Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Horatiosdau

Default Who was SAL Freakes

I have found a male Christening record in 1772 on IGI for a SAL Freakes of Worplesdon . Can anyone tell me if Sal is an abbreviation or whether that was his name?

v.wells

Salvitore? I sounds odd for an English name - perhaps Italian? There are dictionaries of old English names. Have you tried googling "old English first names"?

Reputation beyond repute

I would advise you to look at the original and decide for yourself what you think it says (you ought to do that in any case for the IGI or any other index).

I have seen something that looks like Sal being used for Samuel (badly written Saml?)

Horatiosdau

Default Sal Freakes

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Samuel would make sense as many in the family seem to have biblical type names. Looks like I will have to make a trip to Surrey Records office in the near future as the entire family is very complicated.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My husband has Freakes/Freak/Frakes from Norwich with biblical names

aussiemaree

janbooth

Could perhaps be a shortened form of Salathiel?

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Might it be Sol? - Solomon

Reputation beyond repute

The parish register should be online nowadays (in Ancestry's Surrey collection) if anyone fancies looking at the original.

janbooth

Looking at the original parish register image on Ancestry (who have transcribed it as San FREAKS), I think that the forename definitely looks like Sal of Joseph & Hannah FREAKS. The capital "S" looks the same as the capital "S" in other records, definitely an "a" for the second letter and the "l" is the same as that used in Elizabeth. I don't think it is Sol as the "o" in Joseph and other records is quite well defined and unlikely to be mistaken for an "a" - but of course I could be wrong!

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

The IGI transcription does indeed state that it's a male birth but the original image reads

Sal, of Joseph and Hannah FREAKS

There are a few examples on this page where the sex has been omitted . For example, five lines up where the entry has been transcribed as Milley OCKLEY, a female (?)!

So, could Sal be a female, perhaps Sarah or Sally? Could that third letter be an 'h' ? Although why would you abbreviate Sarah when you have just written Elizabeth in full?

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast