Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jan S

Default Reggie Smith - Canada

Hi and thanks for that you make it all sound so easy lol

Not sure how I find the directories but when I get some spare time (not easy when you work full time) I will take a look into it all further and see if I can come up with some clues. Would be great to find out more about him as he is the only relative that we couldn't track a death for. Obviously he has passed away now but he did have a family so maybe we could find out more from them if only we can find out about him first.

Thanks for you help

Jan

Mary Anne

Jan

Well, genealogy is one thing where it's easy to be a back-seat driver - "given this, go look at that" stuff. Of course it is NEVER that easy, as we all know...

City directories are not USUALLY online, alas, with a few notable exceptions. But they can be very useful little tools!! Why I think you might do best to write to the New Brunswick Genealogical society, since they may have some volunteers who may be answering enquiries and could look for you at the local archives. Occasionally, if you write to the archives themselves, they may do the lookups for you, depends on how busy they are, but I have found that if you are very specific they are usually very helpful.

Good luck

BeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
    I am starting to favour this one going to St John's as thinking about it he would be 16/17ish,
    Reg SMITH, Departing 27 March 1912, from Liverpool to Saint John Nb, Ships name -Grampian.
    Bumblebee
    I found this Reg on the passenger list for the Grampian, which arrived in Saint John 4 April 1912.
    He was Reginald SMITH, age 20, destination Toronto, Ontario.

Because of his age it doesn't sound like your guy, Jan.

Jan S

Default Reggie Smith

Hi, we searched the passenger lists too and only came up with 2 possibilities. His name was actually registered at birth as Reggie but he called himself Reg in later life. The only 2 Reg Smiths that we found that were possible were o the Grampain in 1912 leaving from Liverpool to Halifax St. John & on the Victoria in 1909 leaving Liverpool for Quebec & Montreal. We also thought the 2nd entry would probably have made him too young so have been trying to work on the Halifax line. Do you know how accuarate the passenger lists are, are they all listed on line at this moment in time or are they still working on some? I have been in contact with someone who lives in the village where the family used to live in Essex i fear that unless he can unravel somemore information for me we may just have hit that proverbial brick wall.
    Oh well guess I will have to wait and see what the 1911 census turns up.

Thanks again

Jan

BeeJay

I wonder if Reg may have gone to the U.S. first, then moved to Canada later?

The (free) Ellis Island website has a couple of possible Reg's and one Reggy on their passenger lists:
    https://www.ellisisland.org/default.asp

I've searched online indexes (Ontario, B.C., Manitoba) for a marriage of Reg and Olive but I didn't find one.

Best of luck with your search, Jan!

Jan S

Default Reggie Smith

Hi Beejay

Thank you so much for your help, in fact a few people have tried to help but that brick wall is as strong as ever.

Still, find my past . com said they will have the 1911 census online by 2009 I thought this was a little early but thats what they say so maybe we will gather a few more clues from that.

Thanks again

Jan

Jan S

Hi Beejay

We have had a breakthrough in our search for Reggie Smith, we now know that he died in 1976 and that he was married to someone called Olive Viola Pollon born 18.03.1903 and died January2004 in Wynyard Saskatchewan, Canada. As you are the expert on all things Canadian I wondered if you have any clues on where I would be best to hunt next.

Thanks

Jan

BeeJay

Hi Jan:

I may have found your Reggie on a passenger list.

On Sept.16th the Canadian passenger lists for 1865-1935 became available on Ancest. and there is:

On the Corsican from Liverpool, arrived in Quebec 14 July 1919
    Reggie Smith, age 23, born in England
    Occupation in England: butcher
    Intended occupation in Canada: farming
    Going to brother in Biggar, Saskatchewan

Biggar is not too far from Wynyard.
    Reggie was travelling with Percy Smith (age 35) and his wife Harriet, both also going to Biggar to be farmers.
    Do you think this is your Reggie??
    If so, it would seem very likely that he married in Saskatchewan.

Do you have Olive's birth certificate?
    She was born in Manitoba and it can be ordered if you're interested. It looks like she was living in Sask. with her parents by the time of the 1911 census.

Jan S

Hi Beejay,
    Sadly Reggie Smith who travelled in 1919 was not the same Reggie that we are looking for as he did not have a brother as far as we have been told although he did come from a family of farmers.
    Do you know if it is as easy to order death certificates from Canada as it is from England?
    Thanks
    I really do appreciate your help
    Jan

BeeJay

Oh darn, it's disappointing that he isn't your Reggie! There are so many similarities - this one even said he was a "Farmer's Son".

If it's Sask. death certificates that you're interested in, for Olive and Reggie, I don't know if you'd be able to get them because they're too recent. They're also quite expensive:
    https://www.health.gov.sk.ca/death-certificates

Each province handles its own vital statistics and they have different rules, prices, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast