Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IGI INFO

pete ash

Smile IGI INFO

hi all, does anyone know if it is possible to trace source info from igi batch/sheet numbers? Thanks pete

Reputation beyond repute

It's the "Source Call No." that defines the source.

Mary Anne

Welcome, Pete

What kind of *source info* are you looking for?

If, for example, you are looking to find out what location the microfilmed and transcribed parish registers are from, then you take the "Source Call No." that Peter mentioned and plug it into the "Film/fiche" box on the search page of the Family History Library Catalog at the FamilySearch site. This will then tell you what parish registers or other documents were filmed using this film or fiche number, often with date ranges and whether they were baptismal or marriage registers or Bishop's Transcripts. The "Batch" designations usually tell you whehter they are batches of christenings, marriages or whatever.

Hugh Wallis ahs a very useful key to IGI Batch numbers... https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....tchNumbers.htm

Mary Anne

Reputation beyond repute

Er...I think you can just click on the Source Call No to get straight into the catalogue.

Mary Anne

Peter - oh, duh well, trust me to do it the LONG way Why your explanation was so much more efficient....Just ignore me now....I've been talking to dead people all day...

pete ash

thanks to you both for your replies. at what point do you stop searching?.Is it when you can no longer prove to others or you can convince yourself?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by pete ash View Post
    At what point do you stop searching?
    The day I join my ancestors

I am not sure but did your question mean:
    Could you retrieve more information from the batch number?

If so, I think it is their numbering system. When you visit a Family History Centre they would use their batch number to identify the records you wished to look at. They will then order that parish entry for you.

There are IGI batch/source numbers, GRO reference numbers, Census Reference Numbers and a host of others. They are all just a number that locates a particular record and each has their own system.

Guy Etchells

Personally when I die.
    Cheers
    Guy

Guy Etchells

Personally when I die.
    I won't need to to the research then because the answers will be there.
    Cheers
    Guy

Roger47

I thought it was when your wife takes away your credit card

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast