Settling in.

Default info needed on COXSON PLACE, DRUID STREET, HORSLEYDOWN

The above address is where my father was born, number 70 to be exact. We explored the area when in London last week and found Coxson Way, but where we believe Coxson Place was there is a new(ish) housing estate. Oposite this estate is a large block of Victorian Flats called Devon Mansions (formerly Hanover Buildings) We think there may have been other blocks opposite these flats where the newer estate is now, and that Coxson Place was there. Does anyone have any information about this, or even better, photographs of the older flats which are no longer there? We are also interested to hear from anyone who has photos of Church Street (now Roper Lane) before Tower Bridge Road was built through it as this is where my Grandparent lived before my father was born.

Any info would be fantastic, thanks in advance. Peggy

pipsqueak

My first inclination would be to to a web search and an image search for Horsleydown and then google for local history. A lot of London villages have their onw little local interest pages where people post their recollections and photographs. I even found one for the hospital in which I was born and ended up "meeting" people born there at the same time as me.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Reputation beyond repute

Where do you think it was? Google combined with Multimap suggests that Coxson Place is a block on the corner of Coxson Way and Druid Street (non residential I think).

Royal Mail confirms that the only place with that address is the Downside Fisher Youth Club, Coxson Place, Druid Street, London, SE1 2EZ

For pictures, try the LMA and Southwark Local Studies.

Settling in.

Thanks for your thoughts. Have been there, done that! but unfortunately without success, will keep trying! Regards, Peggy

Settling in.

Hi Peter, thanks for your thoughts. You are quite right, that's just where it was, but is there no longer. Saw the youth club, right where we thought the flats used to be. The problem is not where they were, but trying to find something out about them, and possibly a photo, tried the LMA and Southwark Local Studies as you suggested, but no luck so far. Next time we're down in London will try the library, as they must have some old books or photos. Regards, Peggy

Richard Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy1111 View Post
    The above address is where my father was born, number 70 to be exact. We explored the area when in London last week and found Coxson Way, but where we believe Coxson Place was there is a new(ish) housing estate. Oposite this estate is a large block of Victorian Flats called Devon Mansions (formerly Hanover Buildings) We think there may have been other blocks opposite these flats where the newer estate is now, and that Coxson Place was there. Does anyone have any information about this, or even better, photographs of the older flats which are no longer there? We are also interested to hear from anyone who has photos of Church Street (now Roper Lane) before Tower Bridge Road was built through it as this is where my Grandparent lived before my father was born.

Any info would be fantastic, thanks in advance. Peggy
    Hello
    My father was born in coxon Place No10 it was off Druid Street, on the site now is St Johns estate,
    Devon Mansions are in Tooley Street. I am looking into the possibility that my Grandfather owned
    property in the area and around Bermondsey

Would be good to hear from you

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Interesting I have been looking at Coxons place Horsleydown (now Bermondsey) with regard to family ancestor living there as a child according to 1911 census. Ive started to use google maps to find out details of places, and sadly many places have disappeared. So from what others have said so far Coxons Placde was on Druids Street,which is now gone, but very near to Devon Mansion. The is likely since on another set of census info they were living in Hannover Mansion which was the formal name of Devon Masions.

A very warm welcome to Britgen.
    Booth's poverty maps of London
    https://booth.Lse.ac.uk/map/17/-0.0764/51.4998/100/0
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201655
    If you check the eastern edge of this map you will see "Coxsons Place".
    I haven't time to check the adjoining map. But if you go to the nls website and check for Town plans, London you might be able to follow up yourself.

Whichever, will check later.

see https://maps.nls.uk/view/101201658

Bottom western edge of map

Must dash!!

London Street Name Changes -

Present Name Former Name
    Coxsons Place Butler's Place
    Coxsons Place Church Grove
    Coxsons Place Victoria Grove

Booth's poverty map shows the 3 former names.