Geoffers

Default Searchable RM attestation papers

In case anyone doesn't know, attestation papers for the Royal Marines for most of the 19th century are now individually indexed on TNA's catalogue
    If you find a likely match to someone you are trying to locate, you can order a copy of the document from TNA.

Using the catalogue:

In the word or phrase field, enter your chap's surname.
    Leave the year range blank unless you can tie it down to a fairly specific period.
    In the department or series code, enter ADM157.

If you are loooking for someone wth a fairly common surname, try searching again using forename as well.

If you still get lots of hits and you know wheer someone was born, try entering:

Forename surname AND county of birth. Make sure that the AND is in capitals. (e.g. John Smith AND Berkshire).

30/12/08 - Just to update that RMLI Portsmouth Division registers of service in ADM159 are also searchable by surname

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Hi Geoffers,

These useful serial codes that you occasionally provide, such as AMD 157 & J77, I think it was, - is there an index to refer to, or do you "just happen to know" them? I have looked on TNA site but found no easy way to find appropriate codes - perhaps I'm missing something.

Michael

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe
    These useful serial codes that you occasionally provide, such as AMD 157 & J77, I think it was, - is there an index to refer to, or do you "just happen to know" them? I have looked on TNA site but found no easy way to find appropriate codes - perhaps I'm missing something.
    Years ago when I went to the Public Record Office (as it was), I made copious notes about the different classes. I keep these as card indexes and refer to them frequently - not least in replying to threads on these forums.

However, I am aware that TNA is updating its catalogue with recently indexed records and check occasionally by carrying out random searches to see what is new.

You can search for department or series codes just using the root letters: ADM for Admiralty, WO for War Office, HO for Home Office, etc. You don't need to know the full class such as ADM157, WO97, J77, etc, but in can help in more complicated searches.

The research guides on TNA provide a good deal of guidance as to which codes may be worth checking. Really it is down to using the system - after all it's free and you're not going to break it - to become familiar with ways of searching.
    I did post a list of some more common codes on a thread somewhere, but I cannot remember where now, it should turn up with a search.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Thanks, Geoffers

Michael

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Geoffers...........lovely and sunny here in Oxfordshire isnt it!

now when you find ref to attestation papers ..........can you order online or do you have to go to TNA...............might make a trip later in month would it be best to look at them there? and can you photocopy yourself?

sandie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep View Post
    Hi Geoffers...........lovely and sunny here in Oxfordshire isnt it!
    Touch wood, I have an Under-13 cricket fixture at Charlbury tonight (my Charlbury team is playing against Minster Lovell); 'tis just a friendly, but 22 youngsters will be very disappointed if the wet stuff appears yet again.

now when you find ref to attestation papers ..........can you order online or do you have to go to TNA...............might make a trip later in month would it be best to look at them there? and can you photocopy yourself?
    You can order attestation papers online, TNA will send a quote. You can get the document sent digitally or in paper form.

If you are going to TNA and don't mind the wait then fine - but - the papers might contain some information of interest which would mean you could better spend your time at TNA looking for something else. It's a matter of balance, time against cost and only you can decide which is best for you. As to copying, I understand that TNA allows digital cameras to be used, which might be the best way to copy things if you have a decent camera.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for that Geoffers...........think I might order papers as I have quite a few things to look for if I get down.

Weather has been fine here in Bloxham so hopefully you will have a good match

sandie