Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staffs Boaties

Hi do you have a Samuel Wilday in your tree as he is a witness on a marriage certificate for 1 of my rellies

valium

Default boat folks

I have canal people in my tree from Staffordshire and Cheshire only four children were allowed to live on a boat at any time health and safety so as the mother had the fourth child one of the others were farmed out my great aunt who had a coal yard at Wheellock would have some of them to live with her as she had a large house. as soon as i have my records back on line i will look to see if we are related Valxxx

Default Williams

Hi

Im reading with intterest your post. I'm looking for an Esther who was adopted by Williams canal familythe birth date is a bit out. On Esther's birth certificate her DOB was 1864 but perhaps these things are very fluid?
    How did you find them on the census by interest?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnP View Post
    I have William Williams b1813 - Iscoyd, Shropshire/Flints married to Elizabeth Bradshaw b1815 - Whitchurch, Shropshire - married 10/9/1834 (from Whitchurch parish register)

I have found them in 1841, 1851, 1871 and some of the family in 1881, 1891, 1901 censuses. I have a gap of 20 years (1851 - 1871) There's no Ann Williams listed with them on the 1871 census. There's a possibility that she was married by then, but she would have only been aged about 14yrs old.

The names of William & Elizabeth's children are:
    John Williams b1835 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    William Williams b1837 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Ambrose Williams b1840 -died 1845 (fell into canal and drowned)
    James Williams b1842 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Walter Williams b1844/49? - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Mary Williams b1849 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    Enoch Williams b1853 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    George Williams b1856/7 - Norwood, MIddlesex, London
    Esther Williams b1859 - Runcorn, Cheshire
    William Williams b1861 - Dudley, Staffordshire
    Ambrose Williams b1867 - Dudley, Staffordshire.

Most of the males were boatmen too. Do any of the above mean anything to you?

Ann

Mme Marple, I’m very sorry but you seem to have not noticed the dates in this thread. No previous contributor is still a member (as you can see from the tag “guest” under their names). We leave the old threads because they contain useful material.
    In reply to your question, it seems likely to me that the less usual names of one or two of the children (eg Ambrose) possibly helped.

many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Mme Marple, I’m very sorry but you seem to have not noticed the dates in this thread. No previous contributor is still a member (as you can see from the tag “guest” under their names). We leave the old threads because they contain useful material.
    In reply to your question, it seems likely to me that the less usual names of one or two of the children (eg Ambrose) possibly helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12