Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    racing girl

Default My Cornish Names - Doney, Gumb & Goyne

My main Cornish lines are:

Gumb - Linkinhorne area (Brockinshear, Chapman and Cowle married into this line among others. Also, a number of this line emigrated to Australia)

Doney - North Hill/Quethiock areas (Many, many, names married into this line, including Greenwood, Souther, Gumb, Truscott, Caunter, Sleep, Aunger)

Goyne (and variants) - St Agnes. Like looking for a tree in the forest!

Please let me know if anyone has/wants any extra information on these lines.

Brenda

Jean Ashfield

Default doney

please look at my website
    https://homepage.ntlworld.com/jean.aj...logy/index.htm
    my gran was a doney
    Jean

kenripper

Default Goyne

I have some Goynes on my tree as well, shown in part on my website at
    https://www.kenripper.btinternet.co.u...dex3.htm#Goyne

The Goynes I have descend from Richard and Ursula Goyne whose son Peter Goyne was christened 19 Jul 1668 in St Agnes. The latest date I have for the descendants is a narriage in 1951. This exists as a report I can't publish here but would be pleased to share with you.

The home page of my website is ..
    https://www.kenripper.btinternet.co.uk/
    ..where you'll find contact details. Please get in touch and we may be be able to help one another develop this branch further.

Ken

racing girl

Hello Jean-
    Thanks for your reply re the Doney's. I know of your website and have used it before for research, I met my second cousin on there, she was listed as a Doney researcher! You may also recall that we had a couple of email conversations about 3 or 4 years ago regarding some incorrect information on the Quethiock Doney tree for my Gt Gt Grandfather, John Doney (bn North Hill 1844), I emailed the lady who gave you the information, twice actually, but she didn't want the update! Shame really. The incorrect information concerns the weddings of two John Doney's, both born in North Hill in 1844, who were both married in 1870. The wedding certificates are widely available, I have both, but she didn't want them. Still, you've provided a lot of other great info and I'm grateful for that, plus finally "meeting" my second cousin too!

Ken, I will definitely have a look at your site and send you an email. The Goynes of St Agnes have plagued me for a number of years, I'd love to sort out the line, even if it just means finally being able to discount a couple of folks who may or may not be clouding the issue!

Brenda

mamaburk

I am also interested in the Doney family .... I have the birth record of Elizabeth Doney born in Liskeard parish 15 Jun 1838 to Ann Doney; Ann Doney, grandmother was the informant. I also have the baptismal record of Elizabeth Cook Doney, natural daughter of Ann Doney, spinster, in St. Neot parish 16 Sep 1838. My inclination is to make these two records refer to the same person. Do they? Where does the "Cook" in her name come from?

I have been looking for the marriage of the parents of William John Masters whose birth registration in 1862 shows that his father was William John Masters and his mother Elizabeth Masters, formerly Doney.

Jean, I tried to access your website, and found I could not ... I am disappointed.

Ruth

racing girl

Hello Ruth
    I don't have your Doney's in my tree but I'd like to try and help you find them, as they're all related to each other if you go back far enough. Jean has changed her website

https://www.
    ancestryhost.org/jeanajin/index.htm it's here. Please send me a pm or an email, the info is in my profile.

Brenda
    Last edited by Procat; 20-03-2010 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Link to personal web site removed.

racing girl

Ruth
    The marriage took place in the December Qtr of 1859 in Liskeard:

Liskeard 5c 142

Brenda

racing girl

Ruth
    May just be a coincidence, but I found these baptism/marriage records on the Cornwall Online Parish Clerk Site for St Neot. I thought they were interesting as you know Elizabeth's mother and grandmother were both called Ann.

Ann Jey/Gay Doney chr 21 Jan 1818 St Neot to Samuel & Ann Doney

Cornwall OPC, Samuel Doney married Ann Gay 17 AUG 1814 in St Neot, goom made mark, bride signed. Witnesses were John Dumble & Richard Nile

Baptisms to Samuel and Ann, all in St Neot. Samuel is listed as a farmer.

21-Jan 1818 St Neot. Ann Jey
    29-Dec 1818 St Neot. Samuel
    27-Jan 1820 St Neot. John
    29-Jul 1821 St Neot. Joseph
    10-Oct 1824 St Neot. William
    12-Mar 1828 St Neot. Caroline

They may or may not turn out to be yours so I don't want to cloud the issue! Cornwall is very well represented on the internet with regards to parish and census information via these two sites: Cornwall OPC and the Cornwall Online Census Project. The census info transcribed here is also available from FreeCen, which I think, has a better search engine to find people.

Brenda

racing girl

Bummer! Scrap this family Ruth.... Ann Jey Doney died in 1835 of Scarlet Fever! She was buried on 11 Jan 1835.

Brenda

mamaburk

Default Doney - Masters marriage

Thanks for your help, Brenda .... you must have worked at this on and off all day. Just got notice of your posts.

I do have that cert ... and it poses problems as well. William Masters 22 of St. Neot, son of Matthew, married Elizabeth Doney, 21, of St. Cleer, daughter of JOHN DONEY.

When Elizabeth Masters died in Sept 1888 at age 49 in Higher Li?? Street, Liskeard Borough, the informant was Susanna Doney, mother, of Moores Court, Liskeard Borough [street names approx, as writing not great].

There was a John Doney married to Susanna Littlejohns on Feb 26, 1828 in North Hill. [Aside: I think that there were two John/Susanna households, as there seem to be two different sets of children's names. ] When I sent for the birth record of Elizabeth born 1838 in Liskeard, I got a record that showed she was born to Ann Doney, and grandma Ann Doney was the informant.

There are only these two entries on FreeBMD: Doney Elizabeth Liskeard 9 159 Sep qtr 1838 - have cert, appears wrong Doney and Doney Elizabeth Camelford 9 58 Dec qtr 1838 - sent for this, but registrar says father is not John and mother not Susanna.

There are no pre1937 Elizabeths for John and Susanna either. So now what?

Ruth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast