Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    busyglen

Default Farmer 19 acres?

My maternal gt.gt. grandfather, William Ladd, born Sutton, Kent, 1799 was shown as a Farmer of 19 acres with one employee, on the 1851 Census. This farm was in Sholden, Kent which is the area where two more generations lived, before moving into Deal.

By the 1861 Census he is living with his wife in Albert Place, Deal, and still a farmer. His son Stephen, is shown as living in Sholden as an agricultural labourer with his wife and children.

In 1873 William commits suicide:Newspaper Report 24th Apr. 1873.
    "Suicide at Sholden. An inquest was held at the Sportsman Public House Sholden, upon the body of a retired farmer named William Ladd who had destroyed himself in his own bedroom on Sunday morning. Louisa Ladd said "the deceased was my grandfather and aged 74 years. On Sunday morning last I went into his bedroom and found him hanging from the bed post" The jury were unanimous in returning as their verdict that the deceased hanged himself in a state of mental derangement.

From a later discussion with my Grandfather years ago, it appears that he took vegetables and produce to people from his `small holding' during hard times, and a lot of people couldn't pay, so he run into debt.

I am now somewhat confused! Would he have possibly owned the farm, or would he have rented it? I have been trying to find a Will, to discover if he owned it and it passed down to son Stephen, but at the moment I haven't been able to trace anything. However, Stephen is shown as living in the Farm house, in Sholden on the 1881 Census as a Farmer with 20 acres and 1 man, and appears to be still there in 1891. This would appear then to be the family farm?? Stephen dies in 1892 of a heart attack,due to stress, and my Grandfather tries to help as a small boy. From then on everything is sketchy, and I can't seem to find anything else about the farm.

I suspect that if it was the family farm, the youngsters couldn't keep it going and it was later sold if if was owned.

Does anyone know how I could find out anything further?

Glenys

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

I hesitate to suggest this - because I know nothing about them! - but what about tithe maps, or Valuation Office maps. The bits and pieces I have looked at about them suggest that they should show the ownership of the land, the tenant, etc - but, as I say, I don't really know if they will help!
    Some of the information for Kent seems to be on-line if you google.
    I may be leading you right up the garden path here, Glenys, but might be worth a shot!

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    I hesitate to suggest this - because I know nothing about them! - but what about tithe maps, or Valuation Office maps. The bits and pieces I have looked at about them suggest that they should show the ownership of the land, the tenant, etc - but, as I say, I don't really know if they will help!
    Some of the information for Kent seems to be on-line if you google.
    I may be leading you right up the garden path here, Glenys, but might be worth a shot!
    Hi Barbara,

I'm glad of any thoughts so please don't worry!

I did find something about tithe maps, on a thread that Geoffers had posted a while back, on a similar issue. I did look at the links he gave at the NA but I got totally lost. From memory, I think they related to an earlier period, but I may have been mistaken, so I'll go back and have another look. Thanks.

I don't really know what I am expecting to find, but I would like to know how the family fared. My Grandfather died aged 96 in the 1970s and I used to glean bits of information now and again, but of course being younger, I didn't really take so much notice of it all. Typical! At least I got my mother to write her life down, which helped!

Glenys

busyglen

Barbara, what search criteria did you use? I've tried, but got lost amongst the various maps etc.

I've also discovered that the link Geoffers left on another thread, just goes to the main Archive search page, so I can't read any more!

Never mind, I think I would have to go to view any of these records, which is not feasible at the moment.

Glenys

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Hi Glenys
    Very unsophisticated search - tithe maps!
    That brought up - amongst others - the National Archives site, which had some background information.
    I then tried - tithe maps Kent - and that brought up the website Kent maps and tithe award schedules
    https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Re...ps%20intro.htm
    which lists the various parishes or villages and - from clicking on one, gives names of owners and occupiers.
    I looked for Sholden and it was not there, but I am not at all familiar with Kent; there may be another parish name which might help.
    I hope I'm not setting you up for hours of following links all over the place - with no real information at the end ....!!!

Mutley

Glenys,
    There is an 1873 Return of Owners of Land. I believe they cover most counties. It lists every person in the county who owned 1 acre of land or more.

You would have to google for the Kent one. I don't think much has been transcribed on line yet.

Pigot's directory of Kent 1840 does not include Sholden, I looked in Deal and Dover but it does not seem to have any farmers in the trades mentioned. Maybe a later directory might.

busyglen

Thanks Barbara that's kind of you. I'll have a look later, unfortunately I've run out of time today.

I really appreciate you looking for me.

Glenys

busyglen

Thanks for your help Mutley. I will see what I can turn up.

I appreciate you looking for me, will let you know if I find anything.

Glenys

AnnB

Hello Glen

The Kent 1873 Return of Owners of Land is available from Parish Chest, if you feel like splashing out

Have you found William Ladd on his farm in 1841? I have had a quick look and he was described as a Farmer then.

Best wishes
    Ann

Colin Moretti

It would be worth getting hold of a copy (from your library?) of Maps for Family and Local History by Beech & Mitchell (TNA). It tells inter alia how to research three land surveys, the mid 19th C Tithe Commission, the Valuation Office survey of 1910-15 and the National Farm Survey of England & Wales, 1941-3. The first two at least should be relevant.

TNA (of course) also has a guidance leaflet or two:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=304
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=102 and
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=100

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast