Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mahala

It looks like they have 1974, 1972, 1968,...

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...911.006-e.html

I wonder if there were provincial voters' lists too?

Mary Anne

Chisel

You have already got some fabulous tips from a variety of folks! I am coming in late becasue I was on holiday - away from comupters and Internet!

Since you are in contact with a direct relation, you COULD ask her to provide you with authorization to obtain the death certificate from Ontario Vital Statistics. That might be the easiest route, if she is willing (and she may be if you agree to do all the leg-work). That could also, perhaps, encourage CGC to open their files...

Failing that, the voters' lists are a good idea. As has been pointed out, the federal ones are online. There would also be provincial election voters' lists, but I am not sure how accessible they are...Try this informative page with many links...https://canadaonline.about.com/od/pro...rslistsont.htm

You might also try writing to the Ontario Genealogical Society enquiries desk and asking for someone to look up Toronto Telephone Directories for you, to see if you can establish that he actually was there during the time period you are looking for. Keep in mind that Toronto is a huge urban area...as with the cemeteries, you may find that he lived in a suburb of Toronto and he is actually buried in a cemetery that is not in *Toronto proper* (as Mount Pleasant is) but in a cemetery in a local suburb, like Markham or Oshawa, for example. Having said that, the "Metro Toronto" Telephone Directory will cover these areas, so you should be able to find him, if he lived in the area. He may have commuted quite far to get to work at the CGC...in the 1970's you would want to be looking at communities along the lakeshore, for the most part, since that is where the main commuter train ran then (now it has expanded far into the north as well)...Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Etobicoke, in the west, and in the east, Milton, Oshawa (and now I run out of places because I lived mostly in the west side)...but Google will help you - or you could try looking at the GO Transit website and seeing where their stations are to the east...these were mostly previously towns that have since been absorbed into Metro Toronto.

BTW, I am told that the records of the Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries are in a horrible state, given that they (the Group) represents the amalgamation of a number of cemeteries, so you may want to keep them still in the back of your mind - their answer of *no* may not be as definitive as they made it sound!

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks for the suggestions, however your post came a few hours too late. I have just ordered $Can15 a search for his death. This will give me an exact date to order a certificate when he is found (anybody can order death certificates).

Re. further help from he nieces is unlikely to be forth coming.

So far the Mt Pleasent have confirmed that Howard is not buried within any of their 10 cemeteries and Park Lawn also confirm that he isn't in Riverside, Santuary Park & Park Lawn. Westminster & Forest Lawn are currently being checked.
    To the cemetery peoples credit I have found them to be very helpful.

Your comment re. commuting has had me worried, as a reference to Toronto could include a very large surrounding area. Especially since CGysumCo is in Mississauga.
    I am also assuming that most people would only commute 1hr max? to base my search area upon. Hopefully the death search will find him.

The CGysumCo have confirmed that they won't even hint at the general area that he was living. Quite disappointing as I don't feel any privacy laws are being broken. My mistake was to not ask to speak to somebody that knew him.
    I will consider the CGS when I have more information.............I will add that the CGS only accept cheques or money orders which are not practical(chq) or expensive(mney order) Whats wrong with credit cards?

Mary Anne

Chisel

Great that you can get the death cert. I forgot that little wrinkle (kind of blows the privacy stuff to...but never mind)

I wouldn't worry about the commuting issue -- if the Cdn Gypsum is in Mississauga it is HIGHLY likely he lived in that direction - probably why he's not at Mt Pleasant, or any of the other central Toronto cemeteries. POrobably he would have lived in Mississauga (which consisted in the 1970s of a number of villages also - Streetsville comes to mind for example) or in Oakville or Burlington. HIGHLY unlikely to have lived on the east side of Toronto so you can eliminate that I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by "CGS accept only...". You can make an enquiry (if you are talking about the Ontario Genealogical Society) and a volunteer will help you. FREE. Have a look at www.ogs.on.ca

Good luck!!

Mary Anne

A fountain of knowledge

Did not realise that some research was free. I have written to them, so fingers crossed that they can find my man.
    I'll keep looking in the general direction that you have suggested.

v.wells

Chisel

When I lived in Oakville, from 1955 - 1970 It took 37 mins via train to Toronto downtown centre. Oakville was roughly 45 mins -1 hr drive back then. So it is possible that he lived elsewhere. Mississauga was about 20 min away between Oakville and Toronto. Mississauga is made up of Brampton, Streetsville, Port Credit (Peel Region).

You are in good hands now with Mary Anne's guidance!

Mary Anne

Thanks, Vanessa for providing some of the names I forgot out *west*. Ditto when I lived there in the mid to late 1970s. I could even get into Toronto in less than an hour by car if I left before 7 a.m. Alas no more. I am also told my used-to-be-20-minute drive north to the airport from Clarkson (now in Mississauga) has ballooned to sometimes as much as 2 hours because of the traffic volume!! But of course the GO Trains/Buses cut the commuting time substantially. Wish we had as good service here in poky old Ottawa!

One resource that I did try also was Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid (OCFA) and there was no Howard Markland in their index, although OCFA is based on transcriptions of local cemeteries by local Ontario groups, and they may not have transcribed the cemetery he is in as late as 1974 or so.

Mary Anne

Chisel -- do let us know what the various feelers you have put out come up with, especially if we can help further with locations.

v.wells

Chisel

I will make a special trip to our downtown library on Monday and have a look in the Toronto Telephone Directories. I know they have them as some yrs back I had to lookup someone I needed to find. I really would like to help you somehow.

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks, any personal service is appreciated . I have since googlemaped cemeteries in the Mississauga area and most don't have email contact numbers. Therefore was going to phone but this can cause problems with bad phone lines over long distances coupled with accents.
    Will wait to see if you can find him or the death seach narrows the search area.

v.wells

Well, Chisel it seems like our main branch no longer keeps Ontario phone books due to lack of storage. I was going to go tomorrow to look it up. The idiots only keep Alberta phone books

We now need to find someone in Ontario (and there are a few B-G members) who can go to their main library and look it up for you.

It's an easy name Howard Markland and he should be in the 1973-4 Metropolitan Toronto telephone book or Henderson's directory for those years. It is possible he had an unlisted number but he would in all probably be in the Henderson's directory (they had no scruples about who they included).

I will email my daughter, but I doubt she knows what a library looks like
    Don't give up just yet!

I have emailed the info and bribed her with money

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast