monkstown

Default LETTS 1800s - Diary family

I am researching the writer Winifred M Letts (1882-1972). She was the third daughter of Rev Ernest F Letts and Mary Isabel Ferrier (of Knockmaroon, Dublin). Her siblings were Mary Felicia Simeon Letts and Dorothea Margaret Letts. At the time of Winifred's birth, they lived in Manchester and had previously lived in Summertown, Oxford. I have quite a lot of information about them but always grateful for more.

I am particularly interested in trying to sort out the relationship between Thomas W Letts (Curator of Maps at Lenox Library, New York) (dates unknown) and Thomas Alton Letts (possibly Curator of Maps at American Geographical Society early 1900s). Thomas A lived on Staten Island NY and had left England for Canada in the 1880s I think.

All assistance welcomed!
    Bairbre

Martinlf

Default Mary Isabel Ferrier

Do you have any more information on Mary Isabel? For some reason (lost source!) I have Alexander Ferrier as her father.

Thomas Alton Letts (1838–1927)son of Thomas Letts - born in Stockwell, son of John Letts (1772–1851), a bookbinder and printer of the Royal Exchange. In 1816,John Letts published “Letts’s diary or bills owed book and almanack”, the first commercially produced diary. Thomas Alton and Charles John took over the bookbinding/diary company from their father. Friends of West Norwood Cemetery could help maybe.

Super Moderator

Looks like Thomas Alton Letts married Catherine Elizabeth Scott on 16 June 1865 at St. John, Penge, Surrey. Father Thomas.

There is Admission papers for Freedom of the City:

Thomas Alton Letts son of Thomas Letts of No. 8 Royal Exchange in the City of London, Stationer. It looks like he was a Merchant Tailor but was apprenticed to his father to learn his Art. This is dated 1852.

Thomas Alton died 2 July 1927. and is buried in Moravian Cemetery, New York. His wife was Catherine Elizabeth (died 1912) and his children Bertha (died 1915, Norah Mary Edith died 1921
    Victor (died 1931) All buried in Moravian Cemetery.

You probably know all this anyway. But reading the Admission papers looks like his father was who you think it was.

Super Moderator

The 1871 census in 4 Breakspears Road, Greenwich, shows Thomas Alton as a Stationer, employing 100 men. His mother and father-in-law live at the address too along with 5 servants.

Super Moderator

Thomas Alton also appears on the 1851 census as a Pupil in Stockwell and on the 1861 with his father, Thomas born abt. 1805 in London - a stationer employing 60 men and mother Emma, looks like Peony Villa, Lewisham

Red face Thomas Alton buried at Moravian Cemetery

Thanks for this interesting additional material.

Mary Ferrier married Ernest Letts in Belfast in 1874. He was the Rector at Newtown Heath,
    Manchester from 1885 until at least 1895. Although she died in Belfast in 1892, his
    mother Emma is listed in the National Probate Calendar as being resident at Newtown
    Heath. One of Ernest’s children, Winifred Letts, gained some prestige as a writer of
    novels plays and poetry. Friends of West Norwood Cemetery newsletter 97 has more details online.

13 years on, I am still tinkering with this research - thank you very much for the recent replies. I am especially delighted with the article on the family in the Newsletter 97. Thanks again.