Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    David Brimson

Wink Mining disaster index

Hi all,
    I don't know if anone has seen this before but if you haven't there is a searchable index.
    It 's good for doing a "one name study" like me or if you have mining ancestry.
    The person I found came from Frome in Somerset & was not Welsh.

Cheers....David Brimson

Hi David, it has been necessary to remove your link as the site no longer exists for mining disasters; the url is now a commercial site for an engineering firm.

As I understand it the resource you gave a link for has been transferred to Ancestry.

Almach.

Tom-W

Just to add to this, if you have Scottish mining connections, this site is invaluable:

https://www.mining-villages.co.uk/index.html

This is my payback after the huge amount of help they have given me with my ancestors!

All the best

Tommy

brianb

Quote Originally Posted by David Brimson View Post
    Hi all,
    I don't know if anone has seen this before but if you haven't there is a searchable index.
    It 's good for doing a "one name study" like me or if you have mining ancestry.
    The person I found came from Frome in Somerset & was not Welsh.

Cheers....David Brimson
    Thanks for this link David.

some may recall recently helping me with the deaths of two brothers, and their finding they were involved in the Senghenydd disaster of 1913. I have found mases of info on the disaster, includingnewspaper reports etc.

This new site however not only gives names of victims but also if married, single and other dependents, such as elderly parents or illegitimate children.

I have spent a good few hours trying to find info on the brothers and knew one was married, but did not know if there were any children, nor if the other brother was married.

This site has cleared that up, just the one married, and no children !

Hence it has saved me further hours research.

Thanks again for this posting.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by almach; 03-04-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Removed url which no longer exists

johnpritt

Many thanks for the "heads-up", it's an interesting site. However, is the information always accurate?
    I have family who worked in the Cumberland mines, so am interested in sites like this, and had already found the name of one Pritt who died in a mining accident from the Durham Mining Museum site (https://www.dmm.org.uk/), so was curious to see what this site would return.
    It gave three names, the John Pritt who is also listed on the Durham site, together with a David Pritt (indicated as only being injured in a Lancashire pit) and a G. Pritt who is listed as having died in the Haig Pit accident in 1931.
    What is confusing is that the date is given as 05/02/1931 but the accident occurred on the 29th January; in the notes it says that he was suffering from shock so I imagine it quite possible that he mght have died a few days after the accident. However, I can't find his name in the list of casualties (neither on the Durham site nor on the Haig site nor matter in the Haig book that I've got), nor can I find a record of his death in any of the registers that I've got access to for 1931.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpritt View Post
    Many thanks for the "heads-up", it's an interesting site. However, is the information always accurate?
    Accurate - Not 100%. I'm interested in the accidents for my home town and they have 2 people listed as killed when they wasn't even injured, and 2 missing off the list. It was a reporting error at the time. I think it is taken from newspapers and actual reports/records, of the time. I have found out about one 'accident' where a bind of coal fell on some one's head and that wasn't even reported to the mine owners and the person died 6 days later. So in this case there was an known accident but it isn't in the mine records. I suspect yours could be similar.

johnpritt

Thanks Neil, that makes sense. And at least it gives me an idea that the G Pritt in question was working in the pit at that time so that I have a direction for some more research

John

Heather Bell

Default Mining disaster index

Many thanks David for posting this link. I've found a couple of relatives on it already - one of whom I didn't know had died down the mine. As I have a lot of mining ancestors I'm sure that it's going to prove a very interesting and useful site.

Best wishes,

Heather

Izzycat

I wonder if they have included all the information that was on Ian Winstanley's site. I found my grandfather listed as a casualty at Coed Ely colliery in 1948, he was injured not killed, but he isn't on this new website. Ian has already sent me the details so it's not a problem for me but may explain why some are not finding their ancestors included.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzycat View Post
    I wonder if they have included all the information that was on Ian Winstanley's site. I found my grandfather listed as a casualty at Coed Ely colliery in 1948, he was injured not killed, but he isn't on this new website. Ian has already sent me the details so it's not a problem for me but may explain why some are not finding their ancestors included.
    Hi Izzycat
    I have been in contact recently with Ian and he has retired and his material is now on the Raleys site (mining Index).

birdsedge

Quote Originally Posted by David Brimson View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers....David Brimson
    Thanks for this. I found three members of the Jones family killed in the Oaks Colliery disaster, Barnsley, in 1866 and Edward Henry Lockyer killed in a roof fall at Wheldon Colliery, Castleford in 1898 - which I knew about but didn't have the colliery details. I also found a potential Robinson relative killed in Methley, Leeds, but I need to do a bit more research to link that one in.
    Last edited by almach; 03-04-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Removed url which no longer exists

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast