Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    racing girl

Default ROACH - Whippingham, Isle of Wight

Looking for siblings of Thomas Roach bn c1814 at Whippingham. His parents were James Roach and Sarah Robinson, James was also born in the IOW, not sure about Sarah.

The IOW FHS have been very helpful and have a great website, but they have nothing on line for BMD before 1837. He's not on the IGI either or the FFHS website.

Brenda

MaidinOman

Hi Brenda, I am also looking at this family, specifically, Thomas's younger brother Leonard, b c 1827, Isle of Wight to James Roach (1778-1847) and wife Sarah Robinson (1785-?). Leonard married an Elizabeth South of Essex and they emigrated to Australia, located as a clothier in Adelaide in 1862 and by 1885 had moved to Carlton in Melbourne. They had five children, all but one dying before the age of three. The survivor was Walter George Roach (1862-1936) with whom i am concerned. Back to James and Sarah in Isle of Wight. James was a 'mealman' or dealer in meal and flour and in the 1841 Census, he and Sarah are living with their youngest children at East Medina House, Whippingham - now heritage listed and on the banks of the River Medina. They married 29 March, 1809 at Newport, I of W. They had 10 children as follows:
    Sarah (1811-1877)
    Margaret (1812-?)
    Thomas Robinson (1814-1877) - your interest?
    John (1817-?)
    George (1818-?)
    Ellen (1820-1853)
    Twins Amelia and Emily (1825-?)
    Leonard (1827-1902) - my concern
    James William Roach (1821-?)
    Interested to know if you have any more about the Australian connection. i think maybe Leonard was not the only child to emigrate there? You can email me at

jmkinsman AT gmail DOT com
    regards
    Jane
    Last edited by Procat; 24-03-2013 at 3:08 AM. Reason: Email edited to try and prevent spam

racing girl

Hello Jane
    Yep, Thomas Robinson Roach married Jane Hills in 1845, they had two daughters, then a son, James in 1852. James inherited the family business of Tide Mills, was a grain and corn merchant and also lived at the house in East Medina, Whippingham. He married into my husbands Palmer family and they raised their children there. Thomas and Jane also had two more daughters and two more sons.

The only other sibling of Thomas that I know anything about is Emily, she married a Corfield and had at least one daughter, Leonora. Leonora married her first cousin, James, son of Thomas and Jane. The other siblings are unknown to me, but it's been a couple of years since I looked at them in any detail, maybe it's time to start again!

I'll send you and email too.

Brenda

racing girl

I knew I had this info somewhere:

Thomas Corfield, c1818, Penryn, Cornwall, Agent & Autioneer. Married Emily Roach (c1825 - 1905) Dec Q 1947, Whippingham, IOW.

All children born Penryn unless otherwise noted:
    Lavinia 1848
    Emily 1849
    Medina 1850
    Janett 1852
    Anne 1854
    Edith Mary 1855
    Thomas William 1856
    Leonora 1860 - 5 March 1951 IOW
    Amelia Theresa 1865 - Budock, Falmouth, Cornwall
    Florence Ethel 1867 - Ditto
    Sarah Mildred R 1869 - Ditto

Clipper

A fair number of Thomas Roach's offspring are now residing in Canada, are you still looking for info?
    check photo of TR Roach
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ourpointofview/6585819321/

MaidinOman

Hi Clipper,
    yes, i am still keen to find out more about the Canadian branch of this family. Is that a photo of TR Roach 1814-1877?
    What a handsome man. You can contact me at jmkinsman AT gmail dot com

racing girl

Fantastic photo Clipper, I've also been looking at the other ones in your Flickr photo stream, some beauties there of the Roach and Atrill's. Is this your line? Walter Douglas Roach and Mabel Atrill? I have a number of the Roach clan that I've found settled in Canada but I'm sure I don't have them all by any means. I'd also love to have more info if you can supply it too. I'll send you a private message with my email address and perhaps you can copy me as well as Jane on any info you have, save duplicating it all.

Regards
    Brenda

Clipper

Actually I've found out that the photo is of John Roach, and not TR Roach. I do know we have family in Australia, and down in the States, is that your interest? Ian Roach in Regina has created a large PDF document showing the family trees and history, specifically from Thomas Robinson Roach on down. Since he created the doc I would need to ask his permission to send it to you. At present I'm not home, but when I get back I'll send his contact info to you.

racing girl

Actually I'm English, I've lived in Michigan for 19 years. Grace Caroline Palmer (known as Carrie, and wife to James Roach) was my husbands Gt Gt Gt Aunt. Three of her daughters, Mary Grace, Florence and Mildred were bridesmaids when my husbands Gt Grandfather married on the Isle of Wight. If Ian will give permission, I'd love to see the document that's been created. I have a lot of info on the Palmer side too.

MaidinOman

Hi Clipper and Brenda,
    likewise, I'd be delighted if you could put us in touch with Ian and his family tree. I am in Australia and researching the family here on behalf of a descendant of TR Roach's younger brother Leonard who emigrated to Adelaide in 1850 and was gt gfather to my contact here, another Ian Roach. Can you please clarify then, re the photo of the gentleman with beard - was he TR Roach's brother John (b. 1817) or was he TR's son John (1860-1943)? Thankyou very much.
    regards
    Jane

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast