Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Probably Mark and Neil can sort out your problems more easily Glenys, because they understand HTML, but I am a bit confused as to what you say about Front Page 2003. I can't say I've noticed any of these extra things you talk about, and part of the reason I use it is that I can write the pages without viewing or writing a single piece of HTML code - just as if I am producing a document in Word. I have it set to Design (bottom left) and only see HTML if I click on Code. Even clicking on code for my pages I don't see this 'webbot' anywhere at all
    Don't worry about it Sue!

I don't look at the code either....I set it to design also and sail away quite happily. When I have a problem, I then click on code and look at it to see if I can spot what is wrong. Hence I looked at it when my photos didn't appear.

The only time I have seen the `webbot' code is on the page with my photos. I did do a `google' search for webbot, but it was so confusing and I didn't understand it...plus it didn't mention photos, so I gave up on that! I suspect that as you did your photos in a different way, the problem didn't arise. I also think that a lot of it is to do with the A* code interfering. Mark very kindly helped me when some of the pages weren't appearing properly in the tables after upload, and he stripped it out and just left my code in so that I could check what was wrong. After a lot of fiddling, I finally managed to get the pages right. THEN.....this problem with the photos reared it's head. One thing is for sure.....I will never use FP to do another site, or use A* Freepages. Mind you, I don't think I will ever do another website again!

Glenys

MarkJ

The webbot thing is to do with the Photo Gallery part of the Front Page program Glenys.

I wonder if the program places the photos in the folders - on your computer - but, when you upload the page, the folders are not being uploaded too. That is how it appears Glen. I tried a few obvious tricks to try to get a picture to load up - but, despite my best efforts, I got nothing - so it does seem as though those folders were not uploaded automatically. Can you not try uploading the folder manually?

Mark

busyglen

I have just sent you a copy of a page from the manual (PDF) in case it explains a bit more.

I have tried up loading the gallery file, and also the real. file (which seem to contain the photos as well) but they still don't display.

I'll have another play around and see what happens.

Glen

busyglen

I have two manuals (both a bit different) but basically say the same.

One of the statements is: FP automatically saves the pictures with the Web page and copies the thumbnails and the full versions of the photos to the Web when you publish.

That's as far as it goes.

Will have another fiddle anyway and see what happens.

Glen

Sounds like there could be a upload problem here. Possibly that the files are being uploaded in a different format to what is required. There is Binary and ASCII mode, I use the FTP from FireFox and you can state which files you need to be ASCII, or you can use Automatic Mode which mine is generally on. This is accessed from the FTP's Tools/Options. Have a look at FP to see if there is anything similar in there and add your file extensions names to it, i.e. html, php or whatever.

MarkJ

Photos would be binary mode.

But I think I *might* have come up with a bit of a clue.

Glen is unable to upload the folder with the picture - so, I have been nosing around the website who host her site and I suspect she may have to manually create a folder on the webspace to acommodate the pictures....
    Not sure if she is using FTP client or not or if there is some web-based thing. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow....

Mark

Famous for offering help & advice

I've never used FrontPage so can't help with that, but I do have a site at Rootsweb. When I first signed up I joined their freepages support mailing list, and I've just remembered that one of the issues which came up from time to time was that the site doesn't (or didn't then) support FP extensions. Now I haven't a clue what that means, but it's just occurred to me that it might be connected with the problems you're having. Maybe one of our resident experts might be able to comment.

Arthur

MarkJ

Cheers Arthur. Not being a FP person myself - nor a Rootsweb one - that is certainly a possibility! Glen is trying to upload some stuff done with the Photo Gallery tool from FP, which *may* be one of those extensions which don't work.
    In the meantime, we have a couple more things to try - but that is another strong candidate for the answer!

Mark

Mary Young

Hi Sue
    You won't see webbots unless you use FrontPage active content, such as Shared Borders, Navigation Bars, Forms, Includes, Timestamps etc.

MarkJ

Cor blimey! It is all very confusing this Front Page lark!
    Thanks for the input Mary - it explains why Glen sees these webbot entires and Sue doesn't.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast