Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tikira

Default CROSKELL, HORNBY,Thurnham area

Hello everyone
    We are looking for CROSKELL, HATHORNTHWAITE, HORNBY, PENNINGTON, to name a few, in Lancashire.

I am new to your forum, and yesterday introduced myself under "If only our ancestors could tell us). Already the mention of my Croskell interest has received responses, which I am grateful for.

We have done a lot of research on these lines,including a trip to Lancashire in 1993, but are having trouble fleshing out the bones. We rarely find anyone researching these families, so we keep looking.

Alfred Henry CROSKELL (14.7.1868- 25.9.1954) and Winifred HORNBY (Oct- Dec- 1871 St Michael's on Wyre- 10.4.1938 Glen Innes NSW) married (date unknown) Emigrated in 1910 aboard the Everton Grange). Winifred was an only child, born to Thomas HORNBY and Grace PARKER

Children
    Thomas b. 1897 Glazzin Dock (Is this right? Info from Jack who had a broad accent)
    George b. 1898 Glazzin Dock
    John (Jack) b. 1900 Glazzin Dock)
    Anne b. 1902
    Grace b. 31.3.1903 Forton (Norbrick Cottage)
    Henry (Harry) b. 15.3.1905 Forton (Norbrick Cottage)
    James (Jim) b. 2.8.1907 Forton (Norbrick Cottage)
    Margaret b. 25.3.1913 Glan Innes NSW Australia (my grandmother)

Alfred Henry CROSKELL's parents were John CROSKELL (b.1832 Overton- d.1910 Galgate), and Margaret Ann PENNINGTON (b. 1835 Heysham- d. 1916 Thurnham) marr. 1856 and had 9 children.

John CROSKELL's parents were Joseph CROSKELL (b. 1795 Ellel- d.1855, Galgate) and Ellen HARRISON (b.1793 Cleavely Lanes- d.1874 Galgate) and had 10 children.

Joseph's CROSKELL's parents were George CROSKELL (b.1758 Ellel-d.1832 Galgate) and Hannah HATHORNTHWAITE (b. 1761 Lancaster - d.1819 Galgate) and had 7 children.

George CROSKELL's parents was Thomas (1721-22-1788) Cockerham and Bridget? and Thomas CROSKELL's father was George. They had 6 children.

This is only the name line, I will post the others later, but it get too dry otherwise, Sorry.
    As you can see, we have good "bone structure" here.
    The main reason was Jack Croskell, who we had a good relationship with, was happy to recall his life in Lancashire, and even though he was 10 when they left, every bit of information he gave was right, leaving asside our misinterpretations of his accent, which he never lost.

It would be great to turn up relations reseaching these names, this is one of our best researched lines, and we are keen to be able to share it with someone who is intersted.
    I appologise for the long winded explanation, but as we all know it takes ages to put enough information in for people to get the right family, but at the moment I believe most Croskell names to be linked in some way (of course, this is looking at the world upside down in Australia , and can change anytime), and so any snippet of info is gratefully received, who knows, it may get us out of the bog we find ourselves in on this line.

Astoria

Default Hello

Firstly it is Glasson Dock, I can just hear Jack saying it 'our lass.'

Popped to the library today, didn't have a great deal of time, but they have the Parish Registers for,
    Pilling 1630 - 1721
    Garstang 1567 - 1658
    Cockerham 1595 - 1657

Pilling I found

Christopher fil. Oswaldi Croskell christening I think, 13 April 1677.

Oswald Croskell minister of Pilling was baptised ye second of May in ye year of our Lord 1651 - IGI have this as an adult christening.

Oswald Croskell Curat de Pilling and Susanna Tomlinson married 17 Jan. 1675.

Interesting because I imagine ecclesiastical records will be somewhere.

Garstang

We have a handful of Croskells, will keep my notes, in case you need a look up in the future.

Cockerham

This is the centre of the Croskell empire I think, and as Cockerham is just across the sands from Overton, it would tie in with your family.

I will make a note of the other surnames you mention and have a look next time.

Astoria

Astoria

Default Sorry to post twice

Some Croskell Baptisms for you

Baptism: 25 Jan 1835 Overton, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
    Ann Croskell - Daughter of Joseph Croskell & Ellen
    Abode: Overton
    Baptised by: A Briscoe Incumbent
    Register: Baptism 1813 - 1857, Page 50, Entry 398
    Source: LDS Film 1278941

Baptism: 15 Jun 1828 Overton, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
    Isabella Croskell - Daughter of Joseph Croskell & Ellen
    Baptised by: HS Pocklington Incumbent
    Register: Baptism 1813 - 1857, Page 36, Entry 286

Baptism: 22 Apr 1832 Overton, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
    John Croskell - Son of Joseph Croskell & Ellen
    Baptised by: P Fraser
    Register: Baptism 1813 - 1857, Page 45, Entry 353

Baptism: 21 Feb 1830 Overton, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
    Thomas Croskell - Son of Joseph Croskell & Ellen
    Baptised by: HS Pocklington Incumbent
    Register: Baptism 1813 - 1857, Page 39, Entry 310

No burials in Overton and marriages not available yet, hope this helps.

Astoria.

Tikira

Astoria
    Thank you for your replies, obviously the records for this time are there. I appreciate the time you have taken to type this up for me. It is hard being so far away from primary sources, but we do have an LDS church in Armidale, and so we can go down that route when time permits.
    I am sorry I haven't been onto the forum for some time, but i guess it's better late than never to say thanks.
    Di

Tortiegirl

Hi - just joined this site as I am interested in anyone who was born lived in Thurnham, Lancs and have a database of about 2,500 names - the further back I can go the better! I have Croskells listed - Alfred Henry, Christopher, George, John, Robert, Thomas,Winefred and a Jane Croskill. I also have 50 Hornbys. If I can help, please let me know.

Tikira

Thank you for the offer Tortiegirl. We would be happy to share the information we have. We will PM you with our contact details.

Corbishley

Hi,
    I just joined this site; interested in the family name CORBISHLEY, Thurnham, Cockersand Abbey, and Catholic Lancashire in general.

For CROSKELL, we have George CORBISHLEY maring Elisabeth CROSKELL (daughter of Robert CROSKELL and Winifred BALL) on 07 Apr 1793 in St. Peter's Cathedral, Lancaster. She was born in Dolphinhome, near Lancaster. Died 1813 in Cockersands Abbey (CS Abbey)

A descendent, Thomas CORBISHLEY (born 1845 CS Abbey /died 1904 CS Abbey)… Thomas built the farm house at Cockersand Abbey

Tikira

Thank you for the reply. We had seen that an Elizabeth married George CORBISHLEY, but didn't know her parents. We do not know of a direct link at this stage, but are recording all Croskell names as it is unusual. We have some information on families in the Thurnham area and will PM you to get an email address to send it to you.

Di

Corbishley

Hi Di,
    These were Catholic Croskells as is our Corbishley line. Interesting history, including some very difficult times! My email address is jchw AT algonet DOT se. Thanks for any info.
    Best wishes
    Janet
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 31-01-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: email address edited to deter spammers

Tortiegirl

Haven't been on here for ages but I have a lot of info for both the Corbishleys and the Croskells. I can put it into a doc but don't know how to attach it to my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast