Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance

zane

Default Chance

Emily Chance married James Jones in Wales in 1907. (My great grandparents on my maternal side). According to the Wedding Certificate she was about 25so born approx 1882 and James was aged 35, so approx born in 1872.

My mum seems to recall that Emily was born in Eardisley and according to the Wedding Cert her father Thomas was a gardener, deceased.

The only Emily I can find is born in 1878 and her father was also called Thomas but he was an ag labourer. Not sure if this would be the correct one as I cannot see any valid reason why Emily would lie about her age as she was obvioulsy over the age of 21 this is all the info I have, does any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Zane

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by zane
    Emily Chance married James Jones in Wales in 1907. (My great grandparents on my maternal side). According to the Wedding Certificate she was about 25so born approx 1882 and James was aged 35, so approx born in 1872. My mum seems to recall that Emily was born in Eardisley and according to the Wedding Cert her father Thomas was a gardener, deceased.
    She may well have told her boyfriend and later husband that she was younger than she was - she may not have been well educated and only rogughly known her age.

The 1891 census seems to show two girls called Emily Chance whose dad was called Tho(ma)s.

RG12/2075 f15 p4
    Eardisley, Herefordshire
    Thomas, Frances and Emily (aged 13)

RG12/2341 f88 p6
    Fernhill Heath, Worcestershire
    Thos, Mary, Benj, George, Emily (aged 12), Sarah

zane

Hi Geoffers, sorry it has taken so long to reply I usually get an email saying someone has replied to my post, but I didn't this time, I must have pressed a wrong button somewhere!

The first one you suggested fits in with the one I have found for the 1881 census and the address was the same. Thanks!!

Ancestry has transcribed the 1891 census under the name of Chaney, which is why I couldn't find them, but upon looking at the actual census I think it is a definite Chance.

I have found a possible death for Thomas in 1895 which would fit in with the fact I can't find him in the 1901 census and I know he was deceased by 1907 I have found a 1901 census for a Francis Chance who was a widow, so again this would fit it, but she lives with her daughter Jane who I haven't yet come accross, although my mum thinks there was a sister Jane.

I have found an earlier census with a Jane Chance on with parents called Thomas and Frances, but she had brothers that I haven't come across before and one would have been born before the parents got married by at least 3 years, so back to the drawing board and more digging!

IvorClucas

Zane,

You probably know this already but the mother listed for Emily CHANCE born 27th Jan 1878 is Frances GRIFFITHS and it was registered in the Brilley Sub- Registration district of Kington District. Not a million miles from Eardisley.

Cheers

Ivor

zane

Thanks Ivor, you have just confirmed the fact, she was on my list as the most likely Frances, but I hadn't gotten round to ordering Emily's birth cert, so as you have confirmed it and given me the birth date, I may spend the money on Emily's father and mothers certs instead, thanks!!

IvorClucas

Zane

Thomas Chance and Frances Griffiths married at St Martins Hereford on 15/6/1865.

They also had

Alice dob 18/2/1872
    Mary dob 14/9/1873
    William dob 23/01/1876

All registered in Brilley.

Ivor

zane

Thanks again Ivor, I had approx years for the kids, but not exact dates so THANKS! , I have also possibly found a brother called Thomas born approx 1870, not sure if he died or not. I have ordered Emily, Frances and the Emily's father Thomas certs, I also wonder if they had other children that may have died because getting married in 1865 and not having the first child till 1870 seems a bit out of character for the times. Thanks for you help!

IvorClucas

Zane,

My index does not list any other births of kids or deaths that look likely - it covers Herefordshire only so maybe born elsewhere or not registered.

It seems likely that there would have been a son Thomas somewhere along the line.

Ivor

zane

Thanks for that Ivor will stop looking for any more children (for now) and start working further back.

vic1

Question

I'm very intrested in your post. branches of my family have lived in Eardisley / brillley since 1635. I do not have any chances but I do have a jones branch - my great x 2b grandfather was a john jones from kinnersley. he had a brother who appears on the census as john also their father is James jones, I know my john is john as i have his wedding certificate but i would hazard a guess that the brother may have been James he would have been born in the early 1870s. and i have been told an uncle form that side has a medal in the south wales borderers museum. unfortunately with a name like jones i have not persued this side as i have loads of other branches. john was also a methodist lay preacher right up to his death. Do you have any info on your james jones . if they are brothers we may be aable to help each other spread our trees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast