Heather Wood

Default CUMMINGS & derivatives-STONEHOUSE 1850's

I am VERY new to this & stuck already!
    I've traced my family back to my g.g. g'dad SAMPSON CUMMINGS who is shown in 1871 census as living in CECIL STREET, STONEHOUSE, by 1881 census he was living in LONDON. He was born in 1850 & married SARAH at PLYMOUTH in 1869. Form her is wher I get stuck! I can find no record of his birth etc - there IS a Sampson Cummings in the 1851 census, but is shows him as being 15 YEARS old; 'my' Sampson would only have been around 15 MONTHS old! - could this be a transcription error?? I hope so because, although there are LOTS of Cummings/CUMMING/CUMMINS etc in the area at the time, I can't find SAMPSON listed anywhere - Can anyone PLEASE help me??!!
    Thank you, in anticipation,
    Heather.

kmdward

do you have sampson marriage cert, if so, find out fathers name. then cross check with the 1851 census info that you have, if fathers name is the same then there is a transcription error. try to find him on the 1861 census, as he will only be 11 or 12yrs should still be living with family and this will give you mothers and fathers name. Another option from 1871 & 1881 census get his birth place and look up GRO registers to see if you can find birth as this will also give parents names.
    good hunting

Ron Leech

If the birth date and place tie up in the 1871 and 1881 census then you are clearly looking in the right time frame, not always accurate in census. He may not have known his correct place of birth. He is not listed on FreeBMD 1845 to 1855, have you tried 1837online? Failing that I have found individuals by checking the books at the Family Record Centre Myddleton St, Islington the computer systems although very good do not pick up all of the errors, appreciating of course it may not be possible for you to get there.

Heather Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Leech
    If the birth date and place tie up in the 1871 and 1881 census then you are clearly looking in the right time frame, not always accurate in census. He may not have known his correct place of birth. He is not listed on FreeBMD 1845 to 1855, have you tried 1837online? Failing that I have found individuals by checking the books at the Family Record Centre Myddleton St, Islington the computer systems although very good do not pick up all of the errors, appreciating of course it may not be possible for you to get there.
    Thanks for your help Ron! Sorry to take so ling getting back to you - I forgot all about this site! I've got Sampson's birth certificate & found that he WAS born in 1850 &, with the help of other experts we've deduced that there must have been a transcript error. Now having problems with his father & mother! - Charles Cummings & Sarah Hannam & also the fact that Sampson's wife, Sarah Pooh, is shown in some records as being born in Plymouth in 1850 & in others as being born in 1853 in Ireland!

Heather Wood

Thanks for your help! Sorry to take so ling getting back to you - I forgot all about this site! I've got Sampson's birth certificate & found that he WAS born in 1850 &, with the help of other experts we've deduced that there must have been a transcript error. Now having problems with his father & mother! - Charles Cummings & Sarah Hannam & also the fact that Sampson's wife, Sarah Pooh, is shown in some records as being born in Plymouth in 1850 & in others as being born in 1853 in Ireland!

Ron Leech

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Wood
    Charles Cummings & Sarah Hannam & also the fact that Sampson's wife, Sarah Pooh, is shown in some records as being born in Plymouth in 1850 & in others as being born in 1853 in Ireland!
    I expect Plymouth to Ireland is not such a big step as there was quite a lot of trade between the 2 areas. Again if it is census records the age can quite often be out. The older people get the more they tend to forget their true age.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Heather Hoxton with his wife Sarah Pook.they had thirteen children in all. only six survived. they eventually moved to Fulham London Sampson died in July 1912. Cant find record for Sarah ( nee Pook yet)
    search the 1901 and 1911 Census for Fulham £" and 28 Walham Avenue

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That is the incorrect information. There were two families living in Walham Avenue Fulham. Your Sarah Pook was born in Somerset/Devon. her father was James mother Elizabeth K Brown. Sampson and Sarah's first child
    Charles Sampson Hanam died, The next child was William ( my Grandfather ) He married an Irish woman Dillon. Also Fulham Good luck.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello ninamay,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

You may have noticed that this thread is quite an old one, and so the originator is no longer a member of the forum. (As noted by 'guest' beneath their name.)

You seem to have this family sorted out, but if you have any queries on other names in your tree, then feel free to post them and our sleuths will see if they can help.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by ninamay View Post
    Hello Heather Hoxton with his wife Sarah Pook.they had thirteen children in all. only six survived. they eventually moved to Fulham London Sampson died in July 1912. Cant find record for Sarah ( nee Pook yet)
    search the 1901 and 1911 Census for Fulham £" and 28 Walham Avenue
    First, a very warm welcome to Britgen.
    I assume £" Walham Avenue is No 32 (shift was on?). A couple of interesting items in the newspapers referring to a William Cummings at that address -
    Fulham Chronicle 7 Nov 1930 - 17 yr old William Cummings in Court accused of "joyriding"
    Fulham Chronicle 16 Jan 1931 - funeral of William Cummings, age 56 (son William amongst mourners). If there's a family story about someone being buried with their front door-knocker - it's true.
    Westminster & Pimlico News, 7 Feb 1936 - William Cummings first on reserve list to represent Sunlight Laundry in dance competition.

These can be found on FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive (subscription site).
    This has brought back a lot of memories of my time in Fulham in late 50s/60s. Rellies in Rumbold Road and Kenyon Street - spent a lorra, lorra time there.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"