Thread: Index.htm

Reputation beyond repute

Default Index.htm

Am I going mad?

I'm working on some web pages on my hard disk and I'm using Windows XP. I have an initial page called index.html and it works OK - specifically the links all work.

But if I just rename this file to index.htm, none of the links work. This effect doesn't seem to occur with any other file, only index.htm. The links in any other file work OK whether the file has an htm or an html extension.

Has anyone got any idea what's going on here?

Why do you want to rename it?

Index is the default home page, will work whether it is called htm/html/php/asp

Which link won't work, those on the index page or the other pages?

Which program are you using to create the web pages?

Sorry about the question, but need more information to assist you.

Reputation beyond repute

It ought to work whether it's called index.html or index.htm. The point of the question was that index.html was not working in the same way as index.htm.

However, having renamed the file several times, index.htm is now working properly. I assume there was temporary glitch in the operating system that has now gone away.

Thanks for taking the time to reply but the problem has cured itself.

Good luck with it Peter.

Colin Moretti

Having been dabbling with developing a web site recently, I learned the hard way that changes like that only take effect after everything has been saved. It's probably not necessary but I usually close the app prompting a full save of all unsaved stuff, everything usually (but not invariably) works on reopening.

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Mine are hand crafted so it's just between me and the operating system. It's debatable which of those two is the least reliable

Ken Boyce

Hi Peter

Overhere the condition is called the Senior Moment Syndrome and is triggered by Gates's Gocha a neuropathic condition found in mice when they are subjected to repeated tapping of their left and right brains It is known to be transferable across species

Years ago when I was domiciled on your side of the pole and long before we humans interfered with the role of mice in the universe we simply called it finger trouble

Regards