Thread: William Otter

larkspur

Default William Otter

Still looking for old William born Sturton by Stowe 1829. He married Ann Whitworth from Eakring Notts- her dad was James a publican. Speaking of Eakring it is the home of another of my dead ends Mary Rayworth b 1796 married 1820 William Antcliff. Anyone out there have either of these two in their tree? I know -Iam forever hopeful.

janbooth

Default William OTTER

Do you have his marriage certificate? If so, what is his father's name and profession which should help us trace him in earlier records. If you do not have the certificate, their marriage was registered in the June qtr 1850 at Southwell reg district, vol 15, page 1015 according to FreeBMD.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by larkspur View Post
    Mary Rayworth b 1796 married 1820 William Antcliff.
    It's also worth asking whether you have the parish register entry for this marriage. This will also help.

One of the things the parish register will tell you is that William ANCLIFF was from Bathley in the parish on North Muskham.

larkspur

I have the marriage cert of William Otter,20th May 1850 William was 22 years a bachelor labourer, no father listed Ann was age 19 with father James a publican. I cannot find a birth for William.
    I have no problem with William Antcliff it is his wife who is my brickwall. They were married according to the parish reg 10 Jan 1820 William ANCLIFF of Bathley and Mary Rayworth, the marriage took place in Maplebeck witnesses were John and Ann Rayworth. Many thanks for your input.

janbooth

Default William OTTER

Hi Larkspur,

It sounds as though your William may have been illegitimate given that there is no father's name on his marriage certificate. There is an extracted baptism on the IGI of a William OTTER on 4 March 1828 (born 27 December 1827) at the Wesleyan Methodist, Gainsborough, Lincs, mother Martha OTOR. Have you looked through the parish registers of Sturton to see if his baptism is recorded there? If it is not, then it could be that his was a nonconformist baptism such as the one above.

Janet

larkspur

Cool

Thankyou Janet I have already come across Martha in Gainsborough and yes I think he was illegitimate too.I have looked at the baptismal records for both Lincs and Notts. Also another 2 baptisms in Gainsborough all Saints 16 april 1828 parents Thomas and Fanny father a labourer.
    Gainsb. St Sebastian 22 June 1828 parents Robert and Hannah. Iam still with the Martha though also William did go on to name his daughter Martha.Not easy to prove though....having said that the only Martha I could find in Gainsborough.....she would have been pushing 40 a bit late for a "slip up" I would have thought- unless she had others of course. But there is also a marriage for a Martha Otter 1808 or 9 to a William Higginbotham so this could be her and no connection at all to my William. hey ho the search goes on

larkspur

I just re discovered this old post of mine and thought an update was needed. My breakthrough was finding a marriage for Martha Otter in 1829 in Thorney, Notts to Edward Jenkinson. On the 1841 census in Broxholme I found Edward and Martha and lo and behold there was William (Jenkinson).The baptism for William At Gainsborough states he was born in Sturton. Every census apart from 1841 of course, William has Sturton as his birthplace.So I am pretty certain, I have the correct mother for William.