Garden12

Default Certificate for a Death in India 1897

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site. I've read through quite a few posts in order to find the answer to my question, so please forgive me if the answer is here somewhere and I've missed it.

Can anybody tell me how - or where - to obtain a copy of a certificate for a death in India ? From an entry on Ancestry / Army Returns / 1898 to 1900 there is the following :

EDEN, Henry Thomas, age 22, (Station) Satara, (Year died) 1897, (Page no.) 565

I am convinced that this is my ancestor for several reasons .
    1. I have a copy of his birth cert so I know I have his name and age correct.
    2. I have searched through the uk BMD's and found nothing that even remotely "fits" for a death or marriage.
    3. He appears on the 1881 census as a 5 yr old, although is missing fom the 1891 return. Was he already in India ?

I emailed the British Library and received a very polite reply from a man explaining that he had checked the Bombay burial register for 1897 and there was only one Eden - a Harry, age 27. I have since been told that Henry and Harry are interchangeable !! Interestingly, he also said that this man served with the 2nd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment - which is where he was from and quite a few other family members also served with The Middlesex. However, 27 is too old, and his birth cert and census entry definitely say Henry.

I have ordered many certificates from the GRO, but these have always been the normal BMD, and I have supplied the look-up references. So where do I go from here ?

It will all have to be done online as a personal trip anywhere is out of the question, but I would appreciate any guidance. I apologise for such a long-winded question, but I wanted to give you as many facts as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this question.

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by Garden12
    I'm new to this site. I've read through quite a few posts in order to find the answer to my question, so please forgive me if the answer is here somewhere and I've missed it.
    Worry not, it has been asked before, but from memory, not for sometime

Can anybody tell me how - or where - to obtain a copy of a certificate for a death in India ? From an entry on Ancestry / Army Returns / 1898 to 1900 there is the following :

EDEN, Henry Thomas, age 22, (Station) Satara, (Year died) 1897, (Page no.) 565
    This is an entry in the GRO Army deaths indices 1881-1955. Copies of certificates can be ordered from the GRO using the full reference tha you have found.

Interestingly, he also said that this man served with the 2nd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment - which is where he was from and quite a few other family members also served with The Middlesex. However, 27 is too old, and his birth cert and census entry definitely say Henry.
    He could have lied about his age - or - the document may have been written sloppily, 22 and 27 can appear very similar.

Details of his military service should be at TNA, Kew.

Have you also tried searching the online databases for the India Office Library and FIBIS?

Garden12

Hello Geoffers,

Thanks for your reply.

First of all, regarding ordering the certificate from the GRO, I shall take another look at the site and see what happens.

Secondly, I wouldn't know how to go about checking his military details at TNA - but I'll give it a go.

Finally, I haven't checked the India Office Library or FIBIS as I haven't heard of either of them .....I don't even know what FIBIS stands for.............but I'm sure I can google it.

Thanks again.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Garden12
    First of all, regarding ordering the certificate from the GRO, I shall take another look at the site and see what happens.
    It can be done, I have 20+ simlar certificates, though it's been a good whilse since I ordered one.

[quote]Secondly, I wouldn't know how to go about checking his military details at TNA - but I'll give it a go.[quote]

Have a browse of their research guides click on the links prefixed 'British Army'.

Finally, I haven't checked the India Office Library or FIBIS as I haven't heard of either of them .....I don't even know what FIBIS stands for..but I'm sure I can google it.
    India Office Library (part of the British Library) has an online catalogue

FIBIS - Famlies in British India Society, just put FIBIS into a search engine and it will turn up.

Garden12

Geoffers -

Thanks again for your help. I have now ordered Henry's death certificate from the GRO and it will be interesting to see what turns up, especially as I don't know what type of details will be reported. I assume it will be fairly similar in content to an E/W death certificate. Anyway, I'll know soon enough.

I've also had a look at the other sites you mentioned. Hopefully they will come in very handy once the certificate arrives.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to be so specific - it really is a big help to someone like me.

Christine.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Henry Thomas Eden - ancestor

Quote Originally Posted by Garden12 View Post
    Geoffers -

Thanks again for your help. I have now ordered Henry's death certificate from the GRO and it will be interesting to see what turns up, especially as I don't know what type of details will be reported. I assume it will be fairly similar in content to an E/W death certificate. Anyway, I'll know soon enough.

I've also had a look at the other sites you mentioned. Hopefully they will come in very handy once the certificate arrives.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to be so specific - it really is a big help to someone like me.

Christine.
    Hi Christine, I am hoping you are still a member after all this time. I came across your entry about Henry on a google search. He is part of my family tree as well. I am descended from his brother Jonathan William Eden, b 1870 line.
    I was interested in the fact that Henry had died in India and note that you were going to order a copy of his death certificate. Could I be awfully cheeky and ask if you would let me have a copy of this document for my records? If this is ok I will let you have my email address. If you want any info that I have, please let me know.
    Thank you
    Carol

Reputation beyond repute

I was interested in the fact that Henry had died in India and note that you were going to order a copy of his death certificate.
    Have you seen his service record on Findmypast? Quite colourful.

It gives you the date of death but not the cause.

Garden12

(deleted message - have emailed privately)

Garden12

Peter - unfortunately I am no longer a member, and the site has changed appearance since I last used it, so no, I haven't seen his service record. Thanks for the heads up though - I'm now intrigued to find out more.