Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Question Desperately seeking Howard James Markland

Howard James Markland was born Belgium 1929 possibly with English citizenship.
    I am told by his Canadian niece that he died Toronto abt 1974/5
    He lived with and was married to 1 of the follwing ladies, Joan, Jessica & Lemyne. No children from these relationships.
    He was a salesman for the Canadian Gypsum company.
    Mount Pleasent Group of Cemeteries have confirmed that he is not buried in their cemeteries.
    I have also searched the Toronto Star around 1972-1979 without success.
    His only family (dead brothers children are not able to give any more information).

I would greatly appreciate any help in locating this cousin.

v.wells

Ontario Vital Statistics (no online indexes; microfilms can be borrowed on interlibrary loan; certificates can be ordered) https://www.archives.gov.on.ca/englis...oan/vsmain.htm

Ontario Genealogical Society (umbrella society - has 30 branches in the different counties of Ontario) https://www.ogs.on.ca

A*y.ca doesn't have any Ontario bmd's past 1920 ish. What religion was he as there are many cemeteries in Toronto. At that time there would be the The Toronto Telegram and The Globe & Mail newspapers. I don't remember if the Star was up an running 'til the mid 70's.

The Canada Forum has lots of resources listed. Unfortunately, since Canada is huge and has 10 provinces, none of the governments want to centralize genealogy information and only a few willing locales are actually online.

Do you know his address in Toronto - that would help narrow down possible local newspapers. I worked for the Mississauga Times back in the late 60's and they produced several papers for different areas. Also what yrs did he work at the Canadian Gypsum Company. You might be able to email the Company for employment/address information. www.canada411.com is a start for telephone/address lookup for the company. Also there are the Henderson Directories as another avenue to look him up for those specific years.

https://historicity.torontopubliclibr...irIntroduction and https://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/toron...c/1475456.html

Hope that helps

I am sure Mary Anne will step in and help you as she is superb at Canadian Research.
    Last edited by v.wells; 11-07-2008 at 2:45 AM. Reason: Had to add a lot more, sorry and had more to add

A fountain of knowledge

The Toronto Star has a site called "The Star Pages of the Past"
    (thestar.pagesofthepast.ca)
    There is a nominal fee for this site, you can access all kinds of information from this site, death records, obits,where the person was interred, etc.
    The records span from 1894 to 2002.

This site has very good coverage, whilst most other sites start after 1980.
    I have since email the CGC although I don't feel luckly given your privacy laws.
    Whats on this page is about all I know other than his childhood would probably have been in Montreal where his father was cremated (Mount Royal).
    Last edited by Jan1954; 11-07-2008 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Mahala

Would Howard's father have been H.W. Markland, photo engraver?

If so, he's listed in online Montreal directories starting by 1928, up to 1941.

Oops, I just noticed Howard was born in Belgium so it couldn't be his father!
    Maybe a relative?
    Last edited by Mahala; 11-07-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: to add last line!

v.wells

Chisel, have you found him on the passenger lists yet. He would have travelled with his parents. Thanks for pages of the past tip. It might help me in the future.

https://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/largecem.html - found this list while googling. It could be useful
    Last edited by v.wells; 11-07-2008 at 3:07 PM. Reason: added last line of info

A fountain of knowledge

Mahala, Howards father was Norman Markland (Engish) who died 1943 was cremated at Mount Royal, Montreal.
    They won't be directly related.
    The family Norman, 2nd wife Christian Isobel, Howard & Edward Brian left England 1936. Norman travelled back to Eng 1937 for business.

I have also had a very quick reply from the CGC to are unwilling to provide any additional information.

v.wells, The Mount Pleasent cemetery was most helpful, other suggestions were,
    The Archives of Ontario
    77 Grenville Street
    Toronto, Ontario
    M7A 2R9
    Attention: Vital Statistics Reference Archivist
    Or by Vital Statistics Hotline: (416) 327-1593
    This is for obits etc.

Toronto Reference Library
    Canadian History Department
    Baldwin Room
    789 Yonge Street (Yonge and Bloor intersection)
    Toronto, Ontario
    M4W 2G8
    (416) 393-7131

Great place to find all kinds of information for conducting a genealogy search

Ontario Genealogical Society Library
    North York Central Library
    Canadiana Department
    5120 Yonge Street
    Willowdale, Ontario
    M2N 5N9

Office of the Registrar General
    P.O. Box #4600
    189 Red River Road
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    P7B 6L8

Websites to try:
    The Toronto Star has a site called "The Star Pages of the Past"
    There is a nominal fee for this site, you can access all kinds of information from this site, death records, obits,where the person was interred, etc.
    The records span from 1894 to 2002.

The best place to start is always the library if possible, but the sites are super as well.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 11-07-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Commercial links edited or removed

v.wells

Chisel

What a great source you are! Good tips and I may use them in the future - I don't have much research in Canada - all my folks are UK

Mahala

Hi Chisel:

This doesn't help you find Howard's death/burial but it confirms his childhood was in Montreal:

1937 Directory of Montreal:
    Markland Norman mgr Candn Spool Cotton 5587 Queen Mary rd Town of Hampstead

1938-42: same

1943 Markland Mrs. C.I. wid. N 5587 Queen Mary rd (H)
    1944 Markland Mrs. C.I. wid N 5590 Qn Mary rd (H)
    1945-49, same

After this Mrs. C.I. moved and was listed as a teacher.

Hope this helps.

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks but already knew that bit from another thread. The decendants still live in the original house. Unfortunately the eldest daughter was only able to give me broad info on Howard without being too specific. Still most grateful for what she did supply.

A fountain of knowledge

OK, here's my weasel of a plan. Since I know that he worked for the CGC hopefully he lived close by. GoogleMaps indicates 10 cemeteries which I will contact all. then its just a matter of expanding the search.
    Does canada have electoral rolls of 1970's available at their libraries?
    Last edited by Chisel; 12-07-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast