Junekw

Default Ballindine, Kilvine, Co Mayo

My families from Kilvine, Co Mayo are the Quinn family and the Duane/Divane/Devine/Divine and many other variations.

Thomas Duane married (or possibly pretended to marry, as despite extensive searches a record of marriage eludes us) Catherine/Kate/Kitty Quinn and had the following children;
    Patrick Duane b 1865
    William Duane b 1867
    Thomas Duane b 1869
    Winifred Devane b 1870
    Bridget Devane b 1872 and
    Martin Devane b 1874.

All the children except Winifred who died in infancy attended Irishtown National School and their surname at school was Divane.
    William emigrated to New York, USA in 1888 and his name was Devine.
    Thomas moved to Stockport, England and his name was Divine.
    Martin also moved to Stockport, England and his name was Devine.

If anyone can help with what happened to Patrick and Bridget I would be most grateful. Aslo Catherine Quinn had an older brother, Michael who emigrated to Indiana, USA. He was b 1824 and d 1864 in Kokomo and is buried with Mark McTigue and members of his family at Crown Point. Any help with the Quinn family will be gratefully received.

Thank you for reading this epic. June

kirrane

Default Kilvine, Co. Mayo

June, You mention Mark McTigue, Kokomo in relation to Quinn family. Mark McTigue is my great-grandmother's brother and he emigrated to the US in the 1850's and worked as a gravedigger, in Crown Point Cemetery, Kokomo. He married a widow, Mrs. Quinn, whose former name may have been Byrne?. They had one son, Luke McTigue, who died in 1945. Mark McTigue's mother was Celia Quinn, Creevard, Kilvine. Do you have other details on this family. Michael

Junekw

Default Mark McTigue

Hi Michael,
    The widow who married Mark McTigue was Mary Quinn nee Burns. Mary was the widow of Michael Quinn mentioned in my post. (who was the older brother of Catherine Quinn who married Thomas Duane).
    I have scraps of information on the McTighe/McTigue family;
    Patrick McTighe 1798-1872 married Celia Quinn and I have 9 children for them
    Michael b 1827, Luke b 1829, Patrick b 1834, Mark b 1836, Catherine b 1837, Richard b 1840, Thomas b 1842, Mary b 1847 and Celia b 1853.

Thomas 1842-1900 also emmigrated to America and married Catherine Gaynor.
    Their children were John Gaynor McTigue and Celia Agnes McTigue. Celia visited Ireland in 1907 and wrote a diary of her trip which descendents of John Gaynor published in the local magazine. I can send you a copy of that if you would like.

When Mark McTigue married Mary Quinn nee Burns Mary already had 4 children from her marriage to Michael Quinn - Patrick, John, Kate and Michael and then as you say they had 1 child Luke.

The McTighe and Duane/Divine families were definitely friends but I don't know if the Quinns in both families were related to eachother or not and I am struggling with my quest to find out.

Hope this info is useful to you. Which McTighe is your family branch?

June

kirrane

Hello June, My great-grand mother was Mary McTigue, sister of Mark, Kokomo. She was born in 1847, the great famine period. She married my g/g father, John Kirrane and their first son, my grandfather, Thomas Kirrane was born in 1867. Mary & John had a small farm at Knockadoon, Irishtown - my birth place. Mark McTigue's father, Pat, was a herd and his wife's (Celia Quinn, Creevard, Kilvine) family were also herds.

You may have visited the web site edanddebby.com/HCC/crownpt/index. This lists the grave plots at Crown Point, Kokomo, with photographs of gravestones, including Mark's and Quinn's. I wonder was Mark a cousin of of his wife's first husband? Mark's newspaper obituary of 1906 stated that Mark, on emigrating to USA, travelled to Cambridge city, Indiana, where he had "kinspeople".

I have read the 1907 diary of Celia McTigue. Members of her family, Mark & Jerry McTigue, have visited us from New York on a few occasions. We had a lovely get-together of many cousins in Bourke's pub, Irishtown a few years ago. I now live up the road from Irishtown, at Tuam.

Are there any of your family, Devine, now living in Kilvine? I know a Mattie Devine and a Mattie Devane, who live there presently. There was a third family, John Devane, living there but he died in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks for your information.

Bye for now.

Michael

Junekw

Default Irishtown

Hello Michael,

It was nice to read that you are still living near your place of birth as so many seemed to have left.

My Father in Law visited Irishtown last year in the hope of finding Duane/Devine family members but was unsuccessful. We know that William, Thomas and Martin left Ireland but were hoping to find descendents of the other siblings or descendents of cousins.

Church records didn't start until the late 1800s but he did see and get copies of school records for the children who attended Irishtown NS thanks to the wonderful help of Gerard Conroy the current Principal.

My search for family members still living in Irishtown is an on-going project as is trying to find out more on the Quinns in our family.

I have seen the site containing the gravestones in Crown Point, what excellent work someone has done putting that together. I have also read the articles in the Ballindine Post about Mark and Jerry McTigues first visit to Ireland, I thought it was wonderful how you all got together and now keep in touch.

Thank you for the information in your post and I have noted with interest your mention of two Devine/Devane families still living in the area. I will keep plodding on and hopefully get there soon!

Take care. Bye for now.

June

The Cloggie

Default Burkes from Creevard (Craobh Ard in Irish)

Quote Originally Posted by Junekw View Post
    My families from Kilvine, Co Mayo are the Quinn family and the Duane/Divane/Devine/Divine and many other variations.

Thomas Duane married (or possibly pretended to marry, as despite extensive searches a record of marriage eludes us) Catherine/Kate/Kitty Quinn and had the following children;
    Patrick Duane b 1865
    William Duane b 1867
    Thomas Duane b 1869
    Winifred Devane b 1870
    Bridget Devane b 1872 and
    Martin Devane b 1874.

All the children except Winifred who died in infancy attended Irishtown National School and their surname at school was Divane.
    William emigrated to New York, USA in 1888 and his name was Devine.
    Thomas moved to Stockport, England and his name was Divine.
    Martin also moved to Stockport, England and his name was Devine.

If anyone can help with what happened to Patrick and Bridget I would be most grateful. Aslo Catherine Quinn had an older brother, Michael who emigrated to Indiana, USA. He was b 1824 and d 1864 in Kokomo and is buried with Mark McTigue and members of his family at Crown Point. Any help with the Quinn family will be gratefully received.

Thank you for reading this epic. June
    Hello June,

I am a Burke descended from the Burkes in house no.5 (census of 1901) in Kilvine Co. Mayo. My grandfather (Patrick Burke)was 8 at the time and they lived "nextdoor" to Quinns. They were on very good terms with each other. James Quinn was the father and he also had a son James or Jimmy (as he was known). I believe it was James Quinn who was the first to purchase and erect an iron gate in that area. The crossroads nearby became known as "Quinny's Iron Gate" but I do not know which crossroads it is. People came from all over to see this gate I was told. When my grandfather lay dying his last wish was to be brought back to Mayo (from county Galway) and he wanted to be dropped off at "Quinny's Iron Gate". This was not possible as he was simply to ill to travel. Next year I will go to visit Creevard with my wife and children (all Dutch). My grandfathers brothers were: Jacky, Thomas, and Walter (Burke).

Kind regards,

Gareth Peter Burke