Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by IvorClucas View Post
    Sue,

The index of birth registrations that I have has transcribed the place as WINNSGREEN. MUCH COWARNE. (rather than your Wirresgreen). I have just looked at the Ordinance Survey Map for the area and there is a "hamlet"/farm just to the west (about 2 km) of Much Cowarne called Wynn's Green. I think this must be the place.

Hope this helps

Ivor
    Hello Ivor and thanks

Maybe with a correct spelling I will have better luck in my searching. I have trouble understanding how English communities are set up. Would Winnsgreen be a small town, just a home address or a mistake by the original transcriber or person who entered the record and it should have read Wynn's Green? I thought Much Cowarne was the town, but is it an area?

Here I go again!

Sue

PS> It is Much Cowarne, not Much Cowan(e)....correct? I have seen several different spellings.

IvorClucas

Sue,

The present day spelling is Much Cowarne but I am sure (like most places) the spelling has changed over the centuries. If you go to https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF...ebury1876.html
    you will find a description of it as it was in 1876 - a small village. You will see that Richard Meredith is mentioned as a farmer at Bridgend. Wynn's Green is even smaller - just a collection of houses, I suspect, to the west.

If you go to https://wheresthepath.googlepages.com/wheresthepath.htm
    and put in Much Cowarne you will see a map and Satellite image of Much Cowarne and to the West Wynne's Green.....enjoy

The registrar would have asked the person registering the birth where the mother lived and they would have said the name of the house - Wynn's Green, the registrar would have written it down as he heard it (Winnsgreen) probably not knowing the place itself. The person registering the birth probably could not read and write and therefore did not correct the spelling - this is how the names of places, and people change over the centuries.

Cheers

Ivor

Ivor...

I love satellite images and why I didn't think of that sooner.... Thankyou so very much for that site!
    I am familiar with the Genuki site..thanks again..now I'm off to explore your beautiful country some more. I can see where all the ancestors lived!

Don't know if I'll find Jane's Daddy, but at least I'll know where she grew up!

Sue

IvorClucas

Sue,

Glad you like the web site - it is great isn't it,

Good luck with finding Jane's Dad......not an easy one

Ivor

Default Update...

I'm still searching away and not having alot of luck, however I have found people of all walks of life at Winsgreen( spelling on the census) including a taylor (sic) and what appears to say bread man. Did they have bread men in those days...1851?
    I must say the census takers in Herefordshire had beautiful penmanship..just some of it didn't copy very clearly.
    In the 1861 census there is a John Powell, 2 years younger than Jane and he is listed as a grandson of Thomas and Susan ...I'm guessing he may be a brother of Jane and whose name she used for a father on her marriage certificate.
    Well back to work...( insert smilie with a shovel--for digging away!)

Sue

genealogy_gen

Just on the off chance- I've just started researching my grandmother's family which is quite a mystery! My great-grandmother is Charlotte M Powell and the closest match I can find is a marriage in 1913 to a William Bowden (my great-grandfather's name). I was wondering whether in your research you've come across her as I'm reaching a dead end at the moment. She was born on 22/4/1893.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi genealogy_gen...

Sorry, I haven't come across a Charlotte in my Powell searches. Do you know where she was born? There are certainly alot of Powells and no answers, it seems. At least now her name is on here, someone may pick up on her when doing a search and help will be at hand. If I find a connection I will let you know.

Sue

PS> Welcome to the forum.... you will be amazed at all the help that is forthcoming on this site.
    Last edited by susan-y; 02-01-2010 at 7:21 PM. Reason: ps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12