Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The IGI

sindylin

Default The IGI

I have been puzzling over an entry on the IGI website. there are three entries that show the baptism of three boys with the same father but two have a different mother (the first wife who died) They obviously got them all "done" on the same day.

I am wondering if this is correct though. I can vouch for the two younger boys, but the oldest son does not feature in the family again in particular on any of the early census returns even though he would still be young. I can't find a death for him either, he isn't mentioned in the father's will and the father goes on to have another son 9 years later and calls him by the same christian name.

My query is this, how reliable are these entries? Is it possible that someone has mis read the entry and confused it with the one above or below for instance?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.

sindylin

pipsqueak

It's always possible that the oldest child died. It's possible that the oldest one was even near death at the time of the Baptism, which prompted them to get the other two Baptised at the same time. That would also explain the use of the same name for a younger child at a later date.

Marie C..

Default The IGI

It is not a stupid question.
    There could be several explanations.
    The odd one out may have been a mistake on the part of the transcriber.
    He could have been related to the other two.(the fathers being cousins)
    He may have died or emigrated.
    There is always an answer for everything.
    If it was a submiited entry to the IGI then it may have been an error.
    Submitted entries need to be treated with caution.
    Marie

sindylin

Interesting replies....the first one could well be true....obvious in a way....how come I never think of the obvious?????

I can't find a death/burial entry on the IGI and it was before civil registration as the entry is 1828.

Now for another daft question........

How can I tell from the entry if it was submited by a member or a genuine transcription of the parish record?

Thanks
    sindylin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin
    I have been puzzling over an entry on the IGI website. there are three entries that show the baptism of three boys with the same father but two have a different mother (the first wife who died) They obviously got them all "done" on the same day.
    How do you mean, "Got them 'done' on the same day"?

Do you mean that the IGI shows all three were baptised the same day?

Do not treat the IGI as proof that an event took place. Have you checked the parish registers to confirm the entries that are shown?

I can't find a death for him either, he isn't mentioned in the father's will and the father goes on to have another son 9 years later and calls him by the same christian name.
    Have you found a burial in the parish registers for this child?

[quote]My query is this, how reliable are these entries? Is it possible that someone has mis read the entry and confused it with the one above or below for instance?[q/uote]

The IGI entry should show if it patron submitted, in which case treat it with extreme sceptism, many are merely works of fiction - or if it was extracted from a register. If it was extracted from a register then there is a fair chance that the event occurred, though the events which fall into this category do contain the usual number of transcription errors. Some series of extracted entries do contain quite a few errors. ALWAYS check entries shown on the IGI before you accept them as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin View Post
    I can't find a death/burial entry on the IGI and it was before civil registration as the entry is 1828.
    The IGI has very few deaths/burials. As I undertand it, and I am certainly no expert, the Mormons believe that through the sealing powers of the priesthood families can be sealed together forever. This means that family ties that are established while on earth will continue in the life after. They therefore don't consider death in this world so important

How can I tell from the entry if it was submited by a member or a genuine transcription of the parish record?
    If when you bring up the Event it says
    then use it as a finding aid but treat it with extreme caution.

Those entries which have been extracted from parish registers, and which are therefore more likely to be correct, have "Batch Numbers"

You can enter the IGI via Batch Numbers and serach for people in a particular area via Hugh Wallis's excellent site at
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....tchNumbers.htm
    This site also explains better than I can how Batch Numbers work
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 05-08-2008 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Missed a word
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Geoffers

[quote=Geoffers;183209]How do you mean, "Got them 'done' on the same day"?

Do you mean that the IGI shows all three were baptised the same day?

Do not treat the IGI as proof that an event took place. Have you checked the parish registers to confirm the entries that are shown?

Have you found a burial in the parish registers for this child?

My query is this, how reliable are these entries? Is it possible that someone has mis read the entry and confused it with the one above or below for instance?
    The IGI entry should show if it patron submitted, in which case treat it with extreme sceptism, many are merely works of fiction - or if it was extracted from a register. If it was extracted from a register then there is a fair chance that the event occurred, though the events which fall into this category do contain the usual number of transcription errors. Some series of extracted entries do contain quite a few errors. ALWAYS check entries shown on the IGI before you accept them as accurate.

I can't find a death/burial entry on the IGI
    You won't - deaths and burials on the IGI are as rare as hen's teeth.

Guy Etchells

First what one must understand is the IGI is not an index of parish registers or a transcription of parish registers.

The IGI is an index of the ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS).

Nothing more nothing less and as an index of ordinances it is 100% accurate.

When mis-used as an index of parish registers the best course of action is to note the details then check them against the entry in the parish register.
    This may be done by ordering microfilm/fiche of the relevant register at a LDS family history center. Alternatively many County Record Offices sell microfiche copies of parish registers.
    A third and possibly more convenient form of action is to purchase copies of transcripts from suppliers like Parish Chest.
    Cheers
    Guy

sindylin

Hi,
    thanks for the replies everyone.

Geoffers, yes I meant they were all baptised on the same day in the same place. (I have a strange way with words!)

I have looked at the entries again and they carry a batch no and source call No. when I click on one it brings up all the other entries, the other button displays info on what it is, where it is and that it has a microfilm/fische of the records.

So, its a better bet than the other option you all mentioned.

There is obviously a death entry somewhere even if the Mormons haven't transcribed it due to their beliefs will this be on the original records too? the film title says Church Records 1776-1837 and it is on 1 microfilm 35mm.

Sindylin

Marie C..

Default The IGI

IF "they got them all done on the same day" then the odd one(with the same christian name and surname) could not possibly have been an older sibling who died before the birth of the next same-named one. Are you with me?
    A child of the family who died in infancy/childhood might have a subsequent one named after him.... but could not possibly be baptised on the same day.
    Marie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast