Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Not wishing to be obtuse - but I have read this carefully - and in the context that the original poster has described - no breach of copyright is in fact taking place!!

Reputation beyond repute

The guidance is shown as having been revised in April 2009. Are you aware of exactly what the revisions were?

MythicalMarian

I have just uploaded my certificate images to my TP site too after checking the law on Crown Copyright and the displaying of certificates - I'll find the link in a mo. However it would appear that displaying of certificates is permissable providing there is no intention to defraud, advertise or use such a certificate to identify a living person.

The linkis HERE

Red Kite

Thanks to HiFly for drawing our attention to this. Sure pays to keep one's eye on the ball!

dvddigby

Can I please seek some clarification about this .....

https://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/crown-...-registers.htm

On this thread and on another one (fixed at the top of this board) some people seem to be using the above link to suggest that scanning of BMD certificates and displaying the scanned copy on an online family tree is not allowed. Other people seem to be using the very same link to suggest that it is acceptable to do so.

Is it allowed or not ?

dvddigby

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by dvddigby View Post
    Can I please seek some clarification about this .....

https://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/crown-...-registers.htm

On this thread and on another one (fixed at the top of this board) some people seem to be using the above link to suggest that scanning of BMD certificates and displaying the scanned copy on an online family tree is not allowed. Other people seem to be using the very same link to suggest that it is acceptable to do so.

Is it allowed or not ?

dvddigby
    dvd - if the tree is a public one accessible by anyone then it would not be allowed but if it is a password protected/private tree it would be allowed provided the said documents about living persons were not displayed. That is my take on it anyway.

I don't know if different countries have different Data Protection or Copywrite laws (I claim ignorance on that). I have been gifted with full certificates and I have also gifted in return, but they are certs for people long dead. I do not display these certifcates on my online tree at tribal pages as they take up too much space - I only use parish register entries of baptisms and marriages, using the full source information attached. One should always quote where the images come from and if they are "borrowed" from someone else's tree, ask first before using.

Hope that helps a little

MarkJ

The rules changed a while ago (presumably April 2009, since that is when the revision took place!). Prior to that, the rules - from memory - were that reproducing BMD certs was not permitted. However, the earlier rules were very ambiguous and the new rules seem very clear indeed and allow the publication of these certificates providing you stick to the rules.

If you have any doubt, then I would ask for clarification from the GRO.

Mark

Reputation beyond repute

This thread started in Aug 2008 and the official guidance was amended in April 2009. That may be why people may appear to be interpreting it in different ways.

Famous for offering help & advice

I have often compiled biographies of ancestors and family lines and used census images, BMD images, poor law records and parish registers but I write the books purely for home reading and private use in the home.

dvddigby

So, as long as it "is not used to advertise or promote a particular product or service" and it does not contain "personal data about living individuals", it seems that it is now permissible to display a copy of a BMD certificate online.

If that is now the case, would it be a good idea to unpin or amend the "Sticky" topic on this subject which currently suggests the opposite ?

The fact that it is “Sticky” suggests that it is still authoritative and valid.

dvddigby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast