Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mistylincs

Default still the RODGER Family !

I have found a WILLIAM RODGER who is a Blacksmith and therefore may be the Father of my WILLIAM who married HARRIET TIDMARSH. WILLIAM senior was born in 1815 in Pittenween Fife and married MARGARET ? who was born in Leuchars in 1816. Can anyone find the maiden name of MARGARET. I am hoping to tie this into my family but apart from the christian names following down the generations I have very little to go on. The son WILLIAM was born in 1844 according to the Census in Fife which does match my criteria but I am having a hard time tracing him to 1866 when he married HARRIET TIDMARSH in Little Compton Gloucs,
    Hope someone can help.

Mary Young

1851 Dundee
    WILLIAM RODGER blacksmith born "Petterman" Fife.
    wife MARGARET born Leuchars
    John 9, William 7, Thomas 4, and James 1, all born Dundee.
    Several births (excluding William) are in I.G.I.
    parents WILLIAM ROGER and MARGARET ANSTRUTHER.
    Hope this helps!

mistylincs

Default Rodger Family

Hi Mary,
    Thank for your reply, Anstruther now that is a name to work with. I do hope I am barking up the right tree but this is the only WILLIAM RODGER who was a Blacksmith that I could find. I now need to trace WILLIAM the son I don't know whether you can help me further on this. I have looked at various Census but have drawn a blank. Showing my ignorance here but what does I G I stand for and is it open to all ?
    Thanks again
    Mistylincs

Mary Young

IGI is the International Genealogical Index free to view at familysearch.org. includes index to the Old Parish Registers (OPR) of the Established Church of Scotland.
    In 1861, William Rodger sr. blacksmith was in lodgings in Perth; I can't see any trace of his wife, William jr or the other Rodger children.

JustJean

Not sure if this helps but it looks like the parents and their youngest son from the IGI...David....are together on the 1871 census in Perth. A look at David's 1855 birth shows at that time that they had 4 sons living and 3 sons 1 daughter dec'd. I'm not seeing the family on the 1861 census yet either.

1871 Scotland Census
    Registration district: Perth Burgh
    Civil Parish: Perth Burgh
    Town: Perth
    County: Perthshire
    Street Address: 45 Kinnoull Causeway

Household consists of:
    David Rodger, age 15, son, b. Clackmannanshire, Alloa
    Margaret Rodger, age 55m wife, b. Forfarshire, Leuchars
    William Rodger, age 56, head, b. Forfarshire, Pittenweem, occ: Ship Blacksmith

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

I take that back.....this looks like Margaret and kids in 1861...

1861 Scotland Census
    Registration district: Dundee First District
    Civil Parish: Dundee
    County: Angus
    Street Address: Gellatly Street No 23

Household consists of:
    David Roger age 5, son
    Jas Roger age 11, son
    John Roger age 19, son
    Margt Roger age 42,head b. Leuchars, Fifeshire, occ: Engineer's wife

No William so that is a good sign....now just to prove that he didn't die and is the same one married in England!!

Best wishes
    Jean

Mary Young

Good work! Those contracted forenames really complicate the search, don't they?
    Tragically high rate of child deaths in the family.
    I wonder if Margaret and her children were in the local fever hospital or workhouse in 1861, and either wrongly enumerated or missed altogether.

mistylincs

Default RODGER FAMILY

Thankyou all so much for your replies. It is getting really frustrating now cos WILLIAM (junior) isn't the invisible man he has to be somewhere between being born and getting married in 1866. What did they have to do back then to be a Teacher did they just have to have a good education which I suppose was rare before the National Schools came into force. WILLIAM was headmaster at Harmston School near Lincoln.

mistylincs

Default Rodgers Family

Am sorry to be a pest but I have found the date of the marriage of MARGARET ANSTRUTHER and WILLIAM RODGER in Scotland 1st June 1838 how do I get a copy of their marriage certificate, are they the same as ours in Endland.?

JustJean

Scottish statutory registration didn't begin until 1855 so if you found a marriage reference to 1838 then it must have been in the Old Parish Registers which were Church of Scotland. Digital images of these are available online from ScotlandsPeople website (pay per veiw) but what it will contain can be extremely variable. It's furthermore doubtful that it will contain anything that will positively link those parents with your William.

You mentioned that William married in 1866 in England. Am I correct in assuming this marriage states his fathers name as William and that he was a blacksmith??? Is there any evidence of a naming pattern fin William and Harriet's children or even a middle name that could be a pointer to earlier generations???

I'm not sure about the teacher qualification issue.....I had a grgr aunt who was a teacher in Scotland and then in the US around 1890-1910 but I don't believe she had any formal training other than probably passing a certification test of some sort.

Best wishes
    Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast