Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gibo

Thumbs up FREE AVG V8 SOFTWARE

Hey good people - I have been using and recommend AVG freebie antivirus software.
    It is the right price and is easy to use. It includes anti-spyware protection as well.
    Has free updates daily - which is important becasue people don't realise that out of date protection IS THE SAME AS NOT HAVING ANY PROTECTION!

Good luck

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gibo View Post
    Hey good people - I have been using and recommend AVG freebie antivirus software.

But has it got a firewall, nothing mentioned about a firewall in the blurbo, if it hasn't got a firewall its not worth having----IMHO

Cheers

Ted.

MarkJ

If you are using Windows, then you should already have a firewall. Windows XP has included a semi decent firewall, enabled by default, since SP2. Most routers act as a firewall by using something called Network Adress Translation (NAT) as well.

AVG is a very good free anti virus software which I have no problem recommending to those people who don't already have anti virus software. It has a much lower memory footprint than many of the large well known companies' efforts.

If you want a free firewall as well, then look at Zone Alarm from Zone Labs. As with AVG, it does the job as well as any expensive product - but for free! Unlike many others, Zone Alarm allows you to block both incoming AND outgoing connections - which is very useful if you happen to pick up any spyware or similar junk which wants to dial home.

Finally, I would also recommend Spybot S&D or Lavasofts AdAware (or both if you are really paranoid!) to remove the spyware which accumulates on Windows machines.

Mark (IT Technician)

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Finally, I would also recommend Spybot S&D or Lavasofts AdAware (or both if you are really paranoid!) to remove the spyware which accumulates on Windows machines.

Mark (IT Technician)
    Looks like a Linux user - not enough of them around

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post
    Looks like a Linux user - not enough of them around
    Yes I am a Linux user
    But oddly, I rarely have to look at Linux systems for repair!

Personally, I have no issue with Windows machines (or Macs or BSD boxes or OS/2 machines or....), but I find Linux much better for the things I do. I do have an issue with the Microsoft company and their methods but not with the actual software in the main.

Mark

Tederator

Smile

[QUOTE=MarkJ;180946
    AVG is a very good free anti virus software
    Mark (IT Technician)[/QUOTE]

I don't have any problems with AVG, I've been using it for years, v7.5 at the moment, but it does have a firewall in it , which I like. I was just pointing out the fact that with no firewall in the version mentioned, it does not have full security coverage. AVG7.5 has been doing a good job for me and my other computers, I have never trusted freebies of any brand of AV systems at any time, there is always something missing. IMHO.

Cheers

Ted.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tederator View Post
    I don't have any problems with AVG, I've been using it for years, v7.5 at the moment, but it does have a firewall in it , which I like. I was just pointing out the fact that with no firewall in the version mentioned, it does not have full security coverage. AVG7.5 has been doing a good job for me and my other computers, I have never trusted freebies of any brand of AV systems at any time, there is always something missing. IMHO.

Cheers

Ted.
    Sorry Ted - I misunderstood your earlier comment. I haven't tried out version 8 of AVG as yet myself so I can't comment on that specific version.
    I have always found AVG to work fine myself and it is what I carry around for installation on Windows machines if they don't already have AV software. My own systems - as Michael noted - are Linux, thus avoiding the need for AV software.*

Because I work in an environment where free is the word of the day (i.e Open Source and Free Software) - and I began computing where most stuff was free or shareware even on the Microsoft platform - I have no problem with free software. Sensible choices are vital of course - a "free Vista ultimate download" could well be something else!
    A free Anti Virus program from a well respected outfit such as Grisofts AVG is going to do the job fine - but without the "bells and whistles" often found on other programs (which tend to be the cause of slowdowns anyway).

Whatever AV software people use, the most vital thing is to keep it up to date! The number of machines I come across which had a free years subscription to an AV program when they bought the system and then, when the free subscription ran out, they just don't update it.....
    Better to uninstall the commercial program if you won't pay for the updates and install a free ones such as AVG than to sit there with out of date virus definitions and assume all is well in a sense of false security.

Mark

* Whilst a couple of worms exist which can affect Linux machines, they are very program/version specific and aimed at servers. Like Windows machines, Linux boxes can fall foul of rootkits - but there are various ways to detect those.

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Whatever AV software people use, the most vital thing is to keep it up to date!

My AVG 7.5 downloads updates every day on start up, as my license on three computers expires next May I will consider my options at that time.

Cheers

Ted.

Marie C..

Default Free AVG v8 SOFTWARE

I have AVG 8. I also have Zone alarm. Zone alarm will not allow AVG daily updates nor will it allow AOL (my server) to connect. So I have to switch Zone alrm off before I can access the internet and I turn it on again when I sign off. (A nuisance to say the least.)
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    I have AVG 8. I also have Zone alarm. Zone alarm will not allow AVG daily updates nor will it allow AOL (my server) to connect. So I have to switch Zone alrm off before I can access the internet and I turn it on again when I sign off. (A nuisance to say the least.)
    Marie
    So what you are doing is turning your firewall off whilst you are online. This means that any unauthorised program/intruder attack/worm can enter your PC.

With Zonealarm you have to set it to allow the programs to access the Internet. Until you do it is of no value to your system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast