Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    JOYCHRISTA

Default THANK YOU

Hi Owen,
    Thank you so much, I am very interested in obtaining a copy of "Pembrokeshire People" and would very much appreciate being put in contact with the lady who is selling them on behalf of the estate. I would also love to buy your e-book.
    Thank you so much for your very quick response.
    I am so sorry about the cancer, I do hope you are feeling much much better.
    Wishing you all the very best,
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Orielbenfro View Post
    If you are after a copy of "Pembrokeshire People" let me know I can put you in contact with a woman that is selling them off on behalf of the Richard Rose Probate Estate for £45 each.
    IF you have an interest in Joe King that great friend of H. Nelson then you will find his headstone and a write up in my e-book on the headstones and memorials of Monkton St Nicholas. Book cost £5 plus £1.50
    Can not remember but pretty sure that both the above have reference to direct descendent from John who live is Austalia and had attempted to get a new headstone to Joe King (Real name Joquam Mendez).
    Excuse slow reply, Cancer can make some difficult hold ups.
    Rgds
    Owen V.

drglos

Default William Griffiths of St Michaels, Pembroke

Hello Owen,

My 3G Grandfather was William Griffiths who according to the 1851 census was born at St Michaels in Pembroke. He was schoolmaster at Lamphey for over 30 years and is buried there.

Would you have a record of his baptism (c1799) or marriage to Martha from Cosheston (c1825)?

Regards, David

Brick wall demolition expert!

David,

27 Jan 1799 Willm Griffiths was baptised at Pembroke, St. Michael, the son of Mary and Thomas.

I can't find a marriage which matches the parameters that you have given. Hopefully Owen might be able to help you with that.

Megan

drglos

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    David,

27 Jan 1799 Willm Griffiths was baptised at Pembroke, St. Michael, the son of Mary and Thomas.

I can't find a marriage which matches the parameters that you have given. Hopefully Owen might be able to help you with that.

Megan
    Great, thanks Megan.

sallypater

Default Joshua Cousins 1781 Freystrop

Good afternoon, with great interest I read your posts about Joshua Cousins who was born in Freystrop, son of John and Elizabeth. I am a descendant to Johns younger brother Phillip who was born in 1797 in Freystrop and I just wondered if you happen to have more info about him or the parents. Thank you and kindest regards from Holland. Sally

sallypater

I have since discovered that a John 1781, James 1784, George 1786 and Elizabeth 1788 all born in Freystrop are also attributed to John and Elizabeth Cousins in quite a few family histories but I can not find any baptisms or any proof. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ! Sally

Sally

I have got a lot of information about the Cousins from Freystrop, but I am not at home today, so will not be able to respond until tomorrow.

When I do I will send you a notification as I will start a new thread in order to keep them separate.

Megan

Orielbenfro

I'm, afraid that I am stuck in hospital and have been here for Xmas and New Year with no idea of when I shall get out or what I can do to help further. For "PEMBROKESHIRE PEOPLE" go to Dyfed Web site and you should see Rosalie Lilwall's address. If not let me know and if and when I get out of Hospital I will call on her. Can you let me have a contact address.
    Rgds

Sally

Having said that I was going to start another thread, you will see that I have changed my mind.

There are a couple of points to bear in mind when researching “Cousins” in Pembrokeshire:

1. The spelling of their name is not fixed until very late on. The number of variations is increased by some very bad transcriptions. So when searching always bear that in mind.

2. Most of the Pembroke Dock Cousins worked in the Royal Naval Dockyard and as such moved around the various naval dockyards in the UK – Devonport; Chatham etc. Most of those in Pembroke Dock are not related to Cousins elsewhere in Pembrokeshire. Although that rule does not apply to Joshua.

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to connect the various Cousin families in Pembrokeshire, looking for the link to an elusive ancestor. One of my great grandmothers was a Cousins / Couzens / Cozens etc.

When looking for Cousins in Freystrop you will find a lot of references to a farm called “Targate”, and there is apparently a Cousins family bible (which I have not seen) which indicates that Cousins have been farming at Targate for over 400 years. I got that snippet from a book called “Freystrop & Folk”, which was written as Millennium Project by the village. Its author is Beryl Davies.

The 1841 Census as you no doubt know is limited in the information it provides. I am pretty certain that the family living in Pope Hill, parish of Johnston (which is next door to the parish of Freystrop) is the Targate family. I haven’t found any 1841 census record specifically listing Targate. That Census shows:

First name(s) Last name Age Birth place
    Phillip Cousens 40 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Elizabeth Cousens 40 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    William Cousens 13 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    George Cousens 12 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Anne Cousens 10 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    James Cousens 8 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Elizabeth Cousens 7 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Jane Cousens 5 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Peter Cousens 4 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    John Cousens 2 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Phillip Cousens 0 Pembrokeshire, Wales
    Elizabeth Cousens 85 Pembrokeshire, Wales

I assume that Elizabeth aged 85 is Phillip’s mother, that Elizabeth aged 40 is his wife and that the rest are his children.

It’s probable that Elizabeth aged 85 was a widow, and that she was the Elizabeth Jones who married John Cousins 12 Dec 1778. However, there is no corroborative evidence to assert that. There is however, no other marriage in Freystrop that seems to fit.

In addition to the baptisms listed by Oriel for John and Elizabeth, I also have an Elizabeth baptised in 1789. But I have not found the baptisms that he has for William and Joshua. That may be because the parish records I largely rely on at Findmypast are incomplete.

Phillip married Elizabeth Williams 10 May 1825 in Freystrop. She was born about 1800 in Steynton, Pembrokeshire. He died 1880, and she between 1851-1861. The death registers at that time do not give the deceased’s age and there is more than one Elizabeth Cousins dying at that time.

I have the following children for Phillip and Elizabeth:
    1. William baptised 11 Nov 1827 Freystrop and died 1887 in Pembroke. He married Maria Millard (1825-1902) in 1862 at Pembroke. I don’t believe that they had any children.

2. George baptised 22 Mar 1829 Freystrop and died 1914 in Newport, Monmouthshire. He married Margaret Catherine Ebsworth (1827-1898) in 1854 in Newport. He was a ship’s carpenter, and if you follow them through the censuses, they seem to have had at least 6 children.

3. Anne baptised 18 April 1830 Freystrop. She had an illegitimate son Robert born in 1850. I have not found any records for her after the 1851 census. Robert did not marry but lived either with his grandfather or with his uncle Peter. I think he died about 1915 in Newport, Monmouthshire.

4. James baptised 2 Oct 1831 Freystrop and died 14 Dec 1903 at Targate. He married Phebe Young (1830-1907) 25 June 1855 in Rosemarket, Pembrokeshire. They had the following children:
    i. Phillip 1856-1903. He married Letitia Young in 1883. They had the following children:
    a. Mary 1888
    b. Phoebe 1891
    c. John 1893. He married Grace Mary Brock 31 May 1917 in Llangwm.
    d. Annie 1897
    e. William 1901

ii. William 1858-1908. He married Sarah Bowen (1864-1893) in 1890. He then married Sarah Jane Gwyther in 1895. They had the following children:
    a. James 1891-1918
    b. Sarah Florence 1894
    c. William George 1897. He married Hilda Mary Dunning 28 Aug 1921 at St. Thomas’s Haverfordwest.
    d. Elizabeth 1899-1906

iii. John 1860- 1929. He married Sarah Ann Clements in 1884 in Merthyr Tydfil.
    iv. Jane 1862. She married John Bevan in 1889.
    v. James 1864-1932. He married Jane Griffiths 1903.
    vi. Peter 1867-1920. He married Elizabeth Griffiths 24 Dec 1903 in Steynton. They had the following children:
    a. James B 1904
    b. Phoebe Elizabeth 1906

vii. Phoebe 1870-1910. She married George Morgan 20 April 1893 Freystrop.
    viii. Elizabeth 1876

5. Elizabeth born about 1834. She married Thomas Morris 10 Sept 1859 in Freystrop.

6. Jane baptised 21 Sep 1834 Freystrop. She appears in the censuses up to 1861 with her parents at Targate. After that I lose sight of her. There is a death in 1853 registered in Haverfordwest which might be her.

7. Martha born 27 July 1836 Freystrop, and baptised the next day at Bethel Independent Chapel, Freystrop. This is the only record found for her.

8. Peter Philip born 1837 died 1917 in Pontypridd, Glamorgan. He married Sarah Davies 1837-1895) in 1864 in Merthyr Tydfil.

9. John born 1839. He was still alive at the time of the 1911 Census when he was an unmarried farm labourer living at Freystrop Cross.

10 Phillip born 1841. I think that he died the same year.

11. Mary born about 1843. She married Henry Phillips 30 Oct 1869 Freystrop.

If you are able to add anything to this I would be most grateful.

Best wishes

Megan

Sadly Orielbenfro has passed away. He will be sadly missed. This thread will remain as a tribute to his hard work but for obvious reasons I am closing it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718