 08-04-2009 at 8:22 PM. Reason: wrong year

sacha

Smile Children home and orphange

Hi corkgen,

I saw your msg ref above title. My Grandmother was born in the
    Union Workhouse in Tenterden Kent and I believe abandoned ,
    I am wondering if she would have been places in a childrens home.
    Who did you contact to get your information and I could contact
    them,
    Would be grateful for any info
    Sacha

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wesleyan Childrens Orphanage, Bethnal Green

Quote Originally Posted by corkgen View Post
    A few yew years ago I found a Great Grand Aunt of mine in a childrens home and orphanage in Bethnal Green, London. (1901 Census)

The home was run by the Wesleyan Methodists.

I would of thought that no records would of existed but I decided to look into it.

I wrote to the National Childrens home and to my amazement and after proving my relationship I received over 30 letters 1905 -1909. application to home from the Industrial school in Wales, The original Ind. school record book for my Great Grand Aunt and several other items.

Well worth the effort of looking into it if you have similar.
    My Grandmother is on the same Census, she was at the Orphanage in Bethnal Green in the 1901 Census. I would like to find out her history. She was Isabella Hines. Do you have the address of the National Childrens Homes, I seem to have a problem finding them

Reputation beyond repute

Do you have the address of the National Childrens Homes, I seem to have a problem finding them
    The National Archives website is always worth a visit. Even if they don't have the records they can often point you in the right direction.

And sure enough...
    A number of religious groups operated children’s homes through charities, for example the Church of England’s Waifs and Strays Society, now the Children’s Society; and the Methodists’ National Children’s Homes, now Action for Children. These large national charities have their own archives.

The "Childrens Homes" website would have provided the same information.

Now try googling.

Or go to https://www.actionforchildren.org.uk...alogy-service/