Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WNorman

Default Elizabeth Heywood

I am looking for Elizabeth Heywood, born 1885 in Lancashire. This is confusing, but her name may have been Elizabeth Taylor at birth, then changed for some reason to Elizabeth Heywood. Her mother's name was Sarah Ann and her father was either Samuel Taylor or William Heywood (or maybe both, one being a step-father). She had two brothers, Richard and William. In 1901, she was living in Heywood with her Uncle David Fenton. This is my grandmother and I am trying to find her family history. She came to America in 1912, where I live.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default Elizabeth HEYWOOD or TAYLOR

Quote Originally Posted by WNorman
    I am looking for Elizabeth Heywood, born 1885 in Lancashire... She had two brothers, Richard and William. In 1901, she was living in Heywood with her Uncle David Fenton...
    You have a bit of a mystery on your hands! I have a couple of questions -- your answers may help narrow things down...

Are you sure of Elizabeth's birth year? I looked her up in the 1901 census and noted that the enumerator had clearly written her age as 19 which means she would've been born about 1881/1882. Or is "19" an enumeration error -- as can and did happen -- and her right age was closer to 15 or 16?

Were brothers Richard's and William's last names Heywood or Taylor?

In the 1871 census, David and Jane Fenton are living alone. In 1881 and 1891 censuses, the Fentons have Heywood nieces living with them: Frances Heywood, 12, and Mary Elizabeth Heywood, 16, in 1881; in 1891, Frances is still with them, aged 22, and also Jennie T. Heywood, 11 -- all at 25 Bury Old Road, Heap, Lancashire. See below:

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
    Fenton, David 55 Heywood, Lancashire Head Accountant
    Fenton, Jane 51 Altrincham, Cheshire Wife
    Heywood, Francis [sic] 22 ashton upon mersey, Cheshire Niece Cotton Weaver
    Heywood, Jennie T 11 Northwich, Cheshire Niece Scholar

Source information: RG12/3132
    Registration district: Bury
    Sub registration district: Heywood
    ED, institution, or vessel: 2
    Folio: 38
    Page: 39

Do you know how Frances, Mary Elizabeth and Jennie T. Heywood are related to your Elizabeth?

If you have any more information, it may assist some of us in helping you...

Regards,
    Trish

carolash

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    You have a bit of a mystery on your hands! I have a couple of questions -- your answers may help narrow things down...

Are you sure of Elizabeth's birth year? I looked her up in the 1901 census and noted that the enumerator had clearly written her age as 19 which means she would've been born about 1881/1882. Or is "19" an enumeration error -- as can and did happen -- and her right age was closer to 15 or 16?

Were brothers Richard's and William's last names Heywood or Taylor?

In the 1871 census, David and Jane Fenton are living alone. In 1881 and 1891 censuses, the Fentons have Heywood nieces living with them: Frances Heywood, 12, and Mary Elizabeth Heywood, 16, in 1881; in 1891, Frances is still with them, aged 22, and also Jennie T. Heywood, 11 -- all at 25 Bury Old Road, Heap, Lancashire. See below:

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
    Fenton, David 55 Heywood, Lancashire Head Accountant
    Fenton, Jane 51 Altrincham, Cheshire Wife
    Heywood, Francis [sic] 22 ashton upon mersey, Cheshire Niece Cotton Weaver
    Heywood, Jennie T 11 Northwich, Cheshire Niece Scholar

Source information: RG12/3132
    Registration district: Bury
    Sub registration district: Heywood
    ED, institution, or vessel: 2
    Folio: 38
    Page: 39

Do you know how Frances, Mary Elizabeth and Jennie T. Heywood are related to your Elizabeth?

If you have any more information, it may assist some of us in helping you...

Regards,
    Trish
    Let me know if you get this mail please. I was researching an old book which is to be sold for charity when I stumbled on this site + your thread! I actually come from Heywood, Lancashire & know a bit of its history, which may help you in your research. They were the most prominant family whom the town was named after, they lived in Heywood Hall - the huge Heywood family house, which then became (years after in poss the early 1900's), an orphanage, before it was then torn down & now a school stands on the grounds I believe. Queens park Road, of where the house stood is next to Queens park, a beautiful area of park for the people of Heywood, which could have possibly been the original grounds of the house. (my partner was in charge of all the parks & we actually lived in Falinge park, Rochdale. It was left to the people of Rochdale as a park, probably same as Queens Park was). Across from one end of the park, there is a road called Heywood Hall Road, of which on the corner (adjacent to the park), there is a Heywood Hall house. In Heywood library there was glass cabinets in the entrance hall dedicated to the Heywood family, one Heywood boy/man was on the ship "The Bounty", i.e. mutiny on the bounty! The book I'm researching is Human Passions Delineated, by Tim Bobbins (John Collier), it was printed by John Heywood Sc%2message=Let me know if you get this mail please. I was researching an old book which is to be sold for charity when I stumbled on this site + your thread! I actually come from Heywood, Lancashire & know a bit of its history, which may help you in your research. They were the most prominant family whom the town was named after, they lived in Heywood Hall - the huge Heywood family house, which then became (years after in poss the early 1900's), an orphanage, before it was then torn down & now a school stands on the grounds I believe. Queens park Road, of where the house stood is next to Queens park, a beautiful area of park for the people of Heywood, which could have possibly been the original grounds of the house. (my partner was in charge of all the parks & we actually lived in Falinge park, Rochdale. It was left to the people of Rochdale as a park, probably same as Queens Park was). Across from one end of the park, there is a road called Heywood Hall Road, of which on the corner (adjacent to the park), there is a Heywood Hall house. In Heywood library there was glass cabinets in the entrance hall dedicated to the Heywood family, one Heywood boy/man was on the ship "The Bounty", i.e. mutiny on the bounty! The book I'm researching is Human Passions Delineated, by Tim Bobbins (John Collier), it was printed by John Heywood Sc, Excelsior Works Manchester. The possible connection being that this artist/author lived in Rochdale, 4 miles from Heywood, the Heywood family were rich, so its probable that he would (my author) go to his nearest printers or would have known John as he was famous in his day, being author to The Lancashire Dialect + even now being compared to the artist of caricature `Hogarth'. (copy's of his works today are in museums in New York/San Francisco etc). The person who told you about "Heap", is nearly correct., it used to be called Heap, but now is called Heap Bridge, This road/hill runs from Heywood to Bury, going from Bury Old Road turning into Heap Bridge, its still a place of big, posh houses (although that may have changed now). It was the only road to Bury at that time, (1773 - ish), until it was replaced by Bury New Road, how-ever it still remains to this day! I always preferred the old road, I loved the old houses! I am going to give you my e.mail address so you may contact me, if you need or want to. P.S. I would imagine that children marrying would move into their own houses, i.e. a house on Bury Old Rd or Heap (Bridge)

