Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    stephvincent

Smile Ellis (Thompson) Jackson

Hi All,
    Basically my friend has asked me, as she knows I love all this family history stuff, to help try and trace her grandfather's roots. His name was Ellis Thompson Jackson, after moving to England from, we think, Morris Town New Jersey USA, he featured on "The Billy Cotton Show" , I actually have no idea what this is, but apparently it is well known. On this show he was an african american trombonist and tapdancer. According to other sources he was born on 29/04/1891 and died 17/12/1989 in Twickenham, Middlesex, England.It is believed he arrived in the UK around 1907. She has told me she is not really after anything specific just some sort of background to his family, like did he have bros or sis? I have no access to anything American, so I thought what better place to ask kind people to help!!!! Anyway hope you can help, just anything will do no matter how small!!
    Thanks
    Steph & Steph
    xxxxxxx

Jan1954

The Billy Cotton Band Show used to be on the radio and television when I was a child.

You have just evoked such memories!

"Somebody stole my gal..."

Mutley

According to this link he was in

[tap dancer with Billy Cotton's Band]
    CAVALCADE OF VARIETY (1941)
    Cast Member BLACK AND WHITE (1929)
    Cast Member MOODY'S CLUB FOLLIES (1923

Sheridanfine

Hi Steph & Steph

Although you didn't want specifics, I thought it would be easier totranscribe the details...

World War I Draft Card

Name: Ellis Thompson Jackson Jr., age 27
    Homeaddress, 245 Rosendale Rd., West Dulwich, London S.E.
    Birthplace, Morristown, New Jersey, United States of America
    Date of birth, 29 April 1891
    Race: Colored (Black)

Trade, Music Hall Artist
    Employed by Ellis Thompson Jackson, Music Halls in Great Britain

Dependants for support, Wife and five children

County, Morris
    State, New Jersey
    Roll, 1712356
    DraftBoard, 1

Found the family in 1900 census, 26 Water? Street, Morristown Ward 2, Morris, New Jersey

Head, Ellis Jackson, age 31, born May 1869 in New Jersey, parents born Pennsylvania, occupation Musician
    Wife, Anna E, age 28, born ? in New York, parents born New York
    Married for 10 years

Son, Ellis T Jackson, age 8, born April 1892 in New Jersey
    Daughter, Lillian G Jackson, age 10, born March 1890 in New Jersey
    Brother, Harry M Jackson, age 23, born April 1877 in New Jersey, occcupation Laborer

There are three passport application for Ellis Thompson Jackson senior (with a great photo)and from the information on those, it shows his father as Josiah Jackson.

so.....

1870 census, Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey. Post Office, Bound Brook

Francis(sic) M Jackson, age 23, keeping house, born Pennsylvania
    Sherman E, age 3, born New Jersey
    Ellis, age 1, born New Jersey

In the household of James Fitzgerald is Josiah Jackson age 34, laborer born Pennsylvania

Cannot find Ellis snr or mother frances in 1880 but have found Josiah

New Market, Middlesex, New Jersey

Josiah Jackson is a servant in the household of Mahlon Vail. He is aged 45, born Pennsylvania, parents born Pennsylvania

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Yvonne

Sheridanfine

A little more!

Ellis Thompson Jackson snr ' declaration on 1920 passport application

I maintain the following family ties

"My mother, Fanny Jackson, 5 Green Street, Morristown, NJ and six brother, Sherman E, Harvey A, George, William, John and Robert Jackson all residing at 5 Green Street, Morristown, NJ with my mother. I maintain a correspondence with all of them regularly."

Father Josiah Jackson of West Chester, Pa. is deceased

So going back another generation...

1850 census, West Goshen, Chester, Pennsylvania

Abraham Jackson, age 33, laborer, born Pennsylvania
    Sally Ann, age 33, born Penn
    Irwin, age 11, born Penn
    Josiah, age 9, born Penn
    Ann E, age 8, born Penn
    Ezilla Ann, age 6, born Penn
    Rebecca Jane, age 2, born Penn

Best wishes

Yvonne

CanCan

OMG do I remember the Billy Cotton Band Show ( first time round)

But I am only 32 Honest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephvincent

Smile

Many thanks for all the info, Steph's very happy with it all and would be grateful for any more you are able to find also pictures if they are available... Thanks very much!
    Steph & Steph
    xxxx

BritGirlTaylor

Just hooked up to this site while trying to find information on Ellis Thompson Jackson Snr - who is my fathers step father. He passed away in 1948. Is there is anyone out there that is related? - I am trying to connect a lot of dots and would love to hear from you!

anona

Hi,
    I am Ellis Jackson Jnr's great niece my Grandfather was his brother I don't know too much of the history as very little was talked about I believe that Ellis has a grandaughter on here and I would love to hear from her I think that makes us 2nd cousins! My email address is anonamartinez AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk

tonim79

Default Ellis Thompson Jackson snr is my gradfather

Quote Originally Posted by stephvincent View Post
    Hi All,
    Basically my friend has asked me, as she knows I love all this family history stuff, to help try and trace her grandfather's roots. His name was Ellis Thompson Jackson, after moving to England from, we think, Morris Town New Jersey USA, he featured on "The Billy Cotton Show" , I actually have no idea what this is, but apparently it is well known. On this show he was an african american trombonist and tapdancer. According to other sources he was born on 29/04/1891 and died 17/12/1989 in Twickenham, Middlesex, England.It is believed he arrived in the UK around 1907. She has told me she is not really after anything specific just some sort of background to his family, like did he have bros or sis? I have no access to anything American, so I thought what better place to ask kind people to help!!!! Anyway hope you can help, just anything will do no matter how small!!
    Thanks
    Steph & Steph
    xxxxxxx

Hi,
    I think this means your friend is my second cousin, as Ellis Thompson Jackson Snr was my grandfather, my fathers father. So your friends grandfather Ellis Thompson Jackson Jnr would have been my dad's half brother.
    BW
    Toni

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast