Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revenue Cutter

arrandi

Hi again,
    thanks for those notes. I have a copy of the gravestone somewhere. Its a while since I last looked at my notes. I sort of came to a standstill last year. Will get back to you in a few days.

Audrey.

kenmac

Default Revenue Cutter - Royal George

My gggg Grandfather John McFee was the Steward on the Royal George in the late 1700s. I have a booklet published by the Largs and North Ayrshire Family History Society which lists all OPR references to Officers and Seaman of the Cumbrae Cutters.

I would be happy to provide any information I have.

Ken

lauriemac

Default Revenue Cutter-Royal George

Hi Ken

Thanks for the offer, my ancestor onboard the Royal George was Archibald Crawford, he was born 1772 Cumbrae and died 1858, if you have him in your list of crew I would I would appreciate a copy of whatever it says.

Thanks again

Laurie

arrandi

Hi Ken,
    Just seen your message. My ancestors aboard the Royal George were Isaac Thomson & John Thomson residing in Cardiff Street. Millport. Any news of them?

Thanks
    Audrey.

kenmac

Default Revenue Cutter - Royal George

Lauriemac

The pamphlet I referred to contains entries for four different Archibald Crawfords. From your earlier posts it would seem the man that relates to you is this one :-

Name - Archibald Crawford
    DOB - 1/1/1782
    Crew Position - Mariner RGC
    Wife - Janet Thomson
    DOB - 1/1/1772
    Daughter - Mary b. 9/12/1799
    Son - Archibald b. 2/8/1801
    Daughter - Margaret b. 25/11/1802
    Son - Thomas b. 15/3/1804
    Daughter - Hannah b. 1/4/1807
    Daughter - Jean b. 28/3/1809
    Daughter - Elizabeth b. 1/12/1811
    Daughter - Agnes b. 14/2/1814

My ggg Grandfather is an Archibald Crawford from Cumbrae but I cannot link to any of these, at the moment. I have always had an interest in the Cumbrae Crawfords as Crawford is my middle name and for many years I did not know where it came from. Having spent many happy holidays on Cumbrae I was delighted to establish the link.

Arrandi

The pamphlet does show Isaac Thompson but gives no details of John being a crewman. This of course does not prove that he wasn't as working on the Cutter seems to have been a job passed from father to son. The details provided are as follows :-

Name - Isaac Thomson
    Crew Position - Mariner RGC
    Wife - Elizabeth Wilson
    Son - John b. 13/9/1784
    Son - Andrew b. 13/5/1787
    Daughter - Elizabeth b. 15/1/1789
    Son - Archibald b. 9/5/1794
    Son - Isaac b. 1/10/1796
    Daughter - Mary b. 17/1/1799
    Son - William b. 27/12/1801

The pamphlet provides some background to the siting of the Cutter at Millport. It would seem that the earliest reference to it was 1728 and the latest 1822. It advises that the crew was up to 60 members and the majority of these crewmen lived in Millport. It seems being an officer or seaman on the Customs Boat conferred some social standing and it is one of very few professions referred to in the Parish Records.

Able Seamen are described in three forms in the OPR

King's Boatmen
    Cuttersmen
    Mariner RGC (Royal George Cutter)

Hope this is of use

Ken

lauriemac

Default Revenue Cutter-Royal George

Hi ken

thanks for the information, seems a coincidence that ARRANDI'S ancestors are Thomson and Archibald Crawfords wife was Janet Thomson, have to see if there is a connection.

I appreciate your help, thanks again.

Laurie

arrandi

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Another bit I can add on to the family history.
    Audrey. (arrandi)

corinnefs

Default Robert Wright

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    My gggg Grandfather John McFee was the Steward on the Royal George in the late 1700s. I have a booklet published by the Largs and North Ayrshire Family History Society which lists all OPR references to Officers and Seaman of the Cumbrae Cutters.

I would be happy to provide any information I have.

Ken
    Very excited to see your message, Ken, as I have just found an ancestor who was listed as a mariner on the Royal George Cutter on a christening document dated 1820! Is it popssible that he is listed on this list that you have. Would be very interested to hear from you.
    All the best
    Corinne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12