Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

I hope you are not finding these too difficult ....!! The main thing is to enjoy!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    I hope you are not finding these too difficult ....!! The main thing is to enjoy!
    Oh, not in the least, Barbara. Seven of them were easy-peasy.
    For the remaining 43, take your pick of and
    Though I have now reached the dizzy heights of 29 out of 50.
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Oh, not in the least, Barbara
    Do I detect a note of sarcasm??? Think of my poor aunt of 94 trying to do this for her Mothers' Union meeting - and without any idea how to use a computer, even if she had had access to one. No wonder she passed it on!

Good grief! what sort of mother's union does she belong to?!!! Did she have to pass an entrance exam to join? Mind you, thinking about it Mothers' Union would probably know more of the answers than us mere mortals, they are pretty clever these mothers
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm??? Think of my poor aunt of 94 trying to do this for her Mothers' Union meeting - and without any idea how to use a computer, even if she had had access to one. No wonder she passed it on!
    Sarcasm is certainly not what I intended Barbara. I was trying to re-assure you that I wasn't at all panicked about the questions and was gliding through them with the serenity of a swan - and just hoping that you couldn't see me paddling like mad underneath the surface.
    Were the MU members expected to do this on the night without any computers or reference books? If so I expect the genius who thought this lot up got shot there and then!
    Pam

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Another competition to get you visiting places around the British Isles! I was given this by an elderly aunt who wanted me to find the answers for her so that she could impress her local Mothers' Union; she decided against entering in the end because she couldn't bring herself to cheat!
    I enjoyed it, and hope you will too. Bo Peep has kindly offered a prize - a copy of the CD 'The One Stop Web Site List - UK'.

If the prize relies on 100% completion, then Bo-Peep is safe

Or are entries acceptable with a "don't know" or "can't even guess"

As for googling, you will discover things you never imagined, such as intimations that the Bishop of Southwark was involved in a drunken London party, and as for "a young man of Bengal" --- I won't even go there!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Were the MU members expected to do this on the night without any computers or reference books?
    No - they were given them to take away - for a few weeks, I think! I expect the organiser thought most would have sons/daughters (nieces?) with computers who would find the answers for them - and I will own up and say it took me ages ... and I got one wrong!! My aunt decided in the end that having someone find the answers for her was 'cheating' and handed in her answer sheet with only those she already knew. I was more than a little surprised at how many she had answered - obviously the opposite of a 'mis-spent youth'!
    'Don't knows', 'cannot even guess' - all acceptable - just enjoy it!

beachbaby

I know very little about the cathedrals (relatively) but am looking forward to seeing all the answers. Great questions, the results should be fun. I just wish I could answer them!

Quote Originally Posted by beachbaby View Post
    I know very little about the cathedrals (relatively) but am looking forward to seeing all the answers. Great questions, the results should be fun. I just wish I could answer them!

Shh ... don't tell everyone, but you can find all the answers by googling!

Time consuming though .....!

busyglen

Just to say Barbara, having been on holiday, I've been trying to have a go at the competition, but I am failing dismally as I haven't got the time to go through 50 questions. I've started and have done 5 off the top of my head, but the rest needs time googling! I somehow think that I won't be able to do them in time!

Glenys

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast