Summer

Talking Lynch family - County Cork, possibly Galway

I'm interested in finding other people also searching the Lynch or Ó Loinsigh family in Cork particularly.
    My husband's family live in an East Cork fishing village called Ballycotton and there is a rock off the coast called Carraig Loinsigh (apologies for spelling) where legend has it the Ó Loinsigh's shipwrecked there and then came to settle in East Cork, (supposidely from Galway as one of the 14 tribes).
    At this stage our research is rather scarce dating back to my husbands great grandfather Jeremiah Lynch (baptised around 1874) who married Bridgit Walsh but not sure what year. We have found a lot of Lynchs on the indexes on the Irish Family History Foundation which are online, but have yet to make a connection. There has only been the "one" family of Lynchs in Ballycotton for ages, so hopefully this will only be a matter of time! I have also found derivatives of Lynch in the Ballycotton area (Jeremiah Linchy 1793 Marriage Cloyne and Thomas Linch 1797 Marriage Cloyne) which is exciting to think that we could go back that far. But, I'm getting ahead of myself!! Is anyone else searching about the Lynch family and if so, what have you found? I'm interested to hear different strategies for tackling Irish records also.....
    Cheers,
    Summer.

john forrest

Red face john Forrest on linch ancestors

I have linch (Lynch) ancestors, but do not know how they are connceted or related to ther linch families. My mother (her mother was a Linch) used to say her Linch ancestors were from cok county,ireland, but there is a possibiity that they may have spent some time in maryland or Lancaster county,pa. (they were not Mennonites).
    My mother's grandfather James (Jim) Linch worked for the Quad-city Times or the Davenport Democrat as a regional reporter. He was conscripted into the Civil War on the Union side, probaby in Milo Smith's comapny out of eastern Iowa. Somehow he ws capture, taken to Andersonville prison, (a Civil War union prison) and did ther of dysentary. There supposedly is a marker or monument for him there.
    There were other Linchs or Lynchs in eastern Iowa, aroun DeWitt. The spelling of the name was changed so they wouldn't receive each other's mail.
    I have seen the monuments in the cemtaryand records of land ownership in Clinton county platte books.

Summer

Very interesting John, I have little to no knowledge of USA genealogy, but I gather you need to look backwards from Jim Linch to find any Cork link (any vital records on him that may help to point to where he or family before him were from??). A lot of people have suggested to me that family "stories" usually have a grain of truth in them, but of course you need the proof to make sure!! THAT's the hard part! I'm really not sure what is available for civil war period in USA and I think it may be sketchy in Ireland around the pre-1860s in case it was Jim himself who may originally been from Ireland. When you know more, you can always try the website from the Irish Family History Foundation and the Mallow Heritage Centre for Cork records - it's free to search but you have to pay to view, hence me not including the web address. I'm waiting with baited breath for Cork to hit the census records online for 1911 (and then 1901) https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ as I think it will add some meat to my Lynch bones!! and it will give me more to work with for sure.

Oh, and welcome to BG and thanks for making your first post in my thread!! I feel very special!!

JGSchier

Default Lynch

I'm currently researching my Lynch side, and am having alot of trouble finding records out of Ireland. I tend to think that alot of records were lost or only written down in a family bible or something. My great-great-great grandfather was Frank Lynch, born in County Cork in 1831, but no matter where I search, none of the websites seem to have any information on him. So, I wish you the best of luck, and I'll let you know if I find any new sites that have good records.

Loves to help with queries

Default Cork 1911 Census now online

The Cork 1911 census is now online for free at www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ Always worth having a look at the district your family were from, even if they left before this date, as another family member may have stayed in the "home place". Ginni Swanton's site at www.ginnisw.com/corkmain.html has a wealth of links to good Cork sites.
    Jill

Summer

Hi All,

An update!
    Jeremiah Lynch was baptised in 1865 and married Bridget Walsh in c.1900 according to 1911 census, but haven't found that record yet either in parish records or civil (been looking at https://pilot.familysearch.org/record...able;c=1408347 , which I'd also suggest others to look at for Irish records, in addition to Jill's post).

Jeremiah's parents were: Michael Lynch and Margaret Harding, they married in 1863. At this stage we know of some possible siblings, although these have to be confirmed by birth records (the info gained is from census + family knowledge): Thomas b.1863, Michael b.1881, Hannah b.1881 but there is possibly a second Thomas b.1876. There may be more but haven't uncovered them as yet!!

Michael Lynch was baptised in 1829, his parents were Thomas Lynch and Ellen Grogan. Other siblings known were: Thomas 1821, Mary 1824, Jeremiah 1827, Bartholomew 1837 - I have their baptism records. There may be more!

Cheers,
    Summer.

PS - JGSchier, I found only 1 Francis Lynch [born 1831 +/- 4 years Co. Cork] on the Mallow Heritage Centre website. Actual year of baptism was 1828, so it maybe worth your while purchasing to see if this is your Frank Lynch? It may not be though, so caution. Make sure you have your evidence to get you back to that point first. Not sure what you have (certs etc) to get back to him in the first place? I'd also suggest to you and john_forrest to start threads so others can see your individual queries and therefore your Lynchs won't be lost/buried in my Lynch thread. Great to hear others looking for Lynchs in Co. Cork though! I'd love you both to keep me updated!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, I think I might be a descendant of the Lynch family Cork. My Grandmother ( my fathers mother) was Kitty Lynch (also known as Lady Catherine Lynch) daughter of Timothy Lynch and Elizabeth Casey both of Cork. Timothy lynch 1870 was a decendant of John Lynch born 1850. Egg Merchant Cork City. I am not sure how we are related? Perhaps you can work a link out?

In response to this message:
    McNeely
    Hello, I think I might be a descendant of the Lynch family Cork. My Grandmother ( my fathers mother) was Kitty Lynch (also known as Lady Catherine Lynch) daughter of Timothy Lynch and Elizabeth Casey both of Cork. Timothy lynch 1870 was a decendant of John Lynch born 1850. Egg Merchant Cork City. I am not sure how we are related? Perhaps you can work a link out?
    08-06-2009, 2:34 AMSummer

I am a relative of the above family if you need any information let me
    Know and if you have found any more information please share 😊

Quote Originally Posted by McNeely View Post
    I am related to the people mentioned above

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

have a john lynch from county cork born about 1827 not sure who his parent's are. He married a johanna calwren and lived in rolland,michigan .John lynch passed away feb.24th 1922.would like help finding out who john lynch's parent's where.