Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The IGI

sindylin

Marie,

The three that were baptised on the same day all had different christian names, two had the same parents, the other had the same father but was the child of the 2nd wife.

The father and 2nd wife then named another son they had some 9 years later with the same christian name as the oldest boy who I guess must have died.

I've ordered a copy of the CD from Parish Chest so hopefully I will soon find out who's who and whats what.

Sue,

Thanks for the link to that fab site. It makes searching for people a whole lot easier!

Thanks to everyone else, as always, I do appreciate your expert help

sindylin

suedent

Sindylin, when transcribing some parish records I did come across a case like this. In the case I found I can only assume that with the death of the first wife her child's baptism was overlooked. Perhaps they only realised that he hadn't been baptized when they were arranging for the younger children to be baptized.

sindylin

I reckon is might have happened a lot.

I found another case where three sons were baptised on the same day in the same family but years before.

Two of the lads baptised were brothers, and the third was their cousin, their fathers were brothers. a real family baptism eh?

sindylin

sindylin

Default I found it!

Ok, I have now got the actual parish register entries and it was correct on the IGI. The three children all baptised on the same day.

Interstingly, there were 39 other baptisms done the same day by the same minister. One family had 9 children baptised! Obviously waiting for this particular minister perhaps?

I have a question:-

Is it or was it possible/likely that a father would give two of his LIVING sons the same christian name?

thanks
    sindylin

Marie C..

Default The IGI

Yes it is possible if they had different second christian names. I have two Johns(brothers) in one of my families; One was John Benjamin ........and the other was John George..... Both lived to old age.
    Marie

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin View Post
    There is obviously a death entry somewhere even if the Mormons haven't transcribed it
    You cannot assume "there is a death entry somewhere". It depends on the time and area. Here in Scotland, for example, deaths were rarely recorded before statutory registration began in 1855. This is because Baptism and Marriage are sacraments and recorded in the Parish Register, whereas Death is not a sacrament. Very occasionally you may find a financial record of the "Mortcloth" hired out to cover the coffin.

birdsedge

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post

You can enter the IGI via Batch Numbers and serach for people in a particular area via Hugh Wallis's excellent site at
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....tchNumbers.htm
    This site also explains better than I can how Batch Numbers work
    Can I jump in here, please, and ask:
    How have the IGI records been extracted? Who did it and when? Why are there gaps? If there are gaps in the IGI extracted records does it indicate likely gaps in the parish records or is it just an incomplete or poor extraction. Help. How does it work?

I've been searching for the Hayward family in Gloucestershire in the batches for:
    Little Dean C029961 1813-1875 and C029962 1617-1812
    and there are obvious gaps. (Note I have no experience in searching the parish records yet, that's going to be my next question)

However of the children of John Heyward and Margaret there are 6 listed between 1822 and 1841 - with a suspiciously unproductive breeding gap between 1824 and 1833. There's Susannah 1822; Charles 1824; Charlotte 1833; Lucy 1835; Eliza 1836; Margaret 1839 (died 1840); and William Henry 1841. I know from a marriage certificate and census records that Tamar Hayward 1828 is one of the missing ones.

And my next question is how do I access the parish records for Little Dean? Can it be done witrhout travelling to Gloucestershire because I don't have that kind of money or time (or spously goodwill) to spare? Do the batch record numbers tie up to parish registers? Sorry, probably a dumb question, but like I say. I haven't got as far as figuring out parish registers yet.

Jacey

Guy Etchells

I have already answered your question (see my post dated 05-08-2008, 06:42 PM).
    I have added more comments here but please remember the IGI is not an index of parish registers. It never has been and never will be.
    One must also remember that the online version of the IGI has all the Temple Ordinances redacted and only members of the LDS may view these.
    The microfiche versions of the IGI had the Temple Ordinances in the columns labelled B.E.F.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsedge View Post
    Can I jump in here, please, and ask:
    How have the IGI records been extracted? Who did it and when? Why are there gaps? If there are gaps in the IGI extracted records does it indicate likely gaps in the parish records or is it just an incomplete or poor extraction. Help. How does it work?
    The IGI is made up of two sources.
    1) Patron submissions : These are submissions form researchers all over the world who have sent the results of their research to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). The individuals named in this research have then been submitted to the LDS Temple Ordinances and these Ordinances indexed on the IGI.
    2) Controlled Extractions : These are bulk extractions from various sources such as Gibsons Oxford Marriage Transcripts, various microfilmed Bishops' Transcripts and Parish Registers.
    After the names were extracted from the various sources they were submitted for Temple Ordinances and the Ordinances indexed on the IGI.

Now if you understand what the IGI indexes you will realise that there are no gaps in the IGI as all the Temple Ordinances have been included.
    Nothing can appear on the IGI until it has undergone a Temple Ordinance.

I've been searching for the Hayward family in Gloucestershire in the batches for:
    Little Dean C029961 1813-1875 and C029962 1617-1812
    and there are obvious gaps. (Note I have no experience in searching the parish records yet, that's going to be my next question)
    The batch number C029961 is sourced from Parish registers for Little Dean, 1684-1947
    The batch number C029962 sourced from Bishop's transcripts for Little Dean, 1617-1812
    These should be the same between 1617 & 1812 but due to the way Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are compiled errors and ommissions do occur.

However of the children of John Heyward and Margaret there are 6 listed between 1822 and 1841 - with a suspiciously unproductive breeding gap between 1824 and 1833. There's Susannah 1822; Charles 1824; Charlotte 1833; Lucy 1835; Eliza 1836; Margaret 1839 (died 1840); and William Henry 1841. I know from a marriage certificate and census records that Tamar Hayward 1828 is one of the missing ones.
    It could be that the Parish Registers are incomplete or badly kept. They may suffer damage or be otherwise illegible.

And my next question is how do I access the parish records for Little Dean? Can it be done witrhout travelling to Gloucestershire because I don't have that kind of money or time (or spously goodwill) to spare? Do the batch record numbers tie up to parish registers? Sorry, probably a dumb question, but like I say. I haven't got as far as figuring out parish registers yet.

Jacey
    If you can visit a LDS Family History Center you will be able to order a microfiche/film copy of the Parish Registers for little more than the cost of postage to the FHC.

Batch numbers tie up to the source call. The source call may be Parish Registers, Bishop's Transcripts or one of many compiled databases of transcribed records.

I would also note that many suppliers offer transcripts of Parish Registers on Parish Chest.
    see
    https://www.parishchest.com/shop/inde...epts&cat=D1733
    Cheers
    Guy

corkgen

Default igi

Quote Originally Posted by sindylin View Post
    I have been puzzling over an entry on the IGI website. there are three entries that show the baptism of three boys with the same father but two have a different mother (the first wife who died) They obviously got them all "done" on the same day.

I am wondering if this is correct though. I can vouch for the two younger boys, but the oldest son does not feature in the family again in particular on any of the early census returns even though he would still be young. I can't find a death for him either, he isn't mentioned in the father's will and the father goes on to have another son 9 years later and calls him by the same christian name.

My query is this, how reliable are these entries? Is it possible that someone has mis read the entry and confused it with the one above or below for instance?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.

sindylin
    I only use IGI as a guide..there are mistakes.

Once I find something relevant I check out the records later myself.

Marie C..

Default The IGI

Have you also looked at surrounding parishes?
    Sometimes a few of the family are baptised in one church and the others in another nearby.... for whatever reason. Get a map of the area and look at all the parishes within a few miles. If the family moved during censuses then siblings Could have born in different parishes. Also look on different days. Sometimes it seems the IGI gives one list of family names one day and fewer(or more) on another day.

M

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast