Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chance

zane

Hi Vic1

I have not gotten very far with my Jones branch at all, James Jones was my great grandfather on my matarnal side, he married Emily Chance, all I know is he was born in Wales as yet no idea where, I have his death cert, he died in Coventry in 1960 aged 89. My mother says he had at least one brother , one called Jack, but he may have been named John after his father but just used the name Jack and Jack/John was married to Nellie, I have James Jones wedding cert but all it says is he was 35 on 21st Feb 1907 (their weddding day) and that he was a soldier in the South Wales Borderers and his father was John Jones who was a maker for castings. so I am completely at a loss as to where to go now as you know Jones is a hard name to narrow down!!!!!! If you have any further info.....................!

Zane

vic1

If his fathers is working in the metal industry as a caster. he can't be related to mine but it was worth a try with the name Jones and the area. my john married 3 times had 2 possibly 3 children with wives and one we think by his sister in law. none of his wives was any thing close to eleanor - emma died 1880 annie ( my relation) and jane his father was a tenenat farmer and my johnn worked on the railway then farmed by taking over his third wifes fathers farm.
    any way as i say it was worth a try may be if we get father back with the jones's we might find a link. i'm saving them for my retiremant in 20 odd years time ( probably nearer 40 odd years time the wayt things are going at present)
    many thanks vic

zane

Thought I would update and hopefully get still more help!

Thomas Chance born 1833, died 1895, (my gg. grandfather) I have death cert. 1841 census he lived with his parents Thomas and Mary, 1861 census he lived with his parents at The Fields Eardisley, 1865 he married Frances Griffiths, in the 1871 census he still lives in The Fields he has 3 children, 1864 (born before wedding) Henry Grolpthe Chance, Jane Caroline Chance 1866 and Frederick Thomas Chance 1870! In the 1881 census he lives in Hicks Hill Welson, with children Thomas 1870, (formerley Frederick thomas, I think) Alice 1872, Mary 1874, William 1876 and Emily 1878 (my g. grandmother), now my question is where is Henry? I can find no record of his birth, christening, death etc or anything, I have tried just looking for Henry, but found nothing, have looked on Ancestry, Freebmd , but found no-one to match, if he was illegitimate would he be registered?

On Frances death cert, her daughter Jane Townsend was with her, this ties in with the fact that I have her married to John Townsend and Frances lived with them in the 1901 census, so they are the right family, has anyone any ideas on where Henry might be?

Thanks

IvorClucas

Zane,

I have looked in my Herefordshire indices for the birth and death of a Henry Chance and Henry Griffiths of the right sort of dates but can find nothing helpful. Even though he was illegitimate his birth SHOULD have been registered. You give his second name as Grolpthe - have you seen this on the census records or just in transcript. If you have a copy of the census record itself take a close look at this name and see if there could be other interpretations of the hand writing - there is a chance (excuse the pun ) that he could have been registered as Henry ?Grolpthe? on his birth certificate, if that was his father's name. I cannot find any occurances of Grolpthe in my index but if you find a different interpretation from a closer look at the census let me know and I will take another look,

Cheers

Ivor

zane

Hi Ivor

Am trying again to upload this census!

https://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...enryChance.jpg

Had some help from Bo Peep, so hope this works, Henry is the third one down from the top, not sure how clear it will be!

Thanks Bo Peep!

Zane
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 03-11-2008 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Removing Crown Copyright image

IvorClucas

Zane,

Your copy of the census page was not very easy to read so I took a look on Ancestry. I think the middle name could Griffiths - what do you think?

Ivor

zane

Yes I am inclined to think it is Griffiths, not that it helps much as I have looked for all sorts of Henry, but nothing seems to match, including deaths between the census's. Thanks anyway Ivor

IvorClucas

Zane,

The more I look the more I can see Griffiths - it is amazing what transcribers sometimes make of handwriting. Being a transcriber myself I know how difficult it is and I am sure I have made similar interpretations.

However as you say it does not really help you in your quest,

Good luck

Ivor

I have prevented the full image from showing on the Forum as it is Crown Copyright - better in future either to show just a snippet or to give the full reference - there are plenty of us with access to the census online.

For what it is worth I think it says Griffith(s) as well!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

zane

Default Found him I think!

Thanks Sue, wasn't sure whether it could be copied or not!

Well think I have found my missing Henry! I went two generations back to his grandparents Richard Griffiths and Mary? I was just looking at their children (Henry's mothers siblings) and noticed that there were no boys to carry on the Griffiths family name. Henry's mother was Frances and her siblings were all girls (unless there are some boys I haven't found yet) and had a brainwave as Henry seemed to be born out of wedlock, maybe he was a Griffiths, so looked up some births and lo and behold there was a Henry Griffiths born in little Dewchurch in Mar quarter 1864 (Hereford 6a 496) and looking on the family search website there was a Henry, christened on 20th March 1864 and his mother was listed as Fanny (she was Fanny in one of the census's), no mention of a father.

I will order the birth certificate and see if Thomas is listed as the father or if he is the step father.

Thanks for everyones help, hopefully we got there in the end!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast