Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BUYER BEWARE

dietabix

Default BUYER BEWARE

buyer beware
    I joined a Genealogy Site a while ago, I added 4 images and got free 1 year membership, I now wish to leave the site, as anyone can look at the site member or not, so why be a member, but am told that I can't end my membership and remove my images. Also told in her own words " The images are now LEGALLY mine as " you " gave them ( of your own free will ) TO ME "
    Plus a load of abuse to go with it. I thought they would belong to the site and not a person, and I could remove them whenever I wish, not just on this site but any, am I wrong ? As you can imagine I am not a happy bunny, what I need now is a Any views on this would be very welcome.
    Sue

Reputation beyond repute

If you're that unhappy you should name and shame

If the site owner has abused you, and you have a copy of the message you should seriously consider giving it to the police. Internet abuse is becoming very prevalent and the police are taking it seriously.

You should not be afraid to tell us where the site is and what they said.
    If they are within their rights then they have nothing to fear, if they are not then it is their own fault
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Procat

Are there terms and conditions on the site that state that you agree to pass ownership etc etc?

pipsqueak

What site is it, please?

Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

Where is this site? So that we may all steer clear of it!

ash33au

Copyright laws in Australia state that publications (incl. websites) have the right to one usage of your images if you willingly supplied them for publication. The law clearly states that all images are the legal property of the photographer at all times.

Here is a snippet of something sent to me by one of my editors:
    Photos remain the copyright of the photographer unless otherwise agreed.

I don't know how the laws stack up elsewhere in the world but I assume they would be similar in the USA and UK

pipsqueak

I can understand the reluctance to publicly state it, but it would be helpful to know the name because even the US there are copyright laws. If we are to "beware" as suggested by the title of this thread, we should know of what.

dietabix

Hi all
    Sorry to hide away, but it has bothered me quite a bit, so here goes the site gumshoegenealogy.com .Thanks for all your support so far. Sue

Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

I just had a look. A pretty spartan site, a few photos but nothing to get excited about. The forum says you have to be registered but I posted there a test message no problem - lol. I think someone just set it up as a moneymaker.

There are 451 photos there and the site has been going since 2006. The site states that hundreds are added weekly (I don't think so). In fact the same list is shown for each category of items. i.e. photos, yearbook, documents, military etc. Basically there is not a lot there, just 451 'items'.

Give it a wide berth!
    Last edited by Creighton; 05-08-2008 at 3:27 PM. Reason: Addendum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast