Sue Simonich

Default Newberry/Newburg/Newborough

Hello:

My name is Sue. I haven't visited for quite awhile. I am looking for others who are interested in the Newberry family from early times such as 1600 forward. Looking for the roots of my Newberry family from Dorset. My ancestor Richard Newberry was a Planter in New England (Weymouth, MA) around 1643. Anyone out there who has followed this same group?

Thanks so much,
    Sue
    USA

Sue Simonich

Default Othe Fraunces in Netherbury

Hello British Genners:

I am faced with yet another, in a continuing line of questions, about the geography of 16th century co. Dorset. Can anyone tell me where I might find a map of old manors in the county? Specifically, I am looking for Oth Fraunces, (spellings vary) which was supposedly near Netherbury. None of the maps that I have looked at (and I have looked at a great many) tell about this manor. Is there a resource listing old manors, and where perhaps more information about day to day history might be found?

The family who inhabited this manor were named Newburgh. It was eventually handed down to Walter Newburgh, whose son (also Walter) was a member of the Dorchester Adventurers. Walter's progenitors who owned it in previous centuries actually owned large holdings in Dorsetshire around E. Lulworth and owned quite a bit of land on the Isle of Purbecke. They were the founders of Bindon and Cerne Abby.

There is a place along the Purbeck coast by the name of Worth, for which I am wondering if the Manor in Netherbury was not named. One of the various spellings of Othe Francais, was Worth Francais. Any Dorset historians out there have an idea? I know that the land in Purbeck was acquired by this Walter Newburgh along with lands in Netherbury at the death of his cousin Sir Roger Newburgh. Walter was the legatee and executor of Sir Roger's will. It is said that Walter founded Othe Fraucais as a minor arm of the family, when Sir Roger died without a male heir. His daughter passed the remaining family lands of her home in E. Lulworth, along to her husband Sir John Marney. Hutchins' mentions that some of the Lulworth land passed to Queen Katherine Howard, during her short tenure onthe throne. Later, the Howard family became the owners of E. Lulworth when the Duke of Norfolk's son, Thomas Howard junior, married one of Marney's daughters. At some point the Howards built Lulworth castle. Any other evidence of a manor at E. Lulworth disappeared probably during Henry VIII's insanity, when the Abbys and any other related history were torn down. I mention this in case there might be a link to the history in some way.

This is probably more than you wished to know, but I thought it might help identify a minor point that would help with my questions. As always, thanks for any information anyone can offer.

Dorset Girl

There is a reference under Google Books -

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=...esult&resnum=1 .

Also there is a some information concerning this on A**** message boards under Mary Porter m. Samuel Pettibone - don't know if you have seen that at all?
    Marion

Sue Simonich

Hi Marion:

I tried to look at that book and the page seemed to be restricted. Hmm. . . Don't really know what you mean by A*** message boards. Thanks for your patience.

Sue

Dorset Girl

Hi Sue,

If you go to https://books.google.com.au/books?id=...ummary_s&cad=0 and under Search type in Newburgh you should be able to see a snippet on Newburgh.

As for A******** I just went into their message boards and found a whole section about Newburgh - all on the history etc - and it was under the names that I mentioned before - Mary Porter m. Samuel Pettibone.
    Keep trying - I found it fairly easily.

Marion

Sue Simonich

Here I am back again after many months/years. I have been working on the Newburgh and Westbury family again, as I believe they do a cross-over via aliasing. Looking for other people who have the name Westbury in their genealogies, especially those who come from the 15th century forward from father to son in the West Country. We are also looking for the Newburgh family. It seems that there are no modern Newburghs who are posting on the genealogy sites. I'm sure there must be some in the UK where I would like to make contact. Looking for men who might help on a DNA study.

thewideeyedowl

Default Somerset & Dorset Family History Society

Hi Sue

Have you tried the Somerset & Dorset Family History Society? Here's the link: https://www.sdfhs.org. They seem quite useful. Incidentally, I also have family originating from both these counties.

Owl