carolash

Default I.m from Heywood.

Quote Originally Posted by WNorman
    I am looking for Elizabeth Heywood, born 1885 in Lancashire. This is confusing, but her name may have been Elizabeth Taylor at birth, then changed for some reason to Elizabeth Heywood. Her mother's name was Sarah Ann and her father was either Samuel Taylor or William Heywood (or maybe both, one being a step-father). She had two brothers, Richard and William. In 1901, she was living in Heywood with her Uncle David Fenton. This is my grandmother and I am trying to find her family history. She came to America in 1912, where I live.
    Did I send you a private mail? Am new to this site & am not used to this format. I come from Heywood, Lancashire.

WNorman

Default Sarah Ann Heywood and Thomas William Taylor

Sarah Ann Heywood was my great grandmother and was born in 1853 in Altrinchim,Cheshire. She died in 1885 in the same place. During her life, she had 6 children with Thomas William Taylor. I have been unable to find a marriage certificate for them and have little or no information for him. I found all birth certificates for the children and he is listed as the father for all of them. He does not appear in their lives after the mother died. According to the birth certificates, Sarah Ann and the children moved between Cheshire and Lancanshire. I would so appreciate if anyone could help find Thomas William Taylor.

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen. As a starter is this part of the family ?

General Register Office (GRO) births -
    Jennie Taylor, Jun Qtr 1879, Northwich, 8A 273 - mother's maiden name Heywood
    Richard Taylor, Mar Qtr 1881, Chorlton, 8C 700 - mother's maiden name Heywood

1881 Census (ref RG11 3910 101 11)
    Sarah Ann Taylor, Head, Mar, 25, Dressmaker, born Altrincham
    Jeannie Taylor, Dau, 1, born Northwich
    Richard Taylor, Son, 5mths, born Levenshulme
    Address 9 Dixon Street, Levenshulme, Chorlton
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FindMyPast Baptisms
    (image)
    Born 4 Jun 1879, bap 12 Jun 1879, Jennie, dau. of Thomas William and Sarah Ann Taylor, abode Castle Northwich

(transcribed)
    Solemnized in "Great Budworth, London Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel".

What's odd/unusual is that the register does not cater for "Father's occupation/profession" - very useful when checking a Census. From the various birth certs. you have collected can you advise of Thomas' occpn/profession?

Interesting that it's Taylor on the Census and birth certs but Heywood at death.

FindMyPast burial (image)
    Sarah Ann heywood, abode Altrincham, buried 11 Sep 1885, age 32, Parish St George

GRO
    Sarah Ann Heywood, Sep Qtr 1885, Altrincham, 8A 114, age 32

Re #7 above, I wondered if occupations might include "(1) Commercial traveller (2) Printer (3) Bookbinder"?

Let's fly a kite!
    Jennie Taylor was baptised in a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

FMP burial (transcription)
    Thomas Taylor, age 32, bur. 1 Sep 1884, Cheadle Edgeley, denomination Methodist, residence 435 Gorton Road.

GRO death registration
    Thomas William Taylor, age 32, Sep Qtr, Stockport, 8A 28

Having read a lengthy article in the Cheshire Observer, 17 July 1875, about a 23 year old Thomas William Taylor, Cheadle Bulkeley, accused of perjury (aquitted), I found on the Census

1871 (ref RG10 3663 5 4)
    Thomas William Taylor, son, single, 18, Printer and Bookbinder, born Hazelgrove, Cheshire
    Address Castle Street, Cheadle Bulkeley, Stockport

1881 (ref RG11 3479 124 54)
    Thomas William Taylor, son, MARRIED, Commercial traveller, born Hazel Grove, Cheshire

Although classed "Married", there is no Mrs Taylor in the household (his mother apart).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